Defective Tough Guard TG10060 removed C&P

Close up shows no sign of pleats ever being glued to the end cap, so the gap was there from the factory. It didn't tear and go someplace. Hard to imagine how it got glued if it wasn't crimp into a continuous circle before being glued.

1707158811670.jpg

Last edited:
While that is absolutely a horrific filter, it's also the only one we've ever seen here on BITOG that bad. It's an anomaly to be THAT bad.
It's sad to say, but nothing like this is shocking any more.
I'll just chock it up to the race to the bottom; no filter brand is immune from poor quality these days.
If one were to quit using a brand of filter because of the failures posted on BITOG, there'd be no brands left to use. At one time or another in recent findings, pretty much all brands have had some ugly showings. If you swear off any brand with mistakes, you have nothing left.

There was a day when I thought filter cans were better (aka easier) than cartridge filters. "Who'd ever want to mess with a cartridge filter?" I thought to myself.
These days, I'm a fan of cartridge filters. I can see the filter before it's ever installed; inspect the media pleats, the glue adhesion, the center tube ...
Wish all mine were cartridges now.
I have 2 thoughts.. one sometimes can filters are very easy and good idea .. others they are terrible.
same for canister filters.

The can on the hemi is in a very bad place. truck parts on 5 sides of it. and dumps on everything.
I'd prefer anything to this.. ANYTHING.. of course if you have a lift or a stand in oil pit its not as bad.
The oil drains(drainplug) sideways directly into the stabilizer bar too.. sprays all over.

The canister on the 2013 equinox is not too bad if you have the low profile socket 3/8 drive.

I liked the canister on my 3.2L jeep but of course they are the weakspot on the pentastar engine.

The upside down can on subaru FB series is ok a little messy but super easy to change no tools and a couple paper towels.

TLDR Both can be good or bad.

I've been running Supertech and frams for a while now. This is probably a rare occurrence but if it happened to me I'd probably stop using fram.

This is probably a rare occurrence
I actually wonder.

What miniscule number of oil filters actually get cut open. Yes, this group cuts open a lot, and some youtubers and maybe a handful of enthusiasts elsewhere. But I still bet its a absolute tiny fraction of the total filters made. There are 283M cars in the US. IF they all just get 1 filter per year, then were touching maybe 0.001% of them. So 1 in 100,000? Maybe? That would be 2,830 cut opens a year, so 8 per day every day. Probably less than that.

Yet we keep seeing different defects here. How many people / shops slap the filter on, then dump the old filter in the trash, and don't look at anything. I used to.

This is basically a form of sample testing - except our sample is unusually small, after the manufacturer was actually supposed to do their sample testing.

I am willing to bet statistics are on the side of this being far more common than any of us would like to believe.

I actually wonder.

What miniscule number of oil filters actually get cut open. Yes, this group cuts open a lot, and some youtubers and maybe a handful of enthusiasts elsewhere. But I still bet its a absolute tiny fraction of the total filters made. There are 283M cars in the US. IF they all just get 1 filter per year, then were touching maybe 0.001% of them. So 1 in 100,000? Maybe? That would be 2,830 cut opens a year, so 8 per day every day. Probably less than that.

Yet we keep seeing different defects here. How many people / shops slap the filter on, then dump the old filter in the trash, and don't look at anything. I used to.

This is basically a form of sample testing - except our sample is unusually small, after the manufacturer was actually supposed to do their sample testing.

I am willing to bet statistics are on the side of this being far more common than any of us would like to believe.

Also, engines would be exploding left and right. Except they are not. 🤷‍♂️

Close up shows no sign of pleats ever being glued to the end cap, so the gap was there from the factory. It didn't tear and go someplace. Hard to imagine how it got glued if it wasn't crimp into a continuous circle before being glued.
View attachment 202066Was

View attachment 202066
@ZeeOSix, was definitely missing/never there.

Nothing in the can but a few specs/flakes.

Anyone remember the Bob/Tony NO oil filter theory? Didn't Gary run just a screen mesh?
Of course an engine wouldn't blow-up without an oil filter, unless it started eating itself alive for some reason, like a part failure causing massive wear particles, then it would snowball to failure. But little or no oil filtration over a long period could certainly cause much more engine wear.

Last edited:
Shame...I would not call it a filter failure, more like a production failure. Like it was the end of the production run or something and shouldn't have made past inspection and made it to any shelves.

Or maybe a new guy was running the line that day lol...or it was someones last day

I have 2 thoughts.. one sometimes can filters are very easy and good idea .. others they are terrible.
same for canister filters.

The can on the hemi is in a very bad place. truck parts on 5 sides of it. and dumps on everything.
I'd prefer anything to this.. ANYTHING.. of course if you have a lift or a stand in oil pit its not as bad.
The oil drains(drainplug) sideways directly into the stabilizer bar too.. sprays all over.

The canister on the 2013 equinox is not too bad if you have the low profile socket 3/8 drive.

I liked the canister on my 3.2L jeep but of course they are the weakspot on the pentastar engine.

The upside down can on subaru FB series is ok a little messy but super easy to change no tools and a couple paper towels.

TLDR Both can be good or bad.
You make valid points, but they are more relating to the efforts of R&R the filter. Certainly good points you've made.

My point was that a cartridge filter can be easily inspected before installation. There's no way a failure such as this one the OP has shown us would be installed; you'd catch the problem prior to use and therefore avoid the risks associated with this quality defect. You can't do that with a can filter; they are sealed units.

Upside down, meaning base down and vertical?

At an OCI, before draining the oil, punch a hole in the dome of the filter and let it drain for 15 min. That should allow the filter to be removed without puking oil. I use that tick on my Tacoma.

I remember back in 1995, at a Woolworths,Stamford ct iwas 20. Checking out oil filters.lookedvat a fram extra, took it out of box.it had a cigg butt in it. Led me to believe someone at the factory did that. That's when it was allied signal? Made.
The media when I cut them open, moving forward , 2003-05 era,wide spaces in them. AutoZone bought. So I've used them frams...but my experience has taken me back too oem and carquest and napa filters too use
No issues ever. Was gunna say wix...not fan of china made stuff.

The filters that FRAM makes for Subaru have around 50% more media area than the orange cans do, so they're a lot better in that regard.

I think I've seen three different posts on this forum in the last couple of years showing rust issues with the FRAMs that have the grippy coating, including the Ultra. It might not be common, but it's not extremely rare, and it's the worst possible type of filter failure since it can result in a loss of oil pressure.
It’s not rare actually. Seems to be common these days with fram filters rusting.

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
I actually wonder.

Great post I am thinking much the same.

The number of First Brand made issues discovered recently on this forum are alarming, especially since the sample size here is tiny. 😱

Fram/First Brands Responded:

Hello,

We are very sorry you have had this problem. I have forwarded your words and images to the engineering and product management team for a look, and will let you know what they think. Please keep ahold of this filter if you can because further further analysis might be warranted.

I will get back to you once I hear if there is interest in this specific filter.

Very sorry once again for the issues you have encountered, and the inconvenience it has caused as well.

Best regards,
Bob

Email: [email protected]
thumbnail

Great post I am thinking much the same.

The number of First Brand made issues discovered recently on this forum are alarming, especially since the sample size here is tiny. 😱
The only thing is I thought someone mentioned previous in this thread that the date code was ~2014 or so. Not sure how that factors in or if filter manufacturers claim the filters are only good for a window of time.

Engine won't explode with no oil filtration. I daily drove a Studebaker Lark in the 90s for a few years. 259 V8 with no more filtration than the oil pump pickup screen. No provision on the motor for a full flow oil filter. Bypass filter was an option, this car had none. Heater delete even. It got regular changes with Mystik 30. Not a leaker or oil burner. 20 mpg like clockwork until we got oxygenated fuel.

Back