Fram Ultra 15k to 20k rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did 19k on a Fram Ultra, subjecting my truck to things Ford never imagined. No crusted up filter.

It's not breaking news that if your engine is messed up, results may vary.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Mobil 1 has one year or X miles on their box. People seem to skip over the one year. There have been fully clogged and encrusted oil filters shown on here with low mileage, like 3-4 K. Telling people to run a filter for 20-30K because the box has 20k written on it somewhere, is not good advice in my book. Fram has the caveats too, maybe less visible. Severe service is driving in traffic, so that means almost everyone is severe service unless you own your own road. The severe schedule is often skipped in the owner's manuals. IMO the 20K on boxes is bad advertising.

Motorking addressed the capacity of Fram Ultra. That and the synthetic media are two things that allow them to make the 20,000 mile claim.

Fram Ultra Synthetic capcity

I will be changing mine at 3,750 during warranty, not because the filter cannot do more.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Are you guys using the filter for multiple OCIs due to
- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

I guess I don’t see the point when filters are so cheap and engines are not.
Are you leaving your fuel filters in place for multiple fills of fuel due to laziness, convenience, or cost savings?

What's the point of leaving them, when fuel filters are cheap and injection systems are not?

When I was growing up they were pushing the three R's pretty hard. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Guess it rubbed off on me, reduce the number of filters I use by reusing them, then I recycle them when I'm done. If the filter can handle it, why not?

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Mobil 1 has one year or X miles on their box. People seem to skip over the one year. There have been fully clogged and encrusted oil filters shown on here with low mileage, like 3-4 K. Telling people to run a filter for 20-30K because the box has 20k written on it somewhere, is not good advice in my book. Fram has the caveats too, maybe less visible. Severe service is driving in traffic, so that means almost everyone is severe service unless you own your own road. The severe schedule is often skipped in the owner's manuals. IMO the 20K on boxes is bad advertising.

Motorking addressed the capacity of Fram Ultra. That and the synthetic media are two things that allow them to make the 20,000 mile claim.

I will be changing mine at 3,750 during warranty, not because the filter cannot do more.

I have used MK's 1 gram per 1000 miles probably a dozen times on here trying to show the multipass test loads the filter in four hours, while it would be 300-400 hours in the real world. So a filter with slower filtering sections in it could actually be a more efficient filter over time than a winner in the multi pass test. Like a bypass filter. Only MK said is 1g./1000, here he says even the worst engines. That is pretty doubtful, given there are millions of cases out there. I think that was an error of speech, or writing.

The proof is also on filter boxes and the websites that the stated mileage figure is not technically correct. They all say UP TO. They also all say follow the owners manual. Why do they say that? Because the 20 K is stated to sell the filter. I say that is bad advertising. It's not a slam, bad advertising is everywhere all the time. It's not that complicated or unusual what I am saying.

Here is what should be on a box, to me:
1. grams of dirt holding for the filter size in the box.
2. can thickness in 1/1000's in., or "mils"
3. shelf life indoors, an expiration date
4. pressure drop, restriction, when new
5. bypass opening psi
6. efficiency single pass, multi pass, and ideally by real use test.

Do you think Purolator could write "up to" any smaller?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher

From what I have seen, an Ultra could be used almost indefinitely on a clean running engine.
If I drove more, I may try one for a 30k run...

I agree...

I wish Fram had an incentive program to those who wish to try an experiment with endurance applications.

People need to be smarter than the box. It's pretty much that way every where in the consumer world. Ever heard "read the fine print"? That saying has neen around for a very long time for a reason.

The severe schedule is often skipped in the owner's manuals. IMO the 20K on boxes is bad advertising.

Not really... filters just do NOT load up with a clean engine.

Things like TBN, oil shear, etc... many of the reasons we change oil - - do not affect the filter

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

That's why I used the cheap ones under warranty, and switched to the Ultra after the warranty expired.

After all this conjecture, the difference between the 15K and 20K filters is that Fram is now using a real spring instead of the pressed metal cheapie.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Are you guys using the filter for multiple OCIs due to
- laziness
- convenience
- cost savings?

I guess I don’t see the point when filters are so cheap and engines are not.
Yes, Yes,Yes!!!

Fram Marketing at it best, since other company start making 15k miles oil filter ( wix xp , purolator the BOSS ), they bump to 20k , i wonder what fram come up next 25k ?
lol.gif

I have about 17K and 18 months on my 15K M-102 filter; It will be coming off when the temps are mild and the ground is dry.

The filter is on a 2.3L engine that gets 30mpg; It is also the same filter that protects an engine double that size, consuming twice as much gas. I believe I have some head room.....

Guys who replace filters early... do you also throw paint cans away when they are half empty? Paint is cheap, houses are not.... j/k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Fram Marketing at it best, since other company start making 15k miles oil filter ( wix xp , purolator the BOSS ), they bump to 20k , i wonder what fram come up next 25k ?
lol.gif

The Boss and XP don't advertise a 15k OCI. The only filter to advertise that mileage before the Ultra came out was the M1 filter.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
lol.gif

The Boss and XP don't advertise a 15k OCI. The only filter to advertise that mileage before the Ultra came out was the M1 filter.

Seriously and what does the Boss filter have on their box?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
lol.gif

Seriously and what does the Boss filter have on their box?

whoops! Sorry

Yeah, I don't really go to places too much where thy still have the Boss on the shelf
21.gif

Originally Posted By: strombergradio
After all this conjecture, the difference between the 15K and 20K filters is that Fram is now using a real spring instead of the pressed metal cheapie.

Where did you get the idea the "spring" was changed?

If a magnifying glass is used the "up to" is easier to find on the Boss.

And the actual efficiency can't even be find with an electron microscope.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back