Ford Model Ts out for a drive today

wwillson

Staff member
I'm pretty sure these are all model Ts. Both of my grandfathers talked about riding horses to town, then getting used model Ts when they were young and having the privilege of driving to town. I've never driven or even had a ride on one, but sure would like to someday. I think they are really neat.

I believe these car were built long before API SA was release. My Grandpa said the engines wore pretty quickly and it was common to replace the bearings and rings.

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

I wonder what these are? These wooden containers must be original.
IMG_3215.JPG

Cool speedo housing. Anyone know if this is an original Model T piston? I'll bet this car has never buried the needle!
IMG_3216.JPG

This is the first "Horseless Carriage" license plate I've ever seen.
IMG_3217.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome cars. Love the green one. I have some jack stands that are actually made from Model T axle housings. An old mechanic made them back in the 50s and they got passed on to me by his estate sale and his family had the story behind them. The axle housings were definitely strong. Very well built I trust them more than most today.

API came into existence in 1919, and API SA was for cars before 1930?
So there was over 10 years before API that they produced model t's

But api sa was pretty bad put crude through some cheesecloth and into the engine...
ok maybe thats exaggerating abit :LOL:

I do believe T's never had front brakes--anything with a drum up front, isn't a T.

Those wooden boxes look ignition related. Forget what they do, think they are the ignition coil.

Cool cars. A bit crude by today's standards, but part of our nation's history for sure.

The Model T, produced from 1908 to 1927, is considered the 1st affordable car for the masses. Unlike the unreliable, expensive hand made autos before it, the T was built on an assembly line, mostly in the famous Highland Park factory. Something like 15M were built before the advent of the Model A.
This car put America on wheels and showed the world what American ingenuity could do.
In college Business History classes, Henry Ford's Model T is chronicled. It changed the world.

I do believe T's never had front brakes--anything with a drum up front, isn't a T.
This is mostly correct. Model Ts never had front brakes from the factory. The early Ts didn't even have rear brakes, only a brake band in the transmission.

I was talking to a guy in AZ last winter who brought his T to a car show. I commented on the brakes and he said many Ts that are driven on the road today have aftermarket brakes, both front and rear. The reason he told me is that the brakes were pretty bad on Ts and to be driven safely on the road today, need aftermarket brakes.

They did not have dipsticks. They had a fill plug similar to a transmission and you had to crawl under the car to check the oil. Pretty often I assume.

Sae 10,20 and 30 were common. My uncle told me that sae20 was good enough and to use 30 or 40 as the engine wore. Seems like a 20 was ok 100+ years ago its fine for most engines today.

My great grandfather was born in 1870 and he died in 1955. His life must have been amazing. He went from horses to cars,planes refrigerators etc.

wwilson, my wife and I are members of Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford Museum. If ever in the Dearborn area, you can be my guest to ride in a model T at Greenfield Village. Michigan's Gilmore Car Museum has classes to learn to drive a model T:

1694314050815.jpeg

Neat, one of them in 4 door pulled up at our local Cumbies (New England fuel chain) behind me. My 8 year daughter was pretty intrigued.

I was surprised they are good taking unleaded but guessing engine is glorified lawn mower engine ?

Back