Ford dealership using Hastings oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Now this is awesome ^^^^^^.

Well done ArcticDriver.

Thanks Buddy
grin.gif

Call the dealership and ask what filters they use for diesels and it they say MC then ask them why your's was installed with a Hastings? Do you have records that the oil was changed? If so I would go back and complain for a new oil change. Sounds like you were lied to.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
Just traded my F150 for a used F250 6.2 gas from a Ford dealer. I traveled 14 hour (7 there and 7 back) to meet the sales manager (he traveled 4 hours to meet me and 4 hours back). He said they did an oil change when they got the truck. Add said it was up for 3 days but i never asked how long they had it. The truck has about 58k miles. The oil shouldn't have more than 700 miles on it yet its super black. Its about as dark as when i got 4k to 5k miles on my other vehicles. And to top it off, it has a Hastings oil filter. Why would a Ford dealership not use a Motorcraft filter?? Did they possibly lie about the oil change?? Or maybe the tech told the sales manager it was done but never actually changed the oil??

Any thoughts??

1. They lied about the oil change. Just another reflexive salesman lie. Confront them and they'll just lie again "I could have sworn they told me they changed it... must have gotten it confused with another... "

2. Nothing wrong with Hastings/Baldwin filters. The one person on this board who complains about them has failed to produce any photographic evidence of said "gap". The ones I've used, and cut, have no such problem. In fact, they've been very stout.

They lied to you. CAr dealers, especially the ones in the used car department lie about everything.

Once, I bought a super clean used Yukon from a Dodge dealer. The guy lied and lied and lied so bad that he ended up leaving because I figured out what he did and was coming to see him. I have no idea where he went because I looked for him for months.
Another time, my wife wanted a Saturn Vue or something. We were at the Saturn dealer. The guy said a few things that I knew were not right , but I was letting them slide. We went to his desk to begin the buying process when he logged onto his computer and a picture of an AMC Rebel Machine lifting the front wheels comes on as his home page. I said cool Rebel Machine. He said you know what that is? That one's mine. I took my wife's hand and said come on. Let's go. Can't listen to this any more.

Another time, when I bought my 09 Suburban, I picked from a bunch of lease returns at this dealer. I picked one truck and two days later, my salesman called me up flipping his lid because the dealership owner sold mine to someone else. The kid was new and actually seemed pretty honest. He was genuinely mad at them so he took me to another area and showed me a truck that had about 9 thousand miles on it. He went in, submitted the paperwork and gave me that one for the same cost as the other one with more mileage.
Next time I went back, I learned they fired him. I guess they had no room for someone who puts the customer first.

Anyway, used car guys will tell you they got an alignment, an oil change, a transmission service... Believe none of it.
Are you happy with the truck? Change the oil and be done with it. Drive seven hours for an oil change? I think not.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Do you have records that the oil was changed? If so I would go back and complain for a new oil change. Sounds like you were lied to.

The original post said he lives 7 hours away from the place he bought his vehicle.

I don’t know how much y’all know about how things work in dealerships so I’ll give you a little eye opener. This story actually happened. One shop had a mechanic that wasn’t doing his job. He’d caused trouble. Shoddy work. Irritated fellow employees.

They came in and fired him on the spot. Told him to come back after 5 to get his tools and such. The service writer went to get the parts he had for the car the fired mechanic was working on to give to another mechanic and guess what was found in the fired mechanics bay? New oil and air filters, new airbags, new brake pads, etc. The fired mechanic had not been doing the work he was supposed to do.

So, what’s my point? I’m not defending any dealerships shoddy work. I’m not defending their dishonesty. I just want to make us aware that we hold the proper person accountable. If the sales mgr was told the Oil was changed then “he” didn’t lie. Reminds me of this young Hardee’s cashier who went outside to smoke and cry. I asked her what was wrong. She said “I don’t mind getting cussed out if I give you back the wrong change but I can’t take it when I get cussed out because the sandwich wasn’t made right. Go back in the kitchen and cuss out the cook.”

That really helped me understand a lot.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
They lied to you. CAr dealers, especially the ones in the used car department lie about everything.

Once, I bought a super clean used Yukon from a Dodge dealer. The guy lied and lied and lied so bad that he ended up leaving because I figured out what he did and was coming to see him. I have no idea where he went because I looked for him for months.
Another time, my wife wanted a Saturn Vue or something. We were at the Saturn dealer. The guy said a few things that I knew were not right , but I was letting them slide. We went to his desk to begin the buying process when he logged onto his computer and a picture of an AMC Rebel Machine lifting the front wheels comes on as his home page. I said cool Rebel Machine. He said you know what that is? That one's mine. I took my wife's hand and said come on. Let's go. Can't listen to this any more.

Another time, when I bought my 09 Suburban, I picked from a bunch of lease returns at this dealer. I picked one truck and two days later, my salesman called me up flipping his lid because the dealership owner sold mine to someone else. The kid was new and actually seemed pretty honest. He was genuinely mad at them so he took me to another area and showed me a truck that had about 9 thousand miles on it. He went in, submitted the paperwork and gave me that one for the same cost as the other one with more mileage.
Next time I went back, I learned they fired him. I guess they had no room for someone who puts the customer first.

Anyway, used car guys will tell you they got an alignment, an oil change, a transmission service... Believe none of it.
Are you happy with the truck? Change the oil and be done with it. Drive seven hours for an oil change? I think not.

Sounds like one of my local Toyota dealers. Went in one time because they had a bunch of rental car lease returns being sold as "CPO". Drove two and in no way had any of them had the CPO inspection done. Dirty interiors, alignment problems and paint problems galore. When pointed out, the salesmen was just stammering saying they would fix anything "I" find. Left and called corporate Toyota customer service and just got the "Dealership is an Independent Franchise" corporate speak excuse.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Just start off new with your own oil change before winter.
Hastings and Baldwin are just okay filters. They are living off an old reputation. I've cut many and am not excited over them
and lately they stink and I won't use them- center tube gaps and distortions and many haven't upgraded to a silicone adbv yet.
Not as good as some Chinese filters on the market.

Can you please post evidence of this and photos? I’ve ran Hastings and Baldwin for many many years and have never had nor seen a single issue with them. If no evidence is posted then it’s just hearsay or opinion with no real facts to back it up. I would just like to see these issues in photos along with others.

(Nothing wrong with Hastings/Baldwin filters. The one person on this board who complains about them has failed to produce any photographic evidence of said "gap". The ones I've used, and cut, have no such problem. In fact, they've been very stout.)

I agree. Never seen any evidence of this claim. I agree they are great filters

Last edited:
I use Baldwin every chance I get. Hastings is second. Haven't had a filter related failure ever.
In fact, my family (brother and father) runs a small diesel generator repair business. I worked with them for 17 years. We only ever used Cat, Fleetguard and Baldwin filters. Been in business since 1980. Never an oil or filter related failure.
Funny. When I go to the store to buy oil for my Suburban or my wife's Sorento, they always try to sell me Fram or STP or whatever is on sale. I say no thank you. I already have filters. They sometimes ask what kind to which I reply, Baldwin. They usually look puzzled and say they never heard of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOval83
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Just start off new with your own oil change before winter.
Hastings and Baldwin are just okay filters. They are living off an old reputation. I've cut many and am not excited over them
and lately they stink and I won't use them- center tube gaps and distortions and many haven't upgraded to a silicone adbv yet.
Not as good as some Chinese filters on the market.

Can you please post evidence of this and photos? I’ve ran Hastings and Baldwin for many many years and have never had nor seen a single issue with them. If no evidence is posted then it’s just hearsay or opinion with no real facts to back it up. I would just like to see these issues in photos along with others.

Use the search function............. its all here. I have cut many apart used and unused plus when a company will not answer
your emails about issues- I no longer support them. I even have reviews on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back