Ford dealership using Hastings oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They lied. I just went through this with my Triumph and I was mad. They told me we service and clean all the bikes when we get them in. The oil was dark and I rode it for awhile and while checking it out seen a Triumph brand oil filter on it.
I am thinking why would they pay $15 for a Triumph filter instead of a $5 Fram.
Anyway I immediately changed it only 500 miles into owning it and it was jet black. Changed it a year ago. 1000 miles later and you can't even see it on the stick it's so clear.
Wish they would just be honest.
It's easy to change instead of me assuming and running dirty old oil. Unless the service guy is ripping them off.

hqdefault.jpg

Agree with your plan to change right away.

Car Dealers 101 class = sometimes we don't tell the truth.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
Not sure yet. The dealer is out of my way for any of my travles so free stuff still wouldnt help. Maybe a $50 rebate to cover the price of my oil change (Canadian prices) plus letting them know im dissatisfied. They know my wife and I are going to be getting a 2018 Ford Expedition to replace our Explorer and if they want a chance at our money again, theyll figure out a way to make it right.

You'd still want to do business with them after being dissatisfied with them? $50 is going to make you trust them again enough to buy a new vehicle from them? If I'm not satisfied I let them know and move on, my business is lost.........No telling what they'll do to retaliate if the tech who worked on your vehicle gets reamed, or if you PO a manager. I worked with a few not so nice individuals that gave customers who complained special treatment which wasn't so nice, right after they kissed their arse and shook their hand.

Maybe I judged too soon. Looks dark but could just be the type of oil??
F250 oil

M1 AFE 0W20from my wife's Explorer with about 270miles but 14:33 hours

Did I jump to conclusions?

I have one set of Dodge/Ford/GM dealers 3 hours away from me but they did not have the truck I was looking for. Plus, I don't know if I would trust buying any vheicle any of them have worked on, I've heard horror stories from all three from co-workers and friends.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Just curious, How many Ford dlrs are within a 7 hr drive?

That is not what I consider black from heavy use.

My Mystik oils are dark like the top right out of the bucket. Like a sweet mollasses ;-)

When you taste it does it have a slightly earthy and acidic tang sort of like biting into a late season red apple? Or is it more bitter with a little burn to the palate like last seasons apple cider vinegar?

Its always best to try this with a sample of fresh oil for a control...and a dry Saltine cracker in between the two samples goes without saying.

This whole thread bashes the dealer but the OP's oil is not anywhere near needing changing.

Classic thread of "OP is simply confused....or something".......

This oil doesn't need changing right away. Those recommending changing it out are doing a BITOG money flush.

Well...it's been a while since we had a "bash a dealer thread".

Last edited:
I always change the oil on a used vehicle because I have no idea what bulk swill, in what grade, they used in it. That way I know it's got the right stuff in it from day one. Even if your dealer had an MC filter on it, I would still change it.

Originally Posted By: CKN
This whole thread bashes the dealer but the OP's oil is not anywhere near needing changing.

This oil doesn't need changing right away. Those recommending changing it out are doing a BITOG money flush.

I will admit, I jumped the gun. I thought it was darker the first time I looked at it. I should have double checked or posted a picture first. Still throws me off the filter isn't a Motorcraft though.

Probably still will just change it to a full synthetic because winter is coming up here quick!

I don't generally buy used vehicle's any more, but when I did, I made it a practice to drop ALL the fluids and filter's asap.

Last edited:
CKN I have bought my last two cars from a used car dealership. The Ford Fusion 3.0 SEL was a very good car. My current Nissan Altima 3.5 was bought from that same used car dealership as well. These guys are very good to deal with. In fact I went to school with Joe V and he is a great guy. Their dealership has done quite well in a small town. In a small town if a place is crooked.... The business usually is toast in a year or two at best. These guys have been in business 10yrs plus. If and when I need another car I am going back to them.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I don't generally buy used vehicle's any more, but when I did, I made it a practice to drop ALL the fluids and filter's asap.

Originally Posted By: Randy_270
Originally Posted By: CKN

I will admit, I jumped the gun. I thought it was darker the first time I looked at it. I should have double checked or posted a picture first. Still throws me off the filter isn't a Motorcraft though.

Probably still will just change it to a full synthetic because winter is coming up here quick!

You get me respect for admitting your error! Enjoy the new to you vehicle!

Originally Posted By: bbhero
CKN I have bought my last two cars from a used car dealership. The Ford Fusion 3.0 SEL was a very good car. My current Nissan Altima 3.5 was bought from that same used car dealership as well. These guys are very good to deal with. In fact I went to school with Joe V and he is a great guy. Their dealership has done quite well in a small town. In a small town if a place is crooked.... The business usually is toast in a year or two at best. These guys have been in business 10yrs plus. If and when I need another car I am going back to them.

It's hard to find a used car dealership that is straight up. I would imagine if a "bad" used car got by them-they would make it good!

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I made it a practice to drop ALL the fluids and filter's asap.

I do that every time I bring a new to me car home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back