Fly or drive 2700 miles for company training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I have to say I'm surprised that so many people have no interest in seeing the country in which they live. Especially as in the case of the OP, you can do so driving a company car, and being paid while doing so. I've traveled this country extensively by ground and in the air. Flying is great for getting to your destination quickly, but you miss out on a lot at 35k feet.

I've driven across the country several times. Been to all 50 states, spending days, weeks, or even months in each one. Been whitewater kayaking, hiking, and skiing in dozens of states. Visited/camped in dozens of national parks.

That's how you see the country.

Looking at it all through a windshield while you grind out 700 miles a day (the OP's plan) isn't actually seeing the country.

It's just misery.

Fly.

Then go spend 8 days somewhere new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I have to say I'm surprised that so many people have no interest in seeing the country in which they live. Especially as in the case of the OP, you can do so driving a company car, and being paid while doing so. I've traveled this country extensively by ground and in the air. Flying is great for getting to your destination quickly, but you miss out on a lot at 35k feet.

I've driven across the country several times. Been to all 50 states, spending days, weeks, or even months in each one. Been whitewater kayaking, hiking, and skiing in dozens of states. Visited/camped in dozens of national parks.

That's how you see the country.

Looking at it all through a windshield while you grind out 700 miles a day (the OP's plan) isn't actually seeing the country.

It's just misery.

Fly.

Then go spend 8 days somewhere new.

That's great if you can spend X amount of time in locales around the country, and experience what life is like in different areas. I've done the same.

Not everyone has that opportunity.

Sometimes, the best people can do is to literally just see different parts of the country as they drive through...

Fly, drive, it really makes no difference to me. The OP can and will do as he wants.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I’d get paid for 12 days. 8 for travel and 4 for training.

All extra days would be my vacation time.

Then definitely *fly* and do the sightseeing for the 8 days!

Why can't I find a boss like yours????

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I have to go to Wisconsin later this year so I'll do that drive in October.

I still don't think its unreasonable to drive to California, 700 miles a day.
Go for it, make sure you drive through Oklahoma though.
crackmeup2.gif

There's only 2 things in Oklahoma. Wind generating mills and cemeteries. A lot of cemeteries. I guess people just go there to die?

Texas looks pretty close though
The drive through Oklahoma was so unbelievably boring that I took this picture in May.

That actually looks pretty good. I can see another car and a hill in the picture. Try Saskatchewan once. The only remarkable thing I noted about it was how totally unremarkable the landscape was.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I have to go to Wisconsin later this year so I'll do that drive in October.

I still don't think its unreasonable to drive to California, 700 miles a day.
Go for it, make sure you drive through Oklahoma though.
crackmeup2.gif

There's only 2 things in Oklahoma. Wind generating mills and cemeteries. A lot of cemeteries. I guess people just go there to die?

Texas looks pretty close though
The drive through Oklahoma was so unbelievably boring that I took this picture in May.

That actually looks pretty good. I can see another car and a hill in the picture. Try Saskatchewan once. The only remarkable thing I noted about it was how totally unremarkable the landscape was.

That's pretty exciting compared to West Texas.......

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
well, my answer would be neither. No way I would travel 2700 miles for "training". Not flying or driving.

If its not within a day's drive, I'm not going. I have it known I do not fly.

You are missing out on a lot of big money opportunities in your career then, I'm sorry but these days people don't whine about spending 10% of their career on business trip within 5 hour time zone difference.

I agree with your statement in a lot of cases, but not for all. In my case, it has worked out fine and has not costed me in terms of promotions nor affected my pay. Or I should say I am happy with my pay rate, work environment, and room for growth. I couldn't predict if I'd get a little more in pay for traveling, but doubt it. And I certainly don't whine about it. The whining are the people traveling and not wanting to. Thats not me cause I dont travel.

Being upfront prior to being hired with the hiring manager and the HR department is key. One has to make a choice, be away from family, or not. Basically work or family. I doubt you will retire where you are working, unless very close to retirement. Hopefully, you will retire with your family though, right? Family is constant, employers not always.

My son is 15, I have not missed one of his sports activities since age 4 (a lot, travel baseball 3 seasons a year, regular baseball, now HS baseball, basketball, soccer, all since age 5) or him growing up at all, due to travel for work. If he has a game at 4pm for HS, I'm leaving at 3 or 330 to get there. With that said, I have also worked until 3am at times to complete projects, and totally dedicated if I have nothing going on with my family. I have also gone back to work if needed after leaving to see a game.

What ever works best for each is the way to go. Don't be bullied into traveling if you don't want to. The only thing I have ever felt bad about is not supporting coworkers on one or two customer issues, where I am sure I could have been an asset if I went along, but thats about it. No regrets or whining here.

I drove from Norfolk. Va. to San Diego, Ca. for a class "C" school while on active duty in the Navy in 1983. 3 months later, drove back to Norfolk. Had a 1977 Ford Thunderbird back in those days (1983). Lots of fun! I would love to do it again.

You guys are right about my crazy idea to drive across the USA.

I'll fly to LA.

Maybe you could get creative, see if your boss will go for funding your drive across the US up to the same amount as flying would cost(2 travel days, and whatever airfare costs), and then you will pickup the rest of the cost and time using your vacation.
4 weeks total time would be ideal, but even 3 weeks would allow some time for getting off the interstate.
Are you interested in geography, geology, flora, fauna, culture, history? Then driving can be interesting even just by choosing your rest breaks at some local park or town, or just a 1/4 mile down some side road. The southwest has tons of interesting geology not hidden under vegetation.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

I agree with your statement in a lot of cases, but not for all. In my case, it has worked out fine and has not costed me in terms of promotions nor affected my pay. Or I should say I am happy with my pay rate, work environment, and room for growth. I couldn't predict if I'd get a little more in pay for traveling, but doubt it. And I certainly don't whine about it. The whining are the people traveling and not wanting to. Thats not me cause I dont travel.

Being upfront prior to being hired with the hiring manager and the HR department is key. One has to make a choice, be away from family, or not. Basically work or family. I doubt you will retire where you are working, unless very close to retirement. Hopefully, you will retire with your family though, right? Family is constant, employers not always.

My son is 15, I have not missed one of his sports activities since age 4 (a lot, travel baseball 3 seasons a year, regular baseball, now HS baseball, basketball, soccer, all since age 5) or him growing up at all, due to travel for work. If he has a game at 4pm for HS, I'm leaving at 3 or 330 to get there. With that said, I have also worked until 3am at times to complete projects, and totally dedicated if I have nothing going on with my family. I have also gone back to work if needed after leaving to see a game.

What ever works best for each is the way to go. Don't be bullied into traveling if you don't want to. The only thing I have ever felt bad about is not supporting coworkers on one or two customer issues, where I am sure I could have been an asset if I went along, but thats about it. No regrets or whining here.

That's great, I'm glad that works out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back