Fly or drive 2700 miles for company training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drive.

See America............. and Americans.

Ever wonder where the expression "Flyover Personalities" came from?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: troutfisher
I would drive,lots of different ways you could go,I did Virginia to Utah,definitely would do it again,not one issue the whole way, expect when I filled the truck with low octane gas in Colorado was like 85 rating or something,no power and engine was acting funny in the mountains

Then filled up with better gas in Utah and did 90mph,
the whole way in,80mph speed limit,but it's something you will never forget if you drive

Lower octane, loss of power is due to the altitude. Go run around a little at those altitudes and you'll understand why your truck was wheezy.
smile.gif

Unless your taking an extra week or two I would fly. If you can add a week of vacation then you could take your time and see some sights otherwise enjoy your time in Cali, there are plenty of great things to see there.

Fly. Also, pick the closest airport to your destination in LA. There are several airports there.

If you have time, rent a car and drive Highway 1. Then you have the best of both experiences.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Depends. If you don’t burn vacation time and the job is cool with taking 4-5 days, drive!

I'm on company time and driving my company vehicle.
No vacation time used.

Go for it, man.

The fact that you asked the question says you want to.

But what would the boss thing? That's 4-5 days of "work" you're missing out on.

I say fly.

I got stranded 2500 miles away from my family at home on 9/11. I wasn't able to get a rental car until the next day, Wednesday, around noon. That day I drove until the sun went down. Then I drove from sun up to sun down Thursday thru Sunday when I finally arrived home to my family around 3 PM.

Unless you have the time to stop leisurely at various places along the way, you’re not gonna see anything but the road in front of you and a lot of truck stops.

I hope I could do a similar trip in my lifetime while I’m still able but with a much longer time frame so I could spend a day or two here and there and appreciate it.

Fly.

If you like the car you’re in do it. If it was some [censored] company car I didn’t care about I’d fly. I was just in Washington state and I drove my sister car while I was there. I was so wishing I was in my own car because I love driving it.

If they are paying you, and it's their time...drive at least one way.

Our company would never be in for that.

No vacation time used.

What does the company think about your idea ?

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
No vacation time used.

What does the company think about your idea ?

I was thinking the same, I manage a team that travels all over and typically use an 8 hour drive one way as the rule deciding to drive or fly. A few years ago one of them proposed driving a similar distance, I immediately shot that down.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
If they pay you mileage, then drive. You'll come out on top.

I offered to drive from NC to California and they said "no way." Flights and a rental were much cheaper.

This is what I did when I had training in Baltimore. I'm so glad I drove, I hate flying.

If I were your boss, I'd say not just no, but [censored] no. You can fly from Miami to LA for $400 round trip with 1 week advanced purchase. For most trainings you don't need a car at all, just add $50-$100 for a shuttle on both ends.If you drive you'd spend $600 on gas, $1000 on wear and depreciation of the company vehicle, and 1 week of salary wasted while driving, plus an extra $1000 on hotels traveling back and forth. So if your cost to the the company is $2000/week you are looking at $4600 to drive vs $500 to fly. That's a no brainer. And that's not even including the liability risk if you have an accident on the way and the value of your labor, which should be a lot more than that $2000.

Last edited:
Why do I get the impression that a lot of posters here think this is a 4-5 day journey? One way, maybe. If this is the company car then he has to drive back. Plus overnight stops, food etc.

If you are up for it and the company will allow it then do it. Plan a different route coming back. No use seeing the same real estate both ways.

I still like the idea of flying and renting on the Calif side. You can pick ocean, desert or mountains. All are within a days drive.

I'd fly it.

I just drove through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico in May.

37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif
37.gif

Last year I drove to California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and the bottom of Nevada on a road trip. Was a fantastic and beautiful trip. I'd also like to do the NorthEast sometime too.

But central U.S.? Once again...
37.gif

I used to drive a race car rig all over the country. The FL-CA drive could not possibly be more boring.

However, given enough "goof off" time, one could stop at a large number of interesting locations "somewhat" along the way. Otherwise, if you don't have significant extra time, you are in for a trip full of "Cracker Barrels" "McDonalds" "CVS" and long, boring roads with poor scenery.

Stennis space center is worthy of a stop, it's right off I-10.
And, of course, New Orleans.
White Sands is intersting
I love the Arizona Canyons. Even just outside of Phoenix, to the NE, hiking in the Superstition mountains and canyons. (not a summertime activity)
Glamis Sand Dunes are rather interesting in the winter also. (If you like off road vehicles and dirt bikes)

Good luck

Cujet's observations are along the lines I was thinking.

1) I personally love the X country drive. I've done it several times along several axes.

2) 2,700 miles along his corridor would be boring as "anti-heaven". Side trips which would make it worthwhile would easily double that one way mileage and quadruple the time needed.

3) Part of any job training is the reality of applying it ASAP. Taking a 4 week holiday to drink tequila and eat poorly in the desert with a training session in L.A. plopped in the middle doesn't sound efficient. You'd make yourself seem disinterested. The teeny boppers would get the gold stars and you'd be assumed to have eaten mushrooms with mute Indians in abandoned gas stations.

4) Now if there was a series of customer stops you could make along the way......

Sounds like a fun opportunity... if the company approves.

4-5 paid days + expenses, at our company that'd easily add up to $6000 each way. No way they go for it, even if you did it on your own time with expenses ($2300). It'd be a flight and maybe a days more of time ($1700).

I'd totally do it if I got reimbursed mileage... because I'd come out making a profit and I like driving. I'd see a few interesting things on the way though otherwise it might not be all that fun. I'd have no hesitation to drive my Crown Vic that far and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back