Fly or drive 2700 miles for company training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Both. Florida has a lot of good rental car specials, especially one-ways when the summer season is getting on.

One-way car rental, one way plane ticket back. Best of both worlds.

I think you have the right idea, but I'd do it the other way around. The time pressure of getting to the work event on time might make the drive-to just a failed experiment with too little time to smell the roses along the way. It might be easier to schedule the work time for the return trip, where even though you are still expected back at work, you don't have a conference hard time to meet. What you really don't want to do is miss the conference start time, since it's the point of the whole exercise as far as the job goes.

Another option would be to pick an area near but not at home or the conference, fly there, drive for a few days properly exploring a smaller area, or do the same on the way back. Less stress as well (aside from having to deal with commercial airports).

Once a year I drive from CT to WV for a training class for work. 500 miles each way, takes about 8 hours. I drive my personal car and get reimbursed for mileage and make a profit. I drive non-stop, taking just one or two rest breaks along the way. No time for sight-seeing, just driving on long, boring highways. Although I very much enjoy driving through the mountains in Maryland, very scenic. Even though I don't really do any fun stuff, I enjoy the long drive, and I hate flying. But there's no way my company would allow me to drive if flying took days less and was cheaper. In my case, I waste a day traveling down there whether I drive or fly, so no real difference.

I still have to talk to my boss, nothing is final. Flying to CA and spending 2 weeks there sounds like a great idea. I’d take one week vacation after training is done.

Another employee also expressed interest in the training so maybe he’ll also attend but fly round trip.

My company would reimburse based on economy airfare, number of meals for days as if flying with meal price limit, and hotel of their choice which was MGM Grand when in Vegas. Mileage allowance not to exceed economy airfare. Allowance for parking for days of meetings as provided as hotel guest. So drive to meeting cost company similarly to flying. Was allowed to use vacation time and driver would pay for expenses exceeding flying. So no profit for driving but have freedom of choice.

I'd see if Amtrak was close enough to the source and destination. Cost is very high, and mentally you have to prepare for the possibility of an 8 hour delay, but at least I wouldn't have to do the driving.

I'd only get reimbursed GSA allowance, so out of pocket would be substantial.

Looks like the Sunset Limited runs from New Orleans to Los Angeles. 45 hours.

Drive, but keep your ambitions to “see America” in check. You won’t be able to apprehend much color or character on the type of trip you describe, but you will be astounded at what you can see along the state highways and even the major interstates. A trip of a week both ways can be very satisfying.

I’ve done something very similar and had the time of my life.

If this company is a public company, please tell us so that I can unload all the stock that I might be holding off. There is no company management which does cost benefit analysis would ever allow your fantasy.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If this company is a public company, please tell us so that I can unload all the stock that I might be holding off. There is no company management which does cost benefit analysis would ever allow your fantasy.

If the guy makes them money (aka lots of it) and keeps the customers happy (i thought they requested specifically for him at the last hurricane) and has been with the company for many years and he does not slacks on the job and etc etc.....

I think you would be SHOCKED at what goes on at the corporate level. Lavish parties, huge stipends for "business trips", on and on. I imagine its much worse than government. It irks me when I see my credit union sponsoring things like expensive firework shows at the local minor league baseball park. That's MY money they spending.

Its not like I'm renting a Gulfstream V private jet and drinking champagne at 50,000 feet.

I'm eating Chick Fil A and driving a Chevy Equinox on this trip...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Its not like I'm renting a Gulfstream V private jet and drinking champagne at 50,000 feet.

Fly. Chevy Equinox and fast food for 4 day straight....just no.

You would look pretty worn out and messed up after a 2700 miles road trip, and likely unable to perform well for your business function. If I were your boss I'd discourage that. Your mileage will likely be far more than the plane ticket costs + rental car expense. Plus the risk of potential breakdown and end up not getting there on time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Fly. Chevy Equinox and fast food for 4 day straight....just no.

Guys, something does not add-up...

OP/Mr. Nice,

when was the last time you took a vacation?

Mr. Nice should commandeer the corporate jet to fly out, and make sure he has the backup jet following.

Hopefully, you already sold it off since the stock price is down 21.47% over the last year.

If you add up the standard (GSA/Gov't) reimbursement rate of $0.56/mile, $50/day per diem, and hotels, and use the GSA limit of 400 miles/day, your 7 days each way make that Gulfstream look pretty cheap.

Your company would be better off buying you 1st class airfare each way.

It would be far cheaper than your $5,000 (round trip) drive.

And, for you, doing 400 miles/day leaves you an hour or two of stopping each day to see a couple of things.

Ridiculous cost for the company, with little sightseeing for you.

Were I your boss, I would have to say no, while stifling my real feelings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Hopefully, you already sold it off since the stock price is down 21.47% over the last year.

I bailed on GE a few years back, they were clearly in trouble then...

GE Healthcare

I've posted jobs for the past 5 years on BITOG and posted one today.

Luckily the Healthcare business will be spun off from the terrible mother ship .

The only gotcha is if something happens to your company car on the way. You then have to get a plane ticket or rental car and what if it is not fixed by the time you are returning back?

Eg you have an accident hitting a cow (been there done that in midwest driving to CO). Body work takes time and getting back to pick up is a hassle especially if in middle of nowhere.

As someone else mentioned, we can only get reimbursed for driving up to equivalent airfare and the rental car we'd rent on site.

I've done the STL to Boulder, CO with oilBabe for training. But her brother lives in KS, so we had a place to stop reasonably close to midway.

That trip was only about 850 miles give or take and I did the return drive in a day as oilBabe flew from DEN to DFW.

Unless you were taking someone with you, I'd just fly and then, as others have suggested, tack on some vacation time at the end. Maybe your employer would pick up the extra rental car costs if your airfare is cheaper with a Saturday stay or something of the sort.

This doesn't seem like a win-win solution. You are looking at 8 days of driving and will be dead tired after 12 hours/day of driving for 4 days there and 4 days back.

Maybe there is a win-win for you and your employer, but your proposal doesn't seem to be such a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back