Airline card credit card annual fees, wow $495?

Of note, currently the only profitable area of American Airlines is their credit card. AA is losing money on flying passengers/ cargo, etc. AA is not able to compete with DL or UA at this time.

Not so long ago GM and Ford also lost money manufacturing vehicles, but their finance arms were their strong profit centers.
I have seen this before also. I'm sure their debt load is crippling, $42B USD, IIRC.

Reactions: GON
I don't fly much but know that all airlines can have good days and bad days. One weather situation can paralyze half the country. The same flight one day terrible, the next week great. I book based on price. Many people hate on Spirit or Frontier, but the few times I've flown them, no issues. And why do people even eat at airports anyway? The prices are ridiculous. Nobody heaven forbid, can go 6 or 8 hours without stuffing something down their throat? I'd rather go hungry for little while then spend $10 for a burger.

I don't fly much but know that all airlines can have good days and bad days. One weather situation can paralyze half the country. The same flight one day terrible, the next week great. I book based on price. Many people hate on Spirit or Frontier, but the few times I've flown them, no issues. And why do people even eat at airports anyway? The prices are ridiculous. Nobody heaven forbid, can go 6 or 8 hours without stuffing something down their throat? I'd rather go hungry for little while then spend $10 for a burger.
A lot of people have more money than time: business travelers, people in layovers, people who couldn't get to the airport with the time they have to prepare ahead (get off work at 6 and a flight at 9 with only 1 hour to go from work to airport, and would rather pay a bit more for food than miss a flight). I think $10/burger isn't that bad, consider even McD can get expensive and a few bucks buys you a lot of convenience, if you don't have time (say you don't want to take time off from work).

There are places I've worked who pay for business class because they expect you to sleep on the plane and then get straight to work when you land, yes it is $3k more but the problem they send you to solve can cost more than $3k a day.

If I'm a student without a job I obviously would pack a PB&J and eat it at the airport instead, and may take flights with 2 layovers and sleep at the airport in between.

A $2 KitKat or Snickers will suffice.

At many or most airports you can pay for lounge access and it's often worth it. Free food and drink and comfortable seating.
The lounge won't have the crowds of a concourse and if close to your gate you can just wait there until boarding begins, never a fast process.
In the past year we spent around 100USD for lounge access at Punta Cana and Doha for the two of us since we had hours to wait and it was well worth it. There is typically a time limit on lounge occupancy but I saw no evidence of the lounge police at either airport. Qatar had a very nice breakfast in the lounge we were in in Doha.

At many or most airports you can pay for lounge access and it's often worth it. Free food and drink and comfortable seating.
The lounge won't have the crowds of a concourse and if close to your gate you can just wait there until boarding begins, never a fast process.
In the past year we spent around 100USD for lounge access at Punta Cana and Doha for the two of us since we had hours to wait and it was well worth it. There is typically a time limit on lounge occupancy but I saw no evidence of the lounge police at either airport. Qatar had a very nice breakfast in the lounge we were in in Doha.
if you fly a lot the lounge access is worth the money. some places you even get a separate entry from the rest of the passengers .

Agreed, if you fly enough lounge access alone would make a high tier (and fee) credit card worth it.

I've found a regular cashback card out earns a mileage card for a regular person. Airline cards only make sense for business accounts with significant utilization.

You can't balk at an annual fee until you look at the benefit value. I have a travel card (Venture X) with a $395 annual fee, I fly only about 2x per year, and it more than pays for itself.

Last edited:
Higher tier credit cards were always expensive. But, they are created for people who rack up a lot of miles. Unless you are in an airplane every week, I am not sure it makes sense.
Exactly! These cards are for a specific purpose. I've not reviewed the latest offerings, but in the past, the travel benefits were, for me a weekly traveler, worth it for the occasional free flights and bag charges.

Back