Florida sales tax on Auto for out of state buyers

You typically pay tax in the state your register it in.

Reactions: GON
Unfortunately in NJ that is not the case..Honda dealer 699, toyota dealer 799. I couldnt even tell you what I paid on my Porsches probably in that neighborhood. So a 995 doc fee wouldnt faze me if the car was 5k less.

You typically pay tax in the state your register it in.
If you buy a car in California you pay California Sales tax if the wheels touch the pavement. Whether you live there or not. Car shipper with a certified Bill of Lading avoids sales tax. You need major savings on a vehicle to deal with buying a vehicle there.

I live in Virginia and bought a Sequoia from Daytona Toyota in January 2019. Agreed to the price over the phone and flew down and drove it home. The dealership conducted the transaction just as if we were in Virginia...charged me Virginia sales tax, gave me a Virginia temp tag, applied for my permanent Virginia registration, and sent me on my way. The Virginia DMV sent them the permanent plates and the dealer FedEx'd them to me. It was the exact experience as if I were at the local Toyota dealer. Great experience, honestly.

In October 2017, I purchased a 4Runner at a dealer in Maryland. Same exact experience. Purchase conducted out of state, but all the paperwork and taxes was for Virginia.

Last car we bought, we bought in Huntington West Virginia.
Paid no WV tax, and they issued me a 60 day WVA temp tag.
They took the tax for our jurisdiction, and prepared the paperwork for titling.
They Fed-Ex'd it to me, and I walked it through a title bureau in Ohio.
They had the tax check and everything prepared, ready to go.
The dealership was $0.28 short on the tax estimate.
Only snafu in the entire process.
florida has an agreement to collect many states sales tax, ny is one

Just bought a truck in NY last April, I'm in NJ. $350 doc fee, NY temp tag and they processed NJ paperwork. Got my NJ tags and title in the mail.

Back