Florida sales tax on Auto for out of state buyers

Last vehicle I bought was in Green Bay Wisconsin.
Shipped it tax free and I just payed tax in my home state when I titled it... Same in neighboring states for decades.
They supplied the temp tag only.

Reactions: JTK
If they were 4-5K cheaper, dealers in Florida would be shipping them north to sell. No major price difference at the auctions that I see for Premiums at least.

View attachment 174108
thanks for the info! but these are wholesale prices correct? I just pulled up five premium pluses for 41k upnorth not much more than wholesale you sent me , cheapest in NJ 46k more and less of a selection this Dealer has five. And curious what would the incentive of one Audi franchisee shipping the car up north to another franchisee, wholesale prices are the same it’s the retail that’s different in NJ prices really haven’t come down and they still asking ADM on many up here. The only way that would work I would think is if one owner owns a dealer down south and north. If it’s a bad deal I can walk. I really don’t need a car quite honestly. Maybe the Florida economy not doing so well. On Cargurus it shows price drops and many have 5-7 k price drops in Florida not so up here. Could be up north people arent so price sensitive

Attachments

• CFD5D100-1186-4F6D-81BA-86B36010FEA3.jpeg
    CFD5D100-1186-4F6D-81BA-86B36010FEA3.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I dunno if this is still a "thing," but when I bought my Porsche, I was trying to never title it, i.e. it could be resold as saying it has its MSO.

But of course that's fishy, however, not as fishy imho as all those supercars being registered in Montana.

I just think that in this day and age, there is much more awareness on tax evasion and insurance fraud.

I dunno if this is still a "thing," but when I bought my Porsche, I was trying to never title it, i.e. it could be resold as saying it has its MSO.

But of course that's fishy, however, not as fishy imho as all those supercars being registered in Montana.

I just think that in this day and age, there is much more awareness on tax evasion and insurance fraud.
I am not trying to evade taxes, I just dont want to pay Florida tax AND NJ tax.

I ran into FL. dealer fraud concerning CarGurus..
I called and wanted the car and they added $5k to it and said they do this to compete with others
on CarGurus. That really happened at several places. He actually told me they target the "wheeler dealer" customers.
Florida is known for this- do your homework first.

I ran into FL. dealer fraud concerning CarGurus..
I called and wanted the car and they added $5k to it and said they do this to compete with others
on CarGurus. That really happened at several places. He actually told me they target the "wheeler dealer" customers.
Florida is known for this- do your homework first.
My buddy who has lived there since the 90's said never buy a used car from the Miami area. Maybe that's a broad stereotype, but my wife's cousin got a sweet 535i wagon with all kinds of crazy options, had it delivered to NJ, and let the repairs begin....he said never again. Even accident damage when Carfax clean.

p.s. my 2006 LS430 is from Naples, came up to the northeast in 2014. It will be curious to see if being a FLA car will add longevity to its body. In 2016 the Japanese indie said the undercarriage is not typical of a 2006 in NJ.

Ask the Florida dealers for the bottom line and have them email it to you in writing.
I had this happen on a new Mitsu and a Corvette...
My buddy who has lived there since the 90's said never buy a used car from the Miami area. Maybe that's a broad stereotype, but my wife's cousin got a sweet 535i wagon with all kinds of crazy options, had it delivered to NJ, and let the repairs begin....he said never again. Even accident damage when Carfax clean.

p.s. my 2006 LS430 is from Naples, came up to the northeast in 2014. It will be curious to see if being a FLA car will add longevity to its body. In 2016 the Japanese indie said the undercarriage is not typical of a 2006 in NJ.
Thanks ! I have been around the block a few times. If the deal is bad I can walk. Car is CPO so has 3 year factory warranty then CPO warranty. I would be more concerned with cosmetics.

Ask the Florida dealers for the bottom line and have them email it to you in writing.
I had this happen on a new Mitsu and a Corvette...
My dad was always about out the door pricing (this is needed with all the gaming). Full disclosure it was a Buick Envision, it didn't work on a Honda Civic.

He had the dealer remove all the pre-printed costs on the bill of sale, all the stuff on the window sticker for dealer add ons, said he would get the tags himself so they said no we'll do it no charge, and then he even said he'd pick up the car in a week. My experience is they want you to leave with it. The list was $41k at the time, and he got it for $32k. 2018 though. Obviously they really wanted to move that Buick.

Honda, on the other hand, crossed out his Edmunds price printed from the web, showed him the asterisk that said they didn't have to honor it--that was pretty lame.

When I was in grad school I presented a case Barringer v. Griffies where VT tried to charge a use tax on all cars moving in. It was eventually shot down.

I was told historically that “equal protections “ were used to overturn a variety of vehicle fees based on feigned differences.

Over the decades things such as color, transmission type, gas tank size, # of seats, # of cylinders etc got overturned as the basis for taxation.

I could not find the individual cases that addressed these and could not find if displacement was also considered feigned.

Do you know if there are any famous cases on this?

A former retired state legislator/judge was looking to overturn some recent registration legislation locally but seemingly dropped off the face of the earth after placing freedom of information act requests.

Our state is using a private company IHS Markit to administer registration taxes to shield the state from needing to address FOIA requests and thus liability/responsibility for bad law that violates equal protections.

thanks for the info! but these are wholesale prices correct? I just pulled up five premium pluses for 41k upnorth not much more than wholesale you sent me , cheapest in NJ 46k more and less of a selection this Dealer has five. And curious what would the incentive of one Audi franchisee shipping the car up north to another franchisee, wholesale prices are the same it’s the retail that’s different in NJ prices really haven’t come down and they still asking ADM on many up here. The only way that would work I would think is if one owner owns a dealer down south and north. If it’s a bad deal I can walk. I really don’t need a car quite honestly. Maybe the Florida economy not doing so well. On Cargurus it shows price drops and many have 5-7 k price drops in Florida not so up here. Could be up north people arent so price sensitive
Yes wholesale. Are all the 23's hybrids? That's what I saw. Not sure why they would be that much cheaper then unless they can't sell them.

No you don't have to pay FL tax. I've bought a few 6 figure motorhomes in FL and took them to another state to register and pay that state tax, not FL.
Iirc this is what we did for our van when we got it from Florida in 2020.

Supplemental to the OP's question (but not directly related).

If a out of state retail buyer purchases a car at a California dealer, one must have the car transporter by a official party out of the state of California to avoid paying California sales tax. One can't drive a car they purchased in California from the dealer unless they pay California sales tax.

When I purchased a car in California, I had to pay a courier and a chase vehicle to drive the car to the Nevada border, where I was handed the keys. The courier then hoped in the chase vehicle and went back 125 miles to the car dealership I purchased the vehicle from.

You need a certified Bill of Lading on a car hauler not to pay sales tax on a vehicle in California when you are an out-of-state buyer.

quote-

Tax-Exempt Sales

Sales to Out-of-State Purchasers are generally exempt from DMV fees and Sales Tax provided there is proof the delivery did occur outside of California. You must arrange the transportation and keep documentation (a shipping invoice, tow bill, bill of lading, etc.) to prove the vehicle left California.

Back