First oil change. Interesting findings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the first oil change on my 2016 Lexus IS 300. Car has 4K miles on it. Having an almost 7 quart sump, I debated on whether or not it was really necessary. Being a compulsive BITOG member I did it anyway. Fresh TGMO 0W-20 and a new Toyota filter. I feel better getting the factory fill out.

What was interesting, and not in a good way, was how loose the drain pan bolt and oil filter housing was! The drain pan bolt pretty much loosened with little more than the weight of the ratchet handle. Of course the washer was welded on to the pan. I tried to remove the drain plug at the base of the filter housing and the whole housing came out instead with very little effort.
Despite this, no leaks were present.

Replaced the pan bolt and washer as well as the filter housing to their proper torque values. Really odd, but all is well.

Smart move, and good thing you replaced the bolt and washer, and tightened the filter housing to spec.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Hi Lexus does not include maintenance for a couple years like Toyota does?

They probably do, but the first oil change is probably scheduled at 10,000 miles, and they typically do not deviate from the book as far as performing the free maintenance.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
take it to jiffy lube. theyll use a 3/4" impact to put those on nice and tight for you.

They let the crew have power tools?

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Hi Lexus does not include maintenance for a couple years like Toyota does?

Yes they do. But only the first oil change and only at 10K miles. Checked with the dealer. They use Mobil1 not TGMO although they stock the TGMO in qt bottles.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: E150GT
take it to jiffy lube. theyll use a 3/4" impact to put those on nice and tight for you.

They let the crew have power tools?

Yeah, and they'll cross-thread it too to be sure it doesn't come loose.

smile.gif

Ed

TGMO is manufactured by Mobil here in the U.S. They use the same shape bottles as a tell tale sign. Trans fluid is made by Mobil as well and branded as Toyota Genuine. Mobil 1 is just as good. Take it in for the 10k change and verify the torque values if you can when you get home. Can't beat free oil!

Originally Posted By: THafeez
TGMO is manufactured by Mobil here in the U.S. They use the same shape bottles as a tell tale sign. Trans fluid is made by Mobil as well and branded as Toyota Genuine. Mobil 1 is just as good. Take it in for the 10k change and verify the torque values if you can when you get home. Can't beat free oil!

I realize Mobil makes the TGMO oil, but many threads have shown them to be significantly different. I was really hoping to use strictly TGMO. Perhaps I can just pay the difference.

does the free oil change also not have a time based component?
I would think lexus toyota would say like 10k/1year so even if you dont hit 10k they woulf want to see you based on time.

Good thing you checked it and changed early. I'm not confident that sump plug would have stayed put another 6k miles.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
does the free oil change also not have a time based component?
I would think lexus toyota would say like 10k/1year so even if you dont hit 10k they woulf want to see you based on time.

This is true. Car is three months with 4K.

How many months allowance, before the dealer changes your oil for free? Hopefully it's one year, so that you can take advantage of your recent oil change.

Last edited:
Either M1 0W-20 is a superior oil to TGMO, so the dealer is really doing their customers a favor in using it.
Take a look at what you rightly refer to as many threads and you'll see this.
TGMO is strictly Grp III while both M1 AFE and M1 EP have significant PAO content.
This is evident in the relative cold performance as measured for these three oils, as well as in SDS sheets for the three.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Either M1 0W-20 is a superior oil to TGMO, so the dealer is really doing their customers a favor in using it.
Take a look at what you rightly refer to as many threads and you'll see this.
TGMO is strictly Grp III while both M1 AFE and M1 EP have significant PAO content.
This is evident in the relative cold performance as measured for these three oils, as well as in SDS sheets for the three.

All M1 oils contain esters as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back