Firestone observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Firestone Transforce dry rotted out within 3 years. 10,000 miles on tires.
Firestone would do NOTHING to replace, discount, prorate, anything. They were very quick to say they weren't safe to drive on though.
Never again. I vote with my wallet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I put Firestone Affinity tires on my wifes Santa Fe. After about 20K, they have a vibration. Rotated them, re-balanced them and it was better, but still there. I would not buy again. They were fairly inexpensive so I guess you get what you pay for.

I had a 1999 Accord that I put those tires on. They rode way too soft, felt like it was on marshmallows. At about 20k started having issues and one tire was replaced under warranty for $92 installed and out the door. They were rated for 60k miles. By 30k the other tires were bad and didn't want to spend close to $300 for three tires that I wasn't happy with. So I threw in the towel on those and started fresh with another tire store chain.

Went with some cheapo Kelly tires that wore well. A little loud but I knew that going in since the tire guy told me that since he had them on his car. The tire place forget to quote installation so was able to get them installed for $250.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
After the Firestone 500 debacle thirty some years ago, I never considered purchasing that brand again. And I wouldn't let Firestone work on my wheelbarrow.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Let me know what vehicles you drive-I'm sure I can find some skeletons in the closet there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I put Firestone Affinity tires on my wifes Santa Fe. After about 20K, they have a vibration. Rotated them, re-balanced them and it was better, but still there. I would not buy again. They were fairly inexpensive so I guess you get what you pay for.

I had a 1999 Accord that I put those tires on. They rode way too soft, felt like it was on marshmallows. At about 20k started having issues and one tire was replaced under warranty for $92 installed and out the door. They were rated for 60k miles. By 30k the other tires were bad and didn't want to spend close to $300 for three tires that I wasn't happy with. So I threw in the towel on those and started fresh with another tire store chain.

Went with some cheapo Kelly tires that wore well. A little loud but I knew that going in since the tire guy told me that since he had them on his car. The tire place forget to quote installation so was able to get them installed for $250.

This sounds like the perfect tire for ram_man!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

CKN would probably like them a lot as well.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

CKN would probably like them a lot as well.
laugh.gif

I don't have an issue with "cheap" tires. MileStar, Kelly Springfield, etc., all low end fairly decent tires.

I just love the comments about "staying away from Chinese tires" for my families safety. If that's the case-stay off the Interstates-almost every big rig out there has Double Coin or Linglong tires on them. Both Chinese of course.

Last edited:
My last 3 trucks have come with crummy Goodyear Wranglers, I replace them as soon as they wear out with Bridgestone, and sometimes replace the Bridgestone with Firestone.

I became a Bridgestone fan in the 80's when I put a set of Desert Dueler factory seconds on the 80 GMC truck I inherited when my father passed away, while working my way through school. I drove 500+ miles a week back then.

Firestone will price match competitors; my current set of Bridgestone AT2 Revo tires were price matched by Firestone to a Costco special on the same tires, free road hazard and all - and I've never had a Costco membership.

Last edited:
I used to run Firestone tires up through the Explorer era. I ran them on my wife’s 2002 KIA Rio and my 1991 Ford Ranger. That all ended when I mounted a set of Wilderness HT tires on my Ranger. It took 12 tires to get 4 that were somewhat round and would balance.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Almost every big rig ~ what is source of this data?

Enough of them that you need to stay off the freeways if your afraid of Chinese tires blowing up...

Personally observation-that's all-in a million miles of driving.

The only time your going to find a Firestone, Goodyear, or Michelin tire on a big rig is one that's owner operator- or has been "recapped". The rests are big fleets-and those things get Chinese tires.

Make your own observations-if you get out enough and report back.

Last edited:
Most firestones are average tires.

Destination MT is a well liked Mud tire.
Destination LE2 is an above average tire when new(half depth siping performance falls off)

The destination AT is above average for a mild AT tire.

The Fr710 is an average tire and slightly below average in the winter.

Its not about the manufacturer..
its about the model.. all brands have some good and some bad.

Haven’t been impressed in my two experiences with Firestone. Most recently on factory OE tires on the 2015 Jeep Cherokee, replaced at 39k miles as they were down to the wear bar. Rotated every 5k-6k and pressures checked every 3-4 weeks, wore evenly but just not as long as the 60k rating they claim.

Years ago I did have the all terrain Firestone Radial ATX, steel belt let go and bubble came up on the tread while on the highway. Limped it home, tire place I bought it at made it right and replaced it. Just haven’t been impressed by the initial quality.

Last edited:
I’m on my second set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tires on my Tahoe. They have an 80,000 mile warranty. The first set lasted 60,000 so the second set got a prorated discount. They ride good and do well in all weather conditions. I just had it in for FREE rotation, balance and alignment (after purchase of lifetime alignment). Love getting that work done free.

We have Firestone Affinitys on the Sienna and they work fine. It came with 721s.

Last edited:
The Destination line of tires seem to have a reasonably good following from what I've read online. I feel that Firestone as a mid range tire brand doesn't quite compare to other mid range brands like General and Kumho.

Although, I would guess that 95% of the general public isn't spending that much time researching the best tire for their vehicle and location in their price range. They go to the local tire store and buy what's available in their price range that the salesperson says is good.

I have Winterforces for the Element, fully knowing they're not the best snow tire, but that they're better than an all season in the winter. However, in a previous car, we had the Affinity Touring (same as Precision Touring, not to be confused with the run of the mill Affinity) that was surprisingly great, quiet and smooth. The winter traction was fantastic too, possibly better than my 2-3 year old Winterforces on the Element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back