A PSA About those tire TINS and date codes: Installers, It's Dates Out, for ALL tires.

I haven’t read through all the bickering here, but I get the gist of it.

Back in the 2000s when I was at a dealership, I did a lot of tires as I was one of the youngest and most fit, and capable of leaning the new road force technology, capable of doing low profiles, etc.

I always mounted the full DOT with date out, and if they were not marked for match mounting, I aligned the date with the valve stem. We did this mainly due to the idiot parts guys issuing tires without recording the DOT for the invoicing, then they’d be asking our help to get the DOT later in the day if we didn’t put the date in an obvious place for them to find when the car was back out and on the lot parked.

This isn’t possible with some asymmetrical, directional, white wall, etc tires. I can’t recall ever seeing a tire with the full DOT on both sidewalls, although maybe some do this now.

Like I said, this all dates back to the early 2000s and we did it for our parts guys sake, but it kind of serves the same purpose of making the full DOT visible for anyone who may need it down the road.

Yes, yes! I've been watching. I didn't feel the need to comment until now.

Your input is always appreicated.

With regard to tire identification, has there been serious consideration to expanding and standardizing RFID, already used for internal management/tracking, and in racing, into something with a consumer-facing element?

Instead of getting dirty, and on hands and knees to read the TIN, if it's even properly facing outward, having that info conveyed through the TPMS receiver, and having it read out on the dash, or a handheld scanner?

Something like a basic version of the Pirelli Cyber Tire.

Your input is always appreicated.

With regard to tire identification, has there been serious consideration to expanding and standardizing RFID, already used for internal management/tracking, and in racing, into something with a consumer-facing element?

Instead of getting dirty, and on hands and knees to read the TIN, if it's even properly facing outward, having that info conveyed through the TPMS receiver, and having it read out on the dash, or a handheld scanner?

Something like a basic version of the Pirelli Cyber Tire.

There has been work on both bar codes and RFID chips. In both cases, the problem seemed to be getting those to survive the curing process.

The bar codes are reasonably reliable within the manufacturing process, but the best spot is above the bead heel, but that of course gets covered up in service.

The RFID chips have been a bigger hurdle. I don't know where they are in the process, but I haven't seen any news that anyone is close so solving the issues.

Heck, I don't think they've even agreed on coding protocols. I'm looking to get an indication they are close when there are advertisements in the trade magazines of folks selling code readers.

What about directional tires? You would need to run 2 of them backwards to have the date code outside. I've been a tire installer for 22 years and both sides should be labeled if it was required to be visible. Most people don't have a clue on how to check it anyway.
Date code probably on both sides so it's moot. I suppose that's the real question. How many tire manufactures place the date code on both sides? My guess is most if not all.

Date code probably on both sides so it's moot. I suppose that's the real question. How many tire manufactures place the date code on both sides? My guess is most if not all.
I find on my directional snow tires they don't put the date code on both sides, and I don't seeing it on both sides my other tires either?
It seems every time I go to look for the date code I always find the blank side first! Its like buttered toast falling on the floor....

Back