Finally getting 21st century internet. Have q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
alarmguy
Paying an additional $10 for 4m more is not the best value.
Paying $10 more for another 8m (12 vs 20) is the best value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
alarmguy
Paying an additional $10 for 4m more is not the best value.
Paying $10 more for another 8m (12 vs 20) is the best value.

Your right, maybe I should have explained better. Paying $75 a month for Internet, to me is insane, more so at these speeds. I suggested $65 @ 12 because I think he will be more then happy while saving $120 a year for something he may not see a difference with at 20 and at both price points the upload speed is the same and 4 times faster if he uploads photos or installs security cameras.. etc.over the cheapest plan.
As I said, he can always upgrade later if need be, takes nothing more then a phone call, at the same time speeds might go up and prices down over time.

Last edited:
I really appreciate you guys taking the time to chime in.

I may well end up replacing the router because as I was looking up the specs, I saw that it was dual band @ 2.4 and 5 ghtz. I wanted to make sure that it was set up so that I was on the 5ghtz channel, but can't find any of my old notes on how to log into the router and make sure everything is right.

So... I guess that brings us back to any recommendations on a good "bang for the buck" router?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I wanted to make sure that it was set up so that I was on the 5ghtz channel, but can't find any of my old notes on how to log into the router and make sure everything is right.

Look in the owner's manual. There should be a way to reset it to factory settings, at which point you'll be able to use the default login credentials to access and configure it.

But if you really just have an itch to buy a new router: http://a.co/hDwUAlD

I agree with Pete, you should be able to default your router.

Personally I would choose this router TP Link AC 1750 since I know it so well and it has been rock solid.
TP Link Click here

Im also a fan of Netgear Products, so cant disagree with choosing that one either.

You state you are in a rural area, so you wont have interference from other routers, yes, possible you could also have home interference.
I would use the 5ghz band for devices near the router only.
But if range is a concern, hands down choose the 2.5 ghz, 2.5 penetrates walls much better giving better signal.

Last edited:
I don't understand the entire concept of replacing a perfectly good router because you can't log into it. There are ways around this.

The E2500 is a good piece of equipment despite its age. I own one. It handles my 50MB internet perfectly.

Only because I didn't realize you could baseline it. Since Quattro Pete and alarmguy stated that you could- and that the 2.4Ghtz was preferable for barriers, I'll see if I can get it sorted out.

I'm not afraid to spend on a piece that I know will stand the test of time and remain viable in the future. I did the same with this router, but since I thought I couldn't ensure that it was set right, I would have spent again to make sure and get one that would meet our needs. Thanks to helpful members, I most likely won't have to.

I ran netflix on a 2 meg line. They say you need 800kbps. Everything above that is gravy. I watched my router data passthrough and Netflix will use "half" the bandwidth, queueing for 30 seconds then releasing for 30 seconds. The video output is seamless.

The ISPs threaten that you need way more so they can sell more. Start low and work your way up.

Also if you start off cheap they'll give you promotional offers for the next tier higher, locked in for a year. You can't get that if you start off high.

Although I'm hardly an expert on networking I would say if your streaming HD videos at 1080p concurrently then the 12 Mbps service would be your best bet to start off with. The 20 Mbps is a psychological pricing point strategy marketers use to steer you to the best value whether you need it or not. Maybe you will with higher subscriber usage demand during peak hours but there's no point in paying for extra bandwidth until you know for sure.

As far as routers I would go with a dual band AC standard that has a QOS feature to prioritize bandwidth. In other words if your streaming GOT on the big screen TV and little Johnny in the bedroom decides he wants to play WOW through his steambox, your bandwidth won't be throttled back if there isn't enough available. Only his would.

I have the Netgear R6400 which I bought for about $140.00 at Bestbuy. There may be better or cheaper options but I'm happy with it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I ran netflix on a 2 meg line. They say you need 800kbps.

For HD?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

When we watch HD (1080) movies from Netflix, my router shows the Roku player pulls about 5500 kbps. When streaming from Amazon, bandwith usage is even higher. But I'm sure the service will adapt to lower bandwidth and you may barely notice any degradation in video quality, depending on how far from the TV you sit.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I ran netflix on a 2 meg line. They say you need 800kbps.

For HD?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

When we watch HD (1080) movies from Netflix, my router shows the Roku player pulls about 5500 kbps. When streaming from Amazon, bandwith usage is even higher. But I'm sure the service will adapt to lower bandwidth and you may barely notice any degradation in video quality, depending on how far from the TV you sit.

I'm sure it was "standard def" but it's still better than analog over-the-air NTSC televison or VHS tapes. Anything DVD/ S-video quality or better, where the chroma isn't given a horrible tacked-on part of the deal, is satisfactory to this geezer.

And I'd like to fight the ideas that cable & internet companies plant in peoples' heads about the dire consequences of choosing cheap.

Netflix will expand to fit the pipeline you give it, unless you do advanced configurations. I feel kinda guilty falling asleep to the tube with it guzzling bandwidth like that.

I have an EA2700, with gigabit hardwire ports, and both 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless.
I consider this to be the minimum level of equipment.

Amazon has refurbished Linksys routers for cheap.
The EA6400 has a USB 3 port for shared storage, and is $30...
Linksys Smart Wi-Fi AC1600 Router (EA6400)- Certified Refurbished https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LV84SQM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_L8SFzb5GVD523

Save the $120 a year, get 8/1, I have 4/1 and am happy.

Hint - turn off WMM on the Linksys router, and update the firmware...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back