Anyone try to replace their home internet broadband with a 5G router from AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon?

I've had Verizon 5G Home Internet for about 5 months now, it works great, I only have to reboot the gateway every several weeks to a month, T-mobile on the other hand is pure garbage, their equipment pretty much has to be rebooted daily, and you'll get random brown outs a few hours with no real explanation even if your signals were perfect before and your equipment is in an optimal place, they should have the technical superiority from all the spectrum they bought, but spectrum doesn't matter when your deployment is very poorly managed.

We've had the T-Mobile Home Internet for seven months now, so far I've restarted it twice, once for no connection and the other time was because we had wireless Internet but no wired connection for some reason. Other than that the speeds have been anywhere between 600 and 728 Mbps per my log.

We do live in a semi-rural suburb of Milwaukee where congestion does not seem to be an issue. $30 a month less than Spectrum for 200 Mbps, so far I am very happy with the product.

Even living on the edge of a small town - a 2nd company is drilling in fiber right now - so hope they will compete - once on that - hard to change …

Also depending on your income situation among other things don't forget most internet providers are enrolled in the affordable connectivity program and if you meet any of the requirements they knock $30 off your bill.

And most internet providers will discount especially if you tell them you will switch elsewhere, just don't let them fool you into a bundle unless it is obviously a bundle you would use, maybe let Danny help you as he mentioned above.

We had a Verizon jet pack and it was unreliable. The speed was only acceptable but I wouldn’t say “good”. Upgraded to Starlink and never looked back. This is by far the best internet we’ve ever had. I’ll be putting it in my shop at the other end of the farm too.
Perhaps you're way ahead of this, and if so, I apologize for butting in. I am not sure if you're considering paying for a 2nd service, but I just wanted to mention, if you have relatively decent line of sight between your home and shop, consider a pair of Ubiquiti (or any other make) wireless point-to-point bridges (https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-and-ltu/products/powerbeam-5ac-gen2). You could effectively "beam" your network connection to your shop, then run a wire in, mount one WiFi access point inside and have the same internet connection over there.

Additionally, you can run single mode fiber between buildings. Alas, trenching can be a pain. But single mode fiber can do hundreds of miles (actually way more but you get the idea) with no signal loss whatsoever.

Just wanted to mention these thoughts as to me paying for one ISP, and Starlink not being the cheapest, is enough already. And for what might cost a couple months of service for a 2nd location can pay for itself ONE time for equipment.

Also depending on your income situation among other things don't forget most internet providers are enrolled in the affordable connectivity program and if you meet any of the requirements they knock $30 off your bill.

And most internet providers will discount especially if you tell them you will switch elsewhere, just don't let them fool you into a bundle unless it is obviously a bundle you would use, maybe let Danny help you as he mentioned above.
If you're on SSI, or a family member is, the Affordable Connectivity Act will sometimes enable you to get broadband for free-Verizon 5G home would accept the gov't $30 as payment in full for 2 years.

I had T-Mobile 5G through a home gateway for 2 months-it worked reasonably well, speeds generally 15-30 down. Then it blew up & they couldn't figure it out... Back with Spectrum now...

I have Verizon, the best thing I can say about it is that its cheap. It has been problematic for the 5 months we have had it. The first Gateway went bad at the 2 month mark and getting Verizon to troubleshoot it and get a replacement was a huge task that required at least 1 1/2 hrs of my time. After that they didnt send the return paperwork for the defective one and double billed me. Another 1 1/2 hrs of my life down the drain. I just now got the bill squared away almost 3 months later. Verizons website and customer service is a literal outhouse fire inside a dumpster, next to a large wooden structure.

We have looked into the wifi bridge but the shop location will be roughly 3/4 mile from the current system. I have a Ubiquiti bridge setup that I bought used from a family member for $60 and plan to give it a shot but reliability is my biggest concern. The fiber option is out because I have to cross a state highway. I would love to have fiber though.

I applied for the affordable connectivity program and was rejected. The income ceiling for a single person household was around $2400 a month before deductions for Medicare. Which is pretty much at the poverty level in a place like California.

This service is known as Fixed Wireless, and is much different than the older hotspot devices. I tested out a T-mobile fixed wireless system a couple of months ago with hopes of moving all my service over from Verizon and an AT&T fiber feed, and had good results with steady speeds that were certainly adequate. The only problem was that I needed to locate the fixed wireless device near a window to get adequate signal, and one of my expensive mobile devices did not have the proper radios for the T Mobile 5G network, so I declined to switch for now, but probably will at some point.

Tried Verizon 5G. Had lots of issues with terrible speeds (10-50 range often) and dropped connection. Don't think their tower near me could handle the traffic.

This service is known as Fixed Wireless, and is much different than the older hotspot devices. I tested out a T-mobile fixed wireless system a couple of months ago with hopes of moving all my service over from Verizon and an AT&T fiber feed, and had good results with steady speeds that were certainly adequate. The only problem was that I needed to locate the fixed wireless device near a window to get adequate signal, and one of my expensive mobile devices did not have the proper radios for the T Mobile 5G network, so I declined to switch for now, but probably will at some point.
I don't understand, wouldn't your mobile device connect via wifi?

1 - typically you're lucky if you get one major provider to have solid 5G service in your area; it's rare that Verizon, T-Mobile and ATT all would have 5G available. Someday that might be true, but for now, it's rare. My point here is that your chocies may be limited to 5G currently serving your area.

2 - Despite what BluFeb95 said above, I have not had to reboot my T-M 5G gateway every day. I've not had any problems so far.

3 - The 5G has far faster speeds, and more reliable, than the ATT Uverse I was suffering with. Until T-Mobile came in with 5G in my area, Uverse was my only choice for internet, and it continued to degrade over time with each year we had it. The last several months we've had a problem they cannot even identify; though I have detailed video recordings of the failures, which they refuse to acknowlege. We are on a mile's worth of twisted-pair copper lines to my house, and the best speed I could get was around 12dn x 1up. Now with 5G, it varies anywhere from 75dn - 200dn, and the uploads vary from 12-20. So it's WAY faster.

4 - T-Mobile is only $50/mo (all in). And if you have your phone(s) with them, it's half of that! IIRC, Verizon is $25/mo also. Don't know about ATT 5G.

Perhaps someday I'll have Verizon and ATT 5G in my area also, and then the competition will be even better, but for now, it's hard for me to badmouth T-Mobile when they are FAR, FAR better than the ATT experience I was stuck with.

1 - typically you're lucky if you get one major provider to have solid 5G service in your area; it's rare that Verizon, T-Mobile and ATT all would have 5G available. Someday that might be true, but for now, it's rare. My point here is that your chocies may be limited to 5G currently serving your area.
This is key of course. We have a very good "5G UC" signal at our house which has translated into 700 Mbps downloads on the T-Mobile home internet device (and our phones). But travel only a few miles away and the UC is gone with a corresponding drop in speed.

If you are work from home 100% and job role requires best uptime on internet (video calls) stick to cable/dsl/fiber.

$100/month I pay for working at home(since 2003) with about 99% uptime and consistent speeds is well worth it.

For the causal home user cellular is a good cheaper option if siginal is good to your home. I have used it working and occasionally drops or speed varies but that is dependent on specific location. The wired internet does not care where you are nor effected as much by saturation.

Hi. My local wired broad band internet is about $90+ a month.
I've seen deals from all 3 big mobile phone carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon) for the $50 a month 5G routers.

Has anyone switched to them and have either a good or bad review of the service.

Are they stable where you could use them reliably as a "Work from Home" internet connection connecting to your office?

Another issue I can think of would be streaming, like watching Netflix movies. Wondering if after a certain point the speed will be throttled and the mobile compaies will slow down your speeds, making watching streaming movies difficult?

Please reply with your experiences on this. Thanks.
Give T Mobile a try, nothing to lose, don’t cancel your existing service and try TMobile out for a month, if it works great! If not, send it back. You can even try it for two weeks and send it back for free.
No one in here can answer your question as 5g internet service depends on your EXACT location of your home and local cell phone towers.
Every situation is different.

With that said, I cannot for the life of me understand how someone could pay $90 a month for Internet service. That is insane.

We have fiber optic 300/300 service for $57 a month actual payment in our new home and the home we just sold now has fiber optic Internet service around that speed for $50 a month actual payment.

I suspect you are renting your router from the Internet provider, or paying for way more speed than you need. 🙃

Mine has been defecating the horizontal sleeping apparatus all day after a garden variety light spring storm with rain. Phones have gone into emergency mode several times and the gateway is about as reliable as the network news.

Different plans, different throttling, different hardware. So an experience with a hotspot is not comparable. That's the point I was trying to make, sorry if I was unclear.

It was clear (to me at least)

I have T-Mobile, my dad just got the Verizon version - both are working great. I've had it about a year and it has proven to be more reliable and faster than cable - and half the price!

Back