Filter cutter has arrived

I finally got my filter cutter and I have to say I wished I had bought one sooner.
My first 2 post mortems were on a UPF63R from my L8T Silverado HD and a 64XL Champ filter from my 1.5L Equinox.
The 63 had a surprisingly robust base plate. Both filters were the exact same construction with identical bypass springs. Its clear the Champs were made by the same folks that made the AC (although thats not news here)
Neither one was very dirty, both had something just under 5K on them.
I can see I am going to have fun with this tool.

Scott

Good deal! It's a fun way to spend our money & look at evidence. I will buy one too soon as I've just grabbed whatever primitive tool hacked.

I don't have one but would like one. My hand held can opener is old and works poorly. I am frugal, (read) cheap and a tool that serves dual purposes would be great.

Will it open a can of corn?

I don't have one but would like one. My hand held can opener is old and works poorly. I am frugal, (read) cheap and a tool that serves dual purposes would be great.
Will it open a can of corn?
Lot of filter cutters on eBay for $20 - $25.

Here are the filters. I couldnt go to sleep tonight knowing that I hadnt fulfilled my new duties on BITOG.
This is the UPF63R off my Silverado. just under 5k miles (3k towing) on GM Full syn Dexos 5W30

20240411_193655.jpg

20240411_193424.jpg

This is the Champ 64XL from my Equinox. Only 6k total on the car with about 5k on this fill of Kirkland 0W20. The Champ filters continue to impress me especially considering the price. Lots of similarity in these 2 although the Champ has a silicone ADBV but the AC is rubber. The bypass springs are identical. As you can see they arent real dirty but a 5k drain on either vehicle is definitely not pushing the oil or the filter. I buy all my stuff on sale and stock up so cost is not a factor. All in I am less than $20 for the Equinox and maybe a few bucks over $20 for the 8qts in the Silverado. Short money against the cost of not maintaining these expensive vehicles.

20240411_193511.jpg

20240411_193502.jpg

Congrats on the new cutter, so many reasonably priced options now at Amazon and ebay for filters cutters. Wasn't that way when I first started.

Your filters look good, As regards the Champ XL though, not all have been showing up exactly as you posted. Some have been ecores and with nitrile adbvs, at least coming from RA. Imo, a filter labeled XL Synthetic, should use silicone adbv.

Thanks for c&p.

Something I forgot to make note of on the internals of these filters.
I have noted in the lpast that the PF63 on the Silverado (many years and tons of applications) and the PF64 which is used on my 1.5T Equinox are more similar than I had originally thought. Based on data I have seen from AC Delco the only difference I found other than length was that the 2 filters had slightly different bypass pressures. I dont recall what I found but it varied slightly according to my recollection. My thought was towards just using a PF63 on both, theoretically gaining more filter size on the Equinox application.
Its clear from the pics that this AC UPF63R and the Champ 64XL are made by the same people. The inner tube and louver construction is the same but also the bypass springs are identical right down to the color of the plastic. So based on this I could use the PF63 on the Equinox since everything else is the same. I have a pretty good stash of filers right now so it wont likely happen anytime soon but it may in the future.

Scott

Back