Fess up! Who doesn't change their own oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought a new vehicle in 2009 I decided I was not going to crawl around under cars anymore. I've maintained over 40 different vehicles of my own in my life time plus friends, neighbors, and kinfolk. I decided not to do that anymore, just that simple.

I value a sense of independence, that’s why I do it; it is more of the same for others chores around the house

I do my own for the sole reason I can do it quicker at home than its takes for the round trip to the garage for an oil change, cost difference is insignificant, especially as its only once a year task.

Yeah, I've done my own oil changes and other work since 1975, boy was it cheap then! lol

But any car under warranty I let the dealer do it, what choice did I have?

But now I've been using a pair of FilterMags on the spin-on filter for the last 4 yrs, can't trust
any shop not to toss them out or steal 'em! I'll keep doing it till I'm in wheelchair, then I
bug the kids to do it under supervision!

Been driving for five decades. The next time I change my own oil will be the very first time. I know, I am missing all the fun the rest of you DIY drivers seem to be having.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Been driving for five decades. The next time I change my own oil will be the very first time. I know, I am missing all the fun the rest of you DIY drivers seem to be having.

That's interesting and bookends the other extreme. What about any other car DIY stuff?

I like changing oil so much that I'm going crazy having to wait another month for both my cars haha.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I like changing oil so much that I'm going crazy having to wait another month for both my cars haha.

Thats why you volunteer to change others oil.
smile.gif

I do my sister and her husbands vehicles, since they have a problem "remembering" to do it, and do my mom's so she does not have to worry about "upselling" when she gets hers done.

Mine is changed at the dealership, either by me, one of the techs I trust, or both of us, because it is under warranty and I want a record. I supply the oil and filter regardless of the actual labour split.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
About 1 in 20 is done by a shop.

That few? Outside of this forum i would have guess that most people use an oil change service. You are saying that only 5% of people use an oil change shop?

Last edited:
Not only have I always changed my own oil, but have spent my life changing other peoples oil too. I seldom crawl under a car to do it, where ever I work has always had a pit or hoist.

I always do it myself. Only once in the last 5 years I had someone else do it, because I had a free oil change at the dealer when we bought the wife's Subaru. It was more of a hassle than doing it myself.

I change my own oil in my Sierra-since it's easy and requires no ramps. As far as my wife's 2017 Santa Fe XL-I'm not crawling underneath (having to get out the ramps) when the dealer charges $33.00 for an oil change/tire rotation-isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I usually change the Ranger because it is an easy change.
Regarding the others:

2. I don't like ramps. Had an uncle killed with a set.

Never crawl under a car without two separate support systems to raise the vehicle and the wheels to the rear chocked.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: cjcride
About 1 in 20 is done by a shop.

That few? Outside of this forum i would have guess that most people use an oil change service. You are saying that only 5% of people use an oil change shop?

I should have been clearer. I meant for me, doing her car and mine about every twentieth oil change might be done by a shop.

Last edited:
I do it myself. If for some reason I was unable to, I have a mechanic that does the work I don’t want to do and my brother would help me.

If I had to change it in the cold snap we are having right now... I'd have the local garage do it. Convenience. I did very recently let the garage do brakes and install snow tires on my truck; I waited too long and decided I didn't want to jack it up in the snow--only to find out that I should have, as it needed all new brakes in the process. Ouch. But again, convenience.

I did prebuy service on the wife's Camry in high hopes that she'd take the car in herself when it needed work (hint hint) but she never carried through--not sure what I was hoping for, but it certainly didn't come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back