Arc'teryx Jackets

Any Arc'teryx jacket owners?

I am looking for an insulated jacket that provides warmth and rain resistance for a Seattle Climate. I am considering their new Ralle Insulated Men's Jacket, but the price tag is staggering.

Truthfully, I am unfamiliar with the options in this market and am open to guidance. I recognize that Gore-Tex has its benefits, but also suffers from some serious durability issues - especially if it isn't maintained.

Barbour w/ the zip in quilted liner? Being a BITOG'er, the Barbour gives you something else to maintain!

Arc'teryx do make nice clothes, Helly Hansen is decent...

I'd recommend looking at Patagonia or Fjallraven to save money.

Arc'teryx is great but they are very up market for ultralight backpacking and such, like outdoor research but turned up to 11.

Goretex is a bait with powerful marketing. It doesn't breath once it gets wet.

Do you have an REI near you? They carry Arc'teryx, so maybe you could try one on and see what you think. I've looked at their stuff at our local REI and their jackets seem to be very well constructed. Also, give the REI brand jackets an honest try, you might be pleasantly surprised for the money.

My wife spends a lot of time outdoors and has a couple Arc jackets… Both Protons. She loves them. They are worth the money, they are engineered well and last.

Arc makes the best synthetic insulation and shells out there. Patagonia has excellent fleece and good down. Rab has good down also.

Other than being crazily priced, their sizing also runs on the very small side - one size up might still fit snug.

Goretex was a let down for me - if you were dry from rain but wet from your sweat. Plus you still have your lower body to worry about. But this was with military goretex tops, bottoms, and boots. It might be better quality now on hiking clothes.

I hike a lot but my overall choice is to buy a cheaper Swiss/OR/Eddie Bauer/REI as I have the habit of making the zippers break or rips around the elbow/armpits.

I've now come to the realization that if you really want to avoid getting wet in the rain, nothing beats an umbrella.

Barbour w/ the zip in quilted liner? Being a BITOG'er, the Barbour gives you something else to maintain!

Barbour jackets are nice. Maybe a peacoat for Mr. Critic?

I like bush jackets. The one I wear during the cold season is from Flight Outfitters. It's warm, and extra roomy in the shoulders for arm articulation. It's made from duck cotton and has a quilted lining and Sherpa accents. Pleated bi-swing back for comfort. The collar can be turned up and stays up for protection from wind. Hand warmer pockets, interior pocket. I use a waterproofing spray on it. That jacket is cheap as peanuts but looks very nice and is super durable. I've had mine for 5 years.

For serious rain resistance, I wear a GoreTex shell over any jacket. It folds up so small it fits in my pocket. For Seattle, a full-length rubberized raincoat and a Southwester hat would be ideal.

I know someone with an Arc'teryx jacket. It's a hideous blue and looks looks kind of flimsy.

My bush jacket. It's pretty rain-resitant because I spray it regularly with ragtop protectant. In heavy rain I wear a GoreTex shell over it.
DqQtCZb.jpg

Last edited:
My ski jacket is an Arc’teryx shell. It’s great. Tough, durable, lightweight, and absolutely windproof. I bought it at the outlet in Castle Rock, CO, for less than half the sticker price.

Great idea. I did some homework and found some colors of the Micro Puff Storm on sale. Any feedback on that model?

Do you have an REI near you? They carry Arc'teryx, so maybe you could try one on and see what you think. I've looked at their stuff at our local REI and their jackets seem to be very well constructed. Also, give the REI brand jackets an honest try, you might be pleasantly surprised for the money.
REI's Arc'teryx selection is pretty minimal, but I will check out their in-house brand. Thanks.

My ski jacket is an Arc’teryx shell. It’s great. Tough, durable, lightweight, and absolutely windproof. I bought it at the outlet in Castle Rock, CO, for less than half the sticker price.
Which model?

Good grief, $650 for a jacket made in Vietnam. I have a North Face Apex Bionic 3 made in El Salvador that was $160. Not a rain jacket but has a bit of moisture resistance and has held up great. Love the style and very comfortable, if it’s really cold I have a wool coat or Columbia ski coat. I wear the North Face a lot here in MD.

jeff

Great idea. I did some homework and found some colors of the Micro Puff Storm on sale. Any feedback on that model?

REI's Arc'teryx selection is pretty minimal, but I will check out their in-house brand. Thanks.

Which model?
I don’t recall the model. It’s a ski jacket, with snow barrier, recco locator, and googles pouch. This is the closest one to mine.

I was going to say… can’t beat a waxed Barbour jacket. Many of these “technical” jackets are pretty flimsy.

My combo is a Barbour, a Patagonia down coat, and a Patagonia rain coat. Works for me.

Any Arc'teryx jacket owners?

I am looking for an insulated jacket that provides warmth and rain resistance for a Seattle Climate. I am considering their new Ralle Insulated Men's Jacket, but the price tag is staggering.

Truthfully, I am unfamiliar with the options in this market and am open to guidance. I recognize that Gore-Tex has its benefits, but also suffers from some serious durability issues - especially if it isn't maintained.
I'll have to look at my current jacket for the brand but I purchased it on sale at a ski shop years ago. Way less than an Arc'teryx but super comfortable and has zippers to open pockets if you get too hot.

I was going to say… can’t beat a waxed Barbour jacket. Many of these “technical” jackets are pretty flimsy.
My friend with the Arc'teryx had to toss his jacket after it got torn in a very mild backyard confrontation. A couple rolls on the concrete and it tore.
My combo is a Barbour, a Patagonia down coat, and a Patagonia rain coat. Works for me.
Barbour jackets are made to last. Pass it on to your son. Pablo ragged on my Patagonia Sherpa vest. Said something about the '90s calling. :eek:

Arc'teryx is great but they are very up market for ultralight backpacking and such, like outdoor research but turned up to 11.

Goretex is a bait with powerful marketing. It doesn't breath once it gets wet.
FWIW, my snow and “rain” shell is a Patagonia H2No - forget the style but it’s kept me reliably dry in Bay Area and Portland storms. And layered with a fleece jacket or a down jacket, it’s probably the best snow jacket I’ve owned. Bought it at the Patagonia outlet in Reno.

I don’t recall the model. It’s a ski jacket, with snow barrier, recco locator, and googles pouch. This is the closest one to mine.

Found this one for 20% off:

Appears to be a more trimmed version of the popular Beta Insulated. Still expensive, but the 20% off beats paying full Msrp.

Not crazy about the color though.

Found this one for 20% off:

Appears to be a more trimmed version of the popular Beta Insulated. Still expensive, but the 20% off beats paying full Msrp.

Not crazy about the color though.
I think I would keep looking. I got my jacket about two years ago. I think the MSRP was $750. I think I paid under $300, at the outlet, during a sale, and after they added a military discount - at $500 or more - I think there are better options.

My Arc’teryx is a really nice jacket, but the MSRP is astronomical. At the price I think I paid, it’s a decent value as well.

Mountain Hardwear makes great gear. They’re currently running a 40% off sale.

Is there anything they have that fits your requirements?

Back