Snap-On vs. Matco vs. Gearwrench Metric Universal Impact Extensions

Looks like MAC, Cornwell and Steelman also have options:

@D60 - looks like Steelman does make a SAE version, but they are currently OOS: https://steelmantools.com/products/7-swivel-head-3-8-inch-drive-sae-extension-impact-socket-set
Thank you! Mac, too

No one will ever convince me that snap-off tools are worth their price tag. I laugh at people that get on that truck now. $480 for six pieces? Are they made from the heart of a dying star?

Worth is subjective, I have several Snap-on tools that have paid for themselves 10 times over while others were a waste of money.

It's great to have choices! If I need a weird size socket I use every 8 years....It's not going to be Snap-on.

Worth is subjective, I have several Snap-on tools that have paid for themselves 10 times over while others were a waste of money.

It's great to have choices! If I need a weird size socket I use every 8 years....It's not going to be Snap-on.
when I repaird forklifts the new guys would have an assortment of Craftsman tools . they wore out or broke rapidly. After a while Snap on would be their choice. That being said My dad bought me a Craftsman tool set when I was at the mini bike age and for home use the Craftsman tools worked fine and I doubt I ever broke a craftsman tool at home. I have broken and worn out Snap on tools at work more than I would like to admit but when the 20,000 lb capacity forklift is broken at 1900 hours and there isn't an available spare and at 2400 hours a 747 freighter is going to arrive and needs to be unloaded ,, what ever it takes to get the job done is done.

No one will ever convince me that snap-off tools are worth their price tag. I laugh at people that get on that truck now. $480 for six pieces? Are they made from the heart of a dying star?

With me it's the opposite. I compare the value of a dollar to a Snap-on tool.

Well, I just went way off the reservation and ordered this Monster kit. It runs 5/16" thru 7/8" (although I question the strength of these joints in sizes 3/4" and larger). I kind of like that it has 12" extensions rather than 9", but I also wonder if they'll just twist like crazy.

I fully understand I have no warranty as Monster is now defunct, but for $150 delivered and as infrequently as I anticipate use, I'm happy to take my chances (shrug)

Well, I just went way off the reservation and ordered this Monster kit. It runs 5/16" thru 7/8" (although I question the strength of these joints in sizes 3/4" and larger). I kind of like that it has 12" extensions rather than 9", but I also wonder if they'll just twist like crazy.

I fully understand I have no warranty as Monster is now defunct, but for $150 delivered and as infrequently as I anticipate use, I'm happy to take my chances (shrug)
I did the opposite. I only need the 10mm and 14mm sizes, so I'm getting them from my SO dealer. He offered me a price that was more than 30% under list, so I can live with that.

I did the opposite. I only need the 10mm and 14mm sizes, so I'm getting them from my SO dealer. He offered me a price that was more than 30% under list, so I can live with that.

Good move. The Snap-on units will probably offer more angle deflection ability than the other brands; that's always been my experience with Snap-on flex sockets.

Critic.....You mentioned Toyota/Aisin transmission pan bolts (6mm with 10mm hex drive), I use a Snap-on 1/4" drive 10mm Impact Swivel on a extension. I tape the socket to the extension with 3M Super 33+ tape, Trust me....The socket will not come off assuming the socket & extension are clean.

I bought some Cornwell extended impact swivels a while back.....They seem either too long or too short for what I'm doing. Seems easier to just pick the length extension I need? You can also see the difference in dimensions between a the 3/8" drive Cornwell & 1/4" drive Snap-on.

Been loving my Semi Deep 3/8" Impact Swivels, They're just deep enough to move the base out of the way but not too deep/long to cause interference.

If I'm having trouble "Torque Loss" (I know that not the technical term when using a Impact) I use my 1/2" drive Impact Friction Ring Extension & a 1/2" Impact Swivel.....This extension & Semi Deep Snap-on 15mm Impact Swivel rarely gets defeated!

L0BVqin.jpg

7Lou9w2.jpg

v1avSb8.jpg

In further overthinking this, some brands offer 12pt while others offer 6pt. I was thinking I'd want 6pt because the use case for these is often that they're not on the head of the fastener perfectly square, and in such situations 12pt is far more likely to "whhiiirrr" -- that wonderful grinding sound that always makes you cringe and wonder just how much you have now turned down the head of that fastener.

I stand by that EXCEPT in 12mm I would want 12pt for Ford's driveline bolts. So, now I'm on the hunt for a 12mm 12pt single. Mac offers one but OOS of course. I've been unable to determine what the Steelmans are but I think they're 6pt

edit: I don't care for the design of the Matcos and the GW X-core is universally poorly reviewed

edit edit: confirmed, Steelman is 6pt

Ok, the obvious choice for my 12mm 12pt is the Sunex 212ZUMDL. It's 1/2" drive but that's great.

Ordered from O'Reilly online of all places so I could combine w Carlson (branded as BrakeBest here) H9440 brake assembly lube at the reco of @clinebarger

O'Reilly online is far and away the cheapest on the brake lube if you can order enough to get free shipping, and the Sunex socket got me there. Combined with a $5 O'Rewards code, too.

I might need to pick up a set of those 3/8” semi-deep impact swivels. I can see them being useful for a number of applications in conjunction with a long-neck cordless ratchet.

I currently have the pinless Astro Pneumatic shallow impact swivels. They are unbeatable for the price but there have been times where I have wished for additional depth.

I don't have the shallow swivel impacts, they seem more of an occasional use tool.

For the price, they are worth having around.

Gearwrench pin-less impact universals are absolute junk. I believe the original x core sockets were made in Taiwan, and were a great product for the price. I was able to use one in daily heavy industrial use on a Milwaukee 1/2" cordless for over a year. The replacement came, was made in China, and had different markings than the old one. It failed tightening two 5/8" studs. Had it warrantied, and the replacement also failed in two tightenings.

Typically I was getting 1-3 months on Apex impact pin style universals, so I am sold on pinless. I'm using a Matco pinless now, and it seems like a winner. It's actually smaller than the Gearwrench. It is significantly more expensive than Gearwrench, but it seems like it's going to hold up great.

Typically I was getting 1-3 months on Apex impact pin style universals, so I am sold on pinless. I'm using a Matco pinless now, and it seems like a winner. It's actually smaller than the Gearwrench. It is significantly more expensive than Gearwrench, but it seems like it's going to hold up great.
From what I have heard, the newer Matco pinless is not great. My Matco guy even admits that he has several techs who do a lot of trans r/r’s and he is warrantying one every month for those techs.

I do like their slimmer profile and short height in the 1/4 size, so I might invest in a set. But the price is staggering compared to Snap On, with seemingly worse durability.

From what I have heard, the newer Matco pinless is not great. My Matco guy even admits that he has several techs who do a lot of trans r/r’s and he is warrantying one every month for those techs.

I do like their slimmer profile and short height in the 1/4 size, so I might invest in a set. But the price is staggering compared to Snap On, with seemingly worse durability.
Time will tell. I use it daily, and I'll report back if it breaks. I don't see any flaking or damage to it yet, but it's only been 2 weeks. 1-1/16"x 1/2" drive. I don't know the exact cost, but it was over $70 for one socket.

Time will tell. I use it daily, and I'll report back if it breaks. I don't see any flaking or damage to it yet, but it's only been 2 weeks. 1-1/16"x 1/2" drive. I don't know the exact cost, but it was over $70 for one socket.
Randomly came across this comment:

4F09673C-9C00-4AF4-B95E-7D9FF5566E06.jpg

(Seems to match what I am hearing from local users)

Back