Exercise And Treadmills ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A gym membership can give you access to two useful devices, a stair climber, and a rowing machine. Both are zero impact. The stair climber forces you to lift your weight each step and the rowing machine helps to work your core muscles as well as your legs and arms.

I used both during my fight with cancer. I could not take the pain in my hips on the treadmill and at the time lifting weights or using the weight machines was too painful on my joints.

I got the best results right after waking up and on an empty stomach using Tailwind and water for fluids while working out.

I have declared myself recovered at 72. I go for 1 to 3 hours on the stair climber and 1 to 2 hours on the rowing machine (my butt gets sore). I'm doing an exercise day 3 to 5 times a week but in my case I'm desperate, running from the cancer and highly motivated. This stuff is part of a mostly self-directed treatment plan that passed on chemotherapy and radiation with a diet that focused on starch and lots of fluids.

Be careful of taking dangerous exercise supplements, massive amounts of protein and drink enough water to make your eyeballs float. If you need that "secret" supplement try caffeine with Tailwind but nothing else. Focus on more starch in your diet, it won't make you fat and it's very satisfying and your recovering system will like you.

I'm defective and this kind of program worked for me. You've got to be willing to put yourself out, be consistent and really want results. I can't emphasize "wanting results" enough. You've got to want to succeed more than that next soda, the next night out, that next dish of ice cream, that next plate of spare ribs or (you fill in the blank). The biggest failure in a program like this is not wanting "it" enough. My overall health "turned the corner" when I decided that I wanted the next goal in my exercise program as much as I wanted my next breath of air. I discovered that it was my "secret to success".

Sorry, I ran on but this part of my life consumed me for 9 years, so far. I succeeded when doctors, common knowledge and the whole healthcare industry declared that I was wrong. It's difficult now, to look around and see people suffering when the solution for so many is within their grasp and it's so simple.

My advice is to focus on shorter runs at a pace as fast as you can go to get the heart rate cranking and the lungs working hard. Alternate between a hard run and than walking at a slow pace long enough to get the heart rate and breathing back to normal, then repeat.

Long runs at a slow pace are better than nothing, but not as good as the interval approach I have suggested. At least its true IMO if nothing else. Best of luck and congrats on starting an exercise program!

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
My advice is to focus on shorter runs at a pace as fast as you can go to get the heart rate cranking and the lungs working hard. Alternate between a hard run and than walking at a slow pace long enough to get the heart rate and breathing back to normal, then repeat.

Long runs at a slow pace are better than nothing, but not as good as the interval approach I have suggested. At least its true IMO if nothing else. Best of luck and congrats on starting an exercise program!

Excellent Excellent advice and best yet 20 to 25 minutes all it take incorporat weight training proper diet you'll be shredded in no time.

Did the OP say he was going to run? Sounds like that may be a ways off.

People exercise in Phoenix year round. At the butt-crack of sunrise around 4.30 am or late in the evening. Drive around at 10 pm and you'll see soccer games and baseball games under lights. People adapt.

If it's too hot, go to the mall and walk around. No need for a gym membership.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I my neck of the woods it is just 10 bucks for just about all gyms. I go generally twice week.

I just bought a treadmill myself. I've had one before so I am not a newbie.

My wife noticed that Costco had a fairly good quality one marked down considerably from it's original purchase price. It's a ProForm Premier 1300 for $999. Apparently, an internet search seems to indicate that these first sold at $2000 or above then were marked down to $1499. At $999 they look to be a very good bargain when you look at comparables. My wife will use it for walking type workouts and I will occasionally do the same when the weather stinks.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

How old are you ?

Down here many old people go to the mall in the morning to walk around and have coffee at Chick Fil A.

We are in our mid-fifties. Mall is far away.

Yes, I've seen many older folks walking the malls for decades. Generally they seem to do it before most stores open and then gather for coffee. Kind of nice to see. But for my wife and I, that would not work as the mall isn't close and we sort of live in a small country town. I often walk outside with my dogs for an hour before work. I try to do it daily when it isn't pouring rain. I'll use the treadmill when it's like that. My wife will watch TV or listen to music while she uses the treadmill.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A gym membership can give you access to two useful devices, a stair climber, and a rowing machine.

Exercise is bad enough. Let alone having to pay money and drive somewhere to do it.
grin.gif

We have a decent gym where I work. Certainly not free, but very minimal charge per month to use. I used to partake but soon began to realize the extra time needed away from home made it less than enjoyable. I'm already at work 40 hours per week....that's enough.

They're great if you can stick with a routine that works for you. I bought our ancient Pro-Form treadmill used, years ago. Like 17yrs ago. The kids have beat it up pretty badly and I haven't used it with any regularity in years. Back when I used it, I would watch a 30min or 1hr TV program while I briskly walked.

The main advantage of a treadmill is that you put a little incline into it. A 4% grade is going to be more efficient exercise than just strolling around a mall. I like the cross-country machine at the gym. It gives you a slightly different work out than a treadmill, which is just mechanized walking or running, after all.

I used the stair stepper all last winter when the cross-x machines seemed to be always occupied. It's not very popular. It was effective, but the exercise was so different from running that it was hard to readjust in the summer.

I think the lowly recumbent bicycle has the most to offer, truth be told. I always see old people on them at the gym. They are obviously not gym rat types, but they seem to be pretty slim, and in shape. They just sit there with the machine on a low resistance setting and grind it out for a long time, every day.

I would be reluctant to get a machine for the house. A good one is expensive, they take up a lot of room, and how do you get it fixed if it breaks? Buy a gym membership instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back