Gout

Holy smokes this is painful!!

I've been getting it on and off for about ten years. It would come for like a day or two and then go away. Maybe six months ago it started to get more frequent (every 10-14 days) and more painful (like the weight of a sheet in bed is agony lol). So I went to the doctor, did some blood tests and went onto allopurinol. It seems to be working but still getting flares every month or so, this one now is particularly bad. I have heard sometimes it gets worse before it gets better when starting the allopurinol. The doctor also upped my dose a bit. I hope I can get on the other side of this stupid thing... Jeesh. I know this is pretty common so I assume I'm not the only one here with it?

I've been getting it on and off for about ten years. It would come for like a day or two and then go away. Maybe six months ago it started to get more frequent (every 10-14 days) and more painful (like the weight of a sheet in bed is agony lol). So I went to the doctor, did some blood tests and went onto allopurinol. It seems to be working but still getting flares every month or so, this one now is particularly bad. I have heard sometimes it gets worse before it gets better when starting the allopurinol. The doctor also upped my dose a bit. I hope I can get on the other side of this stupid thing... Jeesh. I know this is pretty common so I assume I'm not the only one here with it?
Just curious. How often do you drink sugary soft drinks?

Tart Red Montmorency Cherries will help with gout symptoms and regular use can ward off the Gout. I use Indian Summer brand of Tart Red Montmorency Cherry Juice. You can also get the good stuff in freeze dried supplements.

I use these also. Handy for travel. I did not pay that much. They are on sale often.

A link for the Cherry juice

Last edited:
I used to get it frequently. My doctor prescribed cholchicine. I took it a while and discontinued taking it when the symptoms went away. Don't know why it hasn't happened for >1 year now. Gout has been replaced by other maladies I guess.

many savy real nutritionists note that fructose that is everywhere!! + CHEEP, table sugar is about 50% + high fructose corn syrup could be even more + many fruits considered healthy are not for this reason, a cheep sweetner, lots of questionable cures. i consider Dr Sten Ekburgs info on many things including all types of sugars by MANY names eye opening, it "hides" in many foods especially processed + is making many young + old quite unhealthy!! fatty liver aka non alcoholic liver disease common with todays kids from fructose as it like alcohol can only be processed by your liver!! the cause prolly varies depending on ones overall health or NOT!!

Just curious. How often do you drink sugary soft drinks?

I don't, at all. Well maybe an iced tea or something once a week. I also don't drink alcohol. I do drink 2-2.5 cans of diet pop a day and probably 1/2 gallon of water a day.

I know some foods can trigger it, but also some people say it's just genetics. My dad does have it as well but allopurinol helped him a lot. Who knows. I haven't been able to pin it down to anything specific food-wise. Although I did notice on a bottle of sriracha sauce in the fridge it says "contains purines" in huge letters lol. I used to eat a good amount of that stuff until I saw that 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I used to get it frequently. My doctor prescribed cholchicine. I took it a while and discontinued taking it when the symptoms went away. Don't know why it hasn't happened for >1 year now. Gout has been replaced by other maladies I guess.

I have some colchicine as well but it's a reactive treatment only, not proactive like allopurinol.

Alcohol (esp beer) is a prime suspect, excessive amounts of meat, sugar, coffee whitener, generally anything that comes into body with amount of 'poison'.

Most of the agent provocateurs of irritations like gout, migraine headaches and such annoyances are things that are hard to quit, e.g. beer, wine, cheese or avoid like stressful situations.

Suffered on and off for years. Currently on Febuxastat, trade name Uloric. 40 mg a day. Water is key. Eat or drink what you want with moderation. Colchicine for flares but the side effects (diarrhea) are pretty unpleasant. Prednisone will knock out a flare quickly but you don’t want to overdo that either. Alleve (naproxen sodium) is a good OTC alternative. Proper hydration and diet moderation will keep you out of trouble.

Febuxastat (Uloric) for me as well, and it works well. I couldn’t tolerate Allopurinol for some reason. Allopurinol is preferred as Uloric has been associated with increased cardio risk.
Sugary treats are the main trigger for me. Christmas is a dangerous time for getting gout (lol).
I use prednisone for the 2 - 3 times a year I have an attack.

I take a 300MG Allopurinol every day and haven't had a problem since.
And, I know exactly what you mean about the bed sheets. Couldn't stand for one to
touch my foot, big toe. Period!
Anyway, all is good now.

Started having gout after dr. changed my blood pressure meds. Didn't connect the dots for a long time, months. Researched the new med and found out a side effect was gout.

Told my doc who didn't believe me til i told him it was listed by the AMA as a side effect. He went to his office, came back and gave me an rx for a different med.

Lisinopril, i believe caused my gout.

Haven't had a bout since then.

Back