Exercise and Health

Al

By no means is this post construed to imply that you DO this or not as it related to YOUR physical health. It is a narrative on MY experience and is somewhat opinionated.

At the age of 34 I had Mitral Valve Prolapse and smoked ever so little but over a long time. I never got "hooked." Sometimes I would go a year without a cigarette. But at that age I stopped and have not had a cig. after that. I started running at age 33. (1979) I figured it would either kill me or cure me. Over the next 24 years I averaged 1150 miles/year. ( 27,600 miles). I would go YEARS without missing a day. I stopped then (age 58 ish) and continued to "walk" on a treadmill set at 15% grade and at a speed less than 2 mph.

Fast Forward: Recently I was diagnosed with A-Fib and it turns out I have had it for "at least" 5 years. This came about when I was hospitalized and almost died from a tick Bite. The Tick did not cause these problems but all the testing I had done "found" the problem. THANK YOU TICK!!!

Recently then I had an Echo Cardiogram and discovered I have "severe" tricuspid valve leakage (35% to 40%). I know I did not have this prior to say 1980. (I had an Echo Cardiogram about that time).

So now comes my "too late benightment": I firmly believe that the running is the reason that I am in better shape than 98 percent of 77 year old people. However, I am just as confident that my Valve Leakage was "caused" by this running. I firmly believe that WALKING on a treadmill would have prevented my present condition.

What I do these days is 5 times a week go on the treadmill and walk at 1.6 miles per hour for 20 minutes @15% grade. That gets me a bit over 400 vertical feet!! I am not the slightest out of breath and my pulse is 120 bpm. My BP is say112/ 65 after exercise (I do take meds). By all accounts I am in great physical shape....tricuspid valve notwithstanding.

My Message [not advice]: Look at my history and whether you are young or old possibly learn from it. I would say (obviously) see your doc before starting an exercise program. If "I" were 77 and out of shape "I" would start at 1.4 mph and put the elevation at 5% and do 20 minutes. I would then work "up" from there.

I am not really interested in arguing. But I am happy to hear what others think. And I am hoping I did a little good for even 1 person. And BTW I will be getting a second opinion at Johns Hopkins and if necessary, THEY will fix the valve.
Al

Best of luck to you on your health.

I have taken up walking my dogs, for their health and mine. I have been diagnosed with arthritis in both hips, but have stayed away from the doctor's office (no pain or stiffness) largely because of the miles I put on each week.

Good luck with your health. I'm going to hit the gym this afternoon!

I have mitral valve relapse also but it's minor at this time. Only one doctor, my old cardiologist, heard it. My new cardiologist and GP don't hear it or say it's really faint.

Can they do tricuspid valve replacement with minimal surgery or do they need open heart for that?

Last weekend we walked from a campground to a gas station, less than two miles round trip. You'd think we were a bunch of aliens based on the looks. We've had similar experiences in a lot of other areas since we don't tow a car and a lot of time it's just a easy walking that breaking down the RV. Walking is getting a endangered activity. If you'd see us compared to others.. well let's just say we're in a lot better shape. That and we don't drink alcohol but that's other discussion.

I believe in fast walking to drive up the heart rate to your proper age appropriate HR.
I can relate to what you do on the treadmill as I joined Orange Theory for the cardo benefit.
I would push the incline up to the max 15 and speed 3.5 to 4 MPH generally, then vary over that time regulating my heart rate to stay within 140 to peak at 165. As I became more fit and after an ablation I made a mistake on two different days and hit around 182. I was shocked that I could do it. Doctor says 140 to 160 is good for my age. 220 - (your age) =

I do the same whether cutting the lawn or walking around the community. I am not knocking running but let's face it, day in and day out long term. I dont know what kind of wear and tear people may be doing to their joints.

Many ways to work out when not on the tread. Even though I have an self propelled electric mower, its easy to push so only about 10% or less of the time do I use the self propelled feature, even like yesterday in the middle of the day and 95 degrees. I strive to get to the 140 for a short period of time and I do.I keep track of my heart rate with my Apple Watch, in fact I can tell by looking at my heart rate what day I cut my lawn*LOL*
With that said you do not need an expense watch, heart rate monitors to wear on your wrist are inexpensive if that is all you are interested in.

Exercise is great, glad you are doing so well! Everything you typed sounds great to me. Maybe people who dont understand what we are talking about but would like to, would be best to try Orange Theory even if once a week for a month or two. This will teach them about the treadmill, help them to understand their heart rate and limits. Also talk to their doctor to inform what you are doing and if its ok.
Then if you wish, you can stop the Orange Theory, use what you learned about heart rate and working the tread mill at another place if you dont want to pay the cost of OT>

I have arthritis and other joint issues from heavy weight lifting, contact sports, and other extreme activities.

General exercise/fitness and extreme activities/sports do not typically have the same outcome when it comes to health. Most of time with extreme activities/sports you are giving up a some of your future health, in one way or another, to achieve a goal in present. It is what it is.

By no means is this post construed to imply that you DO this or not as it related to YOUR physical health. It is a narrative on MY experience and is somewhat opinionated.

At the age of 34 I had Mitral Valve Prolapse and smoked ever so little but over a long time. I never got "hooked." Sometimes I would go a year without a cigarette. But at that age I stopped and have not had a cig. after that. I started running at age 33. (1979) I figured it would either kill me or cure me. Over the next 24 years I averaged 1150 miles/year. ( 27,600 miles). I would go YEARS without missing a day. I stopped then (age 58 ish) and continued to "walk" on a treadmill set at 15% grade and at a speed less than 2 mph.

Fast Forward: Recently I was diagnosed with A-Fib and it turns out I have had it for "at least" 5 years. This came about when I was hospitalized and almost died from a tick Bite. The Tick did not cause these problems but all the testing I had done "found" the problem. THANK YOU TICK!!!

Recently then I had an Echo Cardiogram and discovered I have "severe" tricuspid valve leakage (35% to 40%). I know I did not have this prior to say 1980. (I had an Echo Cardiogram about that time).

So now comes my "too late benightment": I firmly believe that the running is the reason that I am in better shape than 98 percent of 77 year old people. However, I am just as confident that my Valve Leakage was "caused" by this running. I firmly believe that WALKING on a treadmill would have prevented my present condition.

What I do these days is 5 times a week go on the treadmill and walk at 1.6 miles per hour for 20 minutes @15% grade. That gets me a bit over 400 vertical feet!! I am not the slightest out of breath and my pulse is 120 bpm. My BP is say112/ 65 after exercise (I do take meds). By all accounts I am in great physical shape....tricuspid valve notwithstanding.

My Message [not advice]: Look at my history and whether you are young or old possibly learn from it. I would say (obviously) see your doc before starting an exercise program. If "I" were 77 and out of shape "I" would start at 1.4 mph and put the elevation at 5% and do 20 minutes. I would then work "up" from there.

I am not really interested in arguing. But I am happy to hear what others think. And I am hoping I did a little good for even 1 person. And BTW I will be getting a second opinion at Johns Hopkins and if necessary, THEY will fix the valve.
Al
Thanks for sharing your experience, I have gotten a bit more serious about my fitness in the last few years, just after I turned 40 of course... I started running as its an easy way to get a whole body workout and cardio in 20-30 minutes, and once I could hold some km below a 5 minute pace it was kind of fun again, like running as a kid.

So you ran around 3-4 miles a day? At high intensity or pretty easy? and you ran regardless of how you were feeling?
I have read in the Atlantic I believe that one of the highest risk groups for heart attacks is men between 40-60 who run for 5+ hours a week.
Also I don't exercise more than walking when I've got a cold or flu with muscle aches now, as I think its got the potential to damage the heart, by working it hard with inflammation present.

I try to do some cardio, either biking or running each day but looking at my strava stats over the years I seem to miss quite a few and don't have too many weeks where I get 5 hours in. I usually do some high intensity stuff though and get my heart rate up in the 170's for a couple minutes.

Thanks to alarmguy's previous threads about heart care, I purchased a small Kardia monitor to keep track of myself. I purchased an elliptical machine for winter use and am doing the NOOM diet management app. thing (not a gimmick diet, just mind/habit reorientation towards healthier eating). I'm going slow and moderate with minimal results, but healthier overall. Dropping a pound per month with a goal of 20 pounds less fat.

The main message I get in the OP is to beware of OCD exercise. You young guys LISTEN!!!!!! I know many similar aged (67) coworkers in my woods-related career field that wrecked their bodies by trying to work "macho style"......heavy lifting, etc. to show off their manliness. Now they have wrecked backs, artificial joints, you name it. Of course genetics comes into play, but things like power lifting and muscle building supplements will catch up to you later.

Al, do you have any knee or other issues from all of that running? And, thank you for sharing!!!!!!

our health or not depends on a LOT of things!! as Sten Ekburg former olympic decathalon participant notes the body was made to MOVE. genetics surely play a part BUT many things factor in + we are all individuals that respond differently IMO. i am just a regular guy trying to stay healthy + active + believe being a construction worker has helped me be better as i age as i was an inactive overweight kid that ate TOO much TOO, often!!! lost the lbs along the way + healthier - LESS eating + better food choices allow me to do what i want MOSTLY at 75 YO !! of course IMO adding nutritional supplements helps make up for our POOR foods these days!!

You could be onto something with that, but who knows. After all, moving your body more and eating less (bad stuff) can't hurt or be a bad thing overall.

How's your knees and joints in general? I'm only closing in on 53 and my knees hurt. I've had some surgeries on the left.

I've been a YMCA member for some years and was good about going at least 3x per week for some time, but my work hours have been killing that for the past 3-4 months. I do a lot of walking and climbing at work.

I smoked socially from ~18 to maybe 29, back when I had a social life LOL. Like you, never got hooked. I could go weeks without. Haven't had one since.

Al
Don't beat yourself up over it. Running is not a cause for heart leakage but high intensity exercise can make it worse. My WAG is that you always had it to some degree. A lot of people have some leakage.

I firmly believe that the running is the reason that I am in better shape than 98 percent of 77 year old people. However, I am just as confident that my Valve Leakage was "caused" by this running. I firmly believe that WALKING on a treadmill would have prevented my present condition.

You may be correct. I was an avid bicyclist for decades. I'm terribly out-o-shape now, due to autoimmune disease. What 46,000 miles of cycling did do is wear out my knees and ankles. Repetitive motion injury is very real, and I did not understand that cartilage does not grow back. It is a consumable resource.

In the end, I'm convinced that free weights in the gym is the better overall solution.

I also know, a bit too late, that diet and exercise are not cure-all's. We tend to mistakenly believe we can fix disease by diet and exercise. Nothing could be further from the truth. The best we can say is that being at an ideal weight and having an acceptable level of fitness is helpful with regard to disease. It may not prolong life at all. Yet there are untold YouTube doctors and authors who have the magic cure.

Utter nonsense. My autoimmune disease was brought on by Epstein Barr virus at age 33. It results in 134 different gene expressions, mutations and has two types. So everyone's response to this African virus is different. I died twice. Ended up with Hashimoto's, (Tg and TPO antibodies) MCTD (high RNP antibodies) and a severe heart infection, along with non functional testicles, pituitary failure and the resulting adrenal insufficiency. Do you really think eating sunshine and leaves or carrots and celery, or nothing but steak, will fix the mutated genes?

By the way, we now know EB virus causes MS, Lupus and likely is the root cause behind Parkinsons and nearly all other autoimmune diseases. Different gene expressions of the same disease.

Al
are they putting you on a beta blocker now? I take metoprolol 100 mg PO q D. a lot of people who have AFib also have costochondritis and or acid reflux or GERD. sometimes acid reflux can simulate a lot of these symptoms also. glad you found it out now. my guess is eventually they're going to probably do a halter monitor just to check and see. sometimes heart issues are mechanical and sometimes they are electrical. keep us informed of your progress

I am on Eliquis, Knees/hips are perfect (I only weigh 140). I am not going to get cut open, no matter what. They will need to do it through vein. I do some weights but not heavy ones. I am on 5mg Lupin. Don't know how I can do what I can with 35-40% leakage. I doubt I had this all my life bc it was not detected in 1981 is with an Echo Cardiogram.

Reactions: JTK
So you ran around 3-4 miles a day? At high intensity or pretty easy? and you ran regardless of how you were feeling?
I have read in the Atlantic I believe that one of the highest risk groups for heart attacks is men between 40-60 who run for 5+ hours a week.

Interesting read:

I’d suspect that improved blood volume, O2/CO2 exchange efficiency, and higher capillary density all help with outcomes regardless of plaque.

Good luck with your health. I'm going to hit the gym this afternoon!

I have mitral valve relapse also but it's minor at this time. Only one doctor, my old cardiologist, heard it. My new cardiologist and GP don't hear it or say it's really faint.

Can they do tricuspid valve replacement with minimal surgery or do they need open heart for that?

Valve replacement can be done via open heart surgery or via an artery with a TAVR valve. Pros and cons to both: surgery has much longer hospital stay and recovery time but is likely more durable with fewer ongoing restrictions. TAVR better option for older patients with other health issues.

I know about TAVR. Mick Jagger had that surgery. My wife's boss wants to get that but the guideline is you need to be over 70 and he's only 68. The open heart valve lasts longer. He's in a race between time and his deteriorating aortic valve. I wasn't aware if they can do tricuspid valve replacement with minimal invasion since it's in the middle of the heart.

Back