Best comfort dress shoes?

For few months I am trying to figure out which dress shoes would be best for 10-12 miles walk a day?
Several times a year I have to do 5-7 day trip to Washington DC, where I do 10-12 miles a day of walking. It must be dress shoe that goes with suit and tie (no flexibility).
Last trip absolutely killed me! I had 4 blisters and serious pain from them. I am contemplating Skechers but their design is definitely not classic. They have some classic designs, but not any more comfortable than my Oxford type shoe now.
Any suggestions?

Maybe try Allen Edmonds. But 12 miles? I can usually get away with desert boots, casual but dressy enough. I can walk in Clarks all day long although they are not comfort boots. Probably not 12 miles. With long pants, nobody can tell I'm wearing boots unless I take my pants off.

Last edited:
I can't think of a single mens leather dress shoe that goes with a suit and tie, that would be suitable for a 12 mile walk. That's like asking which wheelbarrow tire is rated best for over 100 MPH.
Yes. It is actually something I really, really like to do. It is fun part of my work. But, constant walking kills me. Not bcs. distance, but mandatory attire.

Scratching my head why anyone would wear dress shoes to do some serious walking? It's like wearing a suit to change your oil.
I would use a solid black in color athletic shoe. That will go with anything and save your feet.

Scratching my head why anyone would wear dress shoes to do some serious walking? It's like wearing a suit to change your oil.
I would use a solid black in color athletic shoe. That will go with anything and save your feet.
This makes sense. If your company makes demands on your footwear that is incompatible with your job, (extensive walking in dress footwear that is causing you blisters), you could visit a Podiatrist and tell him your situation.

If anything, perhaps he could provide a medical note that recommends you be able to wear alternative footwear, that is more applicable with your excessive walking that is required for your job. (Not at all unreasonable if this is causing you blisters and pain).

Because much like womens high heels, mens dress shoes are designed for style, not any kind of long distance comfort. Even the high mileage waitresses at Hooters wear tennis shoes with their short shorts and panty hose.

Yes. It is actually something I really, really like to do. It is fun part of my work. But, constant walking kills me. Not bcs. distance, but mandatory attire.
Did you check a place selling Clarks … ? they tend to have gel inside and/or a cushioned bottom …

Did you check a place selling Clarks … ? they tend to have gel inside and/or a cushioned bottom …

I agree… I had a very nice pair of Clarks that were great to walk in for long distances.

I had those shoes for 17 years… Worr them out needles to say.

For few months I am trying to figure out which dress shoes would be best for 10-12 miles walk a day?
Several times a year I have to do 5-7 day trip to Washington DC, where I do 10-12 miles a day of walking. It must be dress shoe that goes with suit and tie (no flexibility).
Last trip absolutely killed me! I had 4 blisters and serious pain from them. I am contemplating Skechers but their design is definitely not classic. They have some classic designs, but not any more comfortable than my Oxford type shoe now.
Any suggestions?

Maybe carry two sets of shoes - one for walking the other for meetings and looking good. I would definitely consider the Sketchers in black (what I wear business casual) they look innocuous enough from a distance. No shame in carrying a nice backpack if need be, many down there do with suits and ties...

Bill Blass makes some nice shoes and they are comfortable, but not sure they hold up on long road-marches or are formal enough....

Last edited:

White rubber soled dress shoes are in style currently. Personally, I'm a grumpy boomer and not crazy about the look but a young fella like you could take advantage of the current styles. These AE's look comfortable and dressy enough in leather. Ecco is a solid recommendation.

Faced with this dilemma myself, I'd wear a pair of lace up dress boots with thick socks in the fall and winter and white soled dress shoes in the spring and summer.

I also have a pair of Rockport wingtips that are sneaker like and very comfortable.

Ecco and Clarks come to my mind at first

otherwise, you can always get a size up dress shoes and put a gel/foam insert into the pair

My Ecco shoes were comfortable for long walks, but they were not a dress model. Much more of a casual shoe.

My latest pair of Johnston & Murphy are absolutely a dress shoe and I would have no problem walking a long distance in them. Also, waterproof, with an all weather sole. Mine are brown, but black is available.

This pair, they run a bit big, so try them on before buying:

When I was still working and wore suits all the time in a job that I was on my feet 90% of the time, I had three go to makes of shoes that were comfortable, wore well, and were reasonably priced. I generally chose one of the three, based on sales/incentives:

1. Rockport
2. Florsheim Comforttech
3. Bostonian (name escapes me at the moment, however their comfort series is excellent, as well.)

Loafers over tie shoes. Soft leather over stiff leather.
Also consider whether you need to go up a half size or need a wide width.

Back