Evolution of Ford F150 through decades (PICTURE)

Reflective of a change in intended use though the decades.
IMG_5536.jpeg

Evolution from beast of burden to family hauler.

Those of us who still use the trucks to do truck stuff are all the worse for it.....Granted, mine also replaced my Accord as a daily driver, so I'm guilty as well.

I don't really get it, you can still order a long bed short cab.

I love my short bed crew cab. Fits in the garage, can fit a bunch of people in the back when needed, can fit a bunch of stuff in the back when needed, can tow no problem, tons of storage space under the seats, and can still haul stuff in the bed when needed.
Those are rare and likely you’ll have to order it as you mentioned. There will be a sea of 4 door 5.5 foot beds on the dealer lot though.

The one truck I’ve ever owned was a 4 door 5.5 foot bed F150. I liked it but at the end of the day like 90% of truck drivers I didn’t really need a truck. It was wasteful and ate a ridiculous amount of fuel.

They are not as plentiful as the short beds since that what people want, but they do have them on the lots here. Mostly XL trims for businesses etc

But, I am in truck city

To me the absolute weirdest (and arguably most useless) were GM’s regular cab short bed 1/2 tons in the leighties-90s-00s. I mean, reg cab long beds at least haul plywood and tow well. Crew cab short beds haul people and tow passably. Regular cab short beds don’t do anything except give you a spot for a hillbilly hot tub.

I don't doubt that's the evolution of the most popular models, but you can still get a work truck easily if that's what you want... I have one of both.. Believe me the new crew cab short bed Ram is capable of far more work than the 88 F-150 with the longer bed..

To me the absolute weirdest (and arguably most useless) were GM’s regular cab short bed 1/2 tons in the leighties-90s-00s. I mean, reg cab long beds at least haul plywood and tow well. Crew cab short beds haul people and tow passably. Regular cab short beds don’t do anything except give you a spot for a hillbilly hot tub.
They offroad well because short wheelbase, decently strong truck chassis, and more power than a jeep

Its a waste of $ to get a truck with a short bed. Its nice to be able to haul an 8 foot board of wood, plus the extra space for what ever else.
If you need to haul people get a bus, or cross over.

They're hot rods!

I love the look of a single cab short bed pickup.

Seems a bit disingenuous the put a long bed up against short beds, also pretty sure you can still get a kind bed super crew…

Pretty sure lumber comes in lengths longer than 8'. Not closing the gate on that.

Never had a problem moving 4x8 stuff in my 6.5' bed. Tailgate down, couple tiedown straps. Done.

To me, a 5.5' bed does seem too short... but what do I know, it might make a great tow rig. 4 doors for the fam, put on a topper/camper/shell/whatever, some storage for wet stuff (or smelly stuff, or anything you don't want in the cab). Plenty of pulling power.

Most trucks haul people more than stuff nowadays so this makes sense. If you need more room for carrying stuff I guess you could always get a trailer and actually do truck things.
I found my truck towed my small 6x14 enclosed trailer quite well. I could walk into that, and load it to the gills (probably not a good thing, wasn't rated for the weight). Vastly nicer to deal with than a high bed height!

Back