Ford Recall for Electronic Parking Brake F150

These systems have logic that doesn't allow for activation above certain speeds and other criteria....but when wiring is involved anything can happen. To be honest, I thought we would have heard of issues with EPB systems years ago when they first began appearing. I still prefer manual park brakes.

In my opinion the E brakes are simpler because there are fewer parts.

From the article: “The Michigan automaker said it would fix the issue by installing a protective tie strap and tape wrap on the brake wiring as well as replacing the rear axle wiring harness if necessary “

When I purchased my 1985 Ranger and got underneath it I had to secure wires because they were just hanging. Ford was sloppy back then and it seems they haven’t learned. I have owned other brands of vehicles that did an excellent job underneath. If you had to drive through a foot of water those hanging wires would be vulnerable.

Electronic parking brakes are the most asinine thing to come out of the auto industry.

I'm good with DI. I'm good with turbo chargers. Come around to CVTs. But electronic parking brakes are so foolish.

Last edited:
I like pulling up the handle on my parking brake in the Jeeps, or in my E-150, stepping on it. Nice and easy, and would have saved Ford a bundle here.

I appraise used classic Rams for trade in. 99% have never used the EBrake, which means an extra $1300 to get the EBrake replaced to pass safety.
Electronic EBrake, operates automatically, if setup that way. I don't call brakes on new body style Rams.
Use them or lose them I guess.

My son in laws 2023 Forf F150 is one of them and his has been acting up...

EPB also brings additional service procedures for doing rear brakes - GM for example you need to set them into service mode with a scan tool. Some systems have work around steps you can take to get to service mode but I know more than a few DIYers got in a mess when they didn't know how to work on them lol

EPB also brings additional service procedures for doing rear brakes - GM for example you need to set them into service mode with a scan tool. Some systems have work around steps you can take to get to service mode but I know more than a few DIYers got in a mess when they didn't know how to work on them lol
same with a Honda... There are other ways to do it without a scan tool that require removing the epb housing and maually turning it back....

I haven’t had a problem with mine, and the retract procedure is a bit of a key dance - so it can be done at home. At least the issue is a wiring issue, not something more. It’s a recall that one could check in their driveway and likely fix it in less time than it takes to drive to the dealer (if they are bitog-savvy), same as the shift linkage clip they had a couple years ago. Idk if the tailgate recall check is simple but I imagine it probably is. I do realize that not everyone is bitog savvy, including everyone else in my family, and most of my friends and loved ones.

Electric parking brakes seem to be reliable IME. I have had far more issues with cable operated parking brakes. Plus they give old curmudgeons like us something else to talk negatively about.

Because having to push a pedal down or pull a lever up was so hard that it needed to be re engineered to an electronic button . Not picking on ford as they all have that junk now.more stuff to easily break and cost a small fortune to fix.
My understanding is that a switch to EPB was necessary for some ADAS related systems.

ADAS, sounds like something bad where the sun don't shine. What's is that. Way to many obscure shortcut abbreviations.

My understanding is that a switch to EPB was necessary for some ADAS related systems.
I don't understand what part of the ASAD system would necessitate an EPB system. One works when the vehicle is moving and the other works when it is parked. I understand that the EPB can be used as a "hill holder", but this was an afterthought "feature". The first use of EPBs was in 2001 (thanks a lot BMW and Audi), long before ASAD systems came out.

I don't understand what part of the ASAD system would necessitate an EPB system. One works when the vehicle is moving and the other works when it is parked. I understand that the EPB can be used as a "hill holder", but this was an afterthought "feature". The first use of EPBs was in 2001 (thanks a lot BMW and Audi), long before ASAD systems came out.
Supposedly the EPB controller can be integrated with the ABS module for vehicles equipped with AEB and adaptive cruise, so the EPB operation can potentially be integrated into future functionality for lane keep assist and automatic emergency braking. Also, discussion about integrating stability control and EPB has been a work in progress for a number of years. Here’s a SAE paper about the idea:

Prefer the electronic version. Every rwd/4x4 ford truck and SUV I've owned ended up with rusted e brake cables, frozen hardware in the parking brakes, and an extra set of shoes and springs where something inevitably broke after years of salt exposure.

The electronic version uses the same pads, relies on the same hardware as the main brakes - which means that they generally are in good repair. No issues following the key dance to put in repair mode when doing brakes either.

Back