How aggressive do you drive your PSD (turbo pressure)

I routinely go from 0 to 10 PSI and if I really need to romp on it maybe up to 15 or 18 PSI.

The gauge goes up to 40. Does anyone get it above 20?

Five decades ago I learned if you drive a little crazy (sand starts trying to burn rubber) and break things (output shaft in 1965 Mustang with three speed manual) you have to come up with the money and hassle of fixing what you broke.

I routinely go from 0 to 10 PSI and if I really need to romp on it maybe up to 15 or 18 PSI.

The gauge goes up to 40. Does anyone get it above 20?

Five decades ago I learned if you drive a little crazy (sand starts trying to burn rubber) and break things (output shaft in 1965 Mustang with three speed manual) you have to come up with the money and hassle of fixing what you broke.
18psi? I see 25 on most diesels I drive if I romp on it. is this an old 7.3?
stock boost won't hurt a diesel but with normal driving you'll rarely get close to 30psi (if it's able to make that much)

Work has a few F550’s. I’m sure it’s in the gearing, but they reminded me of driving my father in laws 6.0 whether they had a load or not. In order to do anything, they needed an aggressive peddle push. Better to work than to lug I suppose.

The max I have seen on my heavily modded 2000, Old 7.3 W/144k, in 140hp race tune is 29/30 PSI. Boost is only seen as a restriction, in reality it does not always equal out to more boost produces more HP or Torque. The higher the pressure, the higher the charge temp will be unless you have compensated with a Mega intercooler. Heated charge temps will totally kill HP in its tracks!

My 2002 DMax will put out about 32 PSI, but it was professionally tuned on a dyno with EFI Live by Idaho Rob. It is also highly modified. DMax stock is 18 PSI.

Work has a few F550’s. I’m sure it’s in the gearing, but they reminded me of driving my father in laws 6.0 whether they had a load or not. In order to do anything, they needed an aggressive peddle push. Better to work than to lug I suppose.
I think the tallest gears a 550 comes with is 488's I had an F450 with 488's, it was horrible!

If you are stock then the ECU should keep you from having trouble. I wouldn't worry too much about how high you go. I think it is good to get these VGT turbo's moving so you keep the soot cleaned out of them. I use my exhaust brake a lot to cycle the veins.

FWIW, I often see 20+ when pulling my 36' TT. I have my Edge 2 set to 25psi for an alarm and getting on the interstate it is usually screaming at me if it's a short ramp. I've seen 28-29 and not worried about it. EGT's are a bigger threat IMO. I hate to see about 1300F on my Cummins. That alarm is set to 1350F and rarely goes off.

Just my $0.02

If you are stock then the ECU should keep you from having trouble. I wouldn't worry too much about how high you go. I think it is good to get these VGT turbo's moving so you keep the soot cleaned out of them. I use my exhaust brake a lot to cycle the veins.

FWIW, I often see 20+ when pulling my 36' TT. I have my Edge 2 set to 25psi for an alarm and getting on the interstate it is usually screaming at me if it's a short ramp. I've seen 28-29 and not worried about it. EGT's are a bigger threat IMO. I hate to see about 1300F on my Cummins. That alarm is set to 1350F and rarely goes off.

Just my $0.02
The vgts do get sticky. My mom's old Jetta with a vgt would hang up at 20psi unless you romped on it hard, then it would suddenly boost up to 25 (where it should be)
I gave it a few good Italian tune ups and there's no more hanging up at 20psi.

The vgts do get sticky. My mom's old Jetta with a vgt would hang up at 20psi unless you romped on it hard, then it would suddenly boost up to 25 (where it should be)
I gave it a few good Italian tune ups and there's no more hanging up at 20psi.

Yeah this is why I use the exhaust brake on my truck. It really exercises the VGT.

Just my $0.02

I do not own a PSD but I lay the boots to my ISB6.7 from time to time. Ive burried the boost guage on mine towing heavy uphill. Not sure what the numbers are but I think it goes just shy of 30psi. I think those runs I was **** near redline, around 3200rpm.

The max I have seen on my heavily modded 2000, Old 7.3 W/144k, in 140hp race tune is 29/30 PSI. Boost is only seen as a restriction, in reality it does not always equal out to more boost produces more HP or Torque. The higher the pressure, the higher the charge temp will be unless you have compensated with a Mega intercooler. Heated charge temps will totally kill HP in its tracks!

My 2002 DMax will put out about 32 PSI, but it was professionally tuned on a dyno with EFI Live by Idaho Rob. It is also highly modified. DMax stock is 18 PSI.
How is Rob doing? Haven't seen him in many years.

That's what I have in my 5500, and F Superduties.
Have an F350 c&c 7 3L with only 4.10s and it's running at WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear on most any hill.
Is that what they do when they only have like 180hp? You don't see these 400hp 6.7s doing that. They're doing 80 with 10,000 pounds up a mountain

How is Rob doing? Haven't seen him in many years.
LOL, IDK, I have not seen him since 2010 when he tuned my truck. I would bet with all the EPA threats and fines they have been handing out he is limited on his tunning services, meaning "Off Road Disclaimer" for his services. He used to sell his tunes in a form of a file for clients that had EFI Live and just wanted one of his tunes, there used to be alot of tuners that would sell tunes in file form. You could just download them onto your laptop and load them if you had EFI Live.
Is that what they do when they only have like 180hp? You don't see these 400hp 6.7s doing that. They're doing 80 with 10,000 pounds up a mountain
The 1999-2002 PSD is rated 275HP at the crank, they are a bit of a pooch stock! Work on them and change some parts, get the right tunes, it's a totally different animal! Mine is on a diet, weights 6250lb empty with well over 300HP at the rear tires.

Back