Ever replaced rusty brake lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Sure, you can say anything, but doing it is another. I'd like to see you use a pressure washer after driving home in 9 inches of snow/slush, while its still snowing, and like 15 degrees. Going to do this in the driveway, with all the snow? In the driveway after you clear the snow? Either way, you, your vehicle, and the driveway are now a block of ice.

Like I said, I do it. We generally get a good foot of snow every year here. This last winter it hovered around zero degrees for a few weeks. They did put some salt on the road, and as soon as I saw white residue on my Jeep, it was removed. While it was around zero degrees. Yes, I had to hook the hose to the drain on the water heater, but I did it. In the dark I might add. If I lived in a place where this was common I would be much more setup to do it on a regular basis.

Even when salt is not an issue, I wash my vehicles inside a shop quite often. This way nothing dries while I'm working on it leaving spots.

I could have also used a commercial car wash, which are generally heated.

I don't think you fully comprehend what we have to deal with up north. Think of the roads that are white pretty much all winter long, not with snow, but with salt. You would have to fully wash the underside ever single time you drove the car.

And commercial car washes recycle the drain water, meaning your car is washed with a filtered salt brine mixed with some clean water, since I highly doubt they are equipped with very expensive and maintenance intensive reverse osmosis filters that are needed to remove salt.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't think you fully comprehend what we have to deal with up north. Think of the roads that are white pretty much all winter long, not with snow, but with salt. You would have to fully wash the underside ever single time you drove the car.

I think a big part of my comment was meant to infer, "why would you want to live in a place like that?" It's kind of sad to think the term "rust belt" is aimed at an artificially created condition not provided by mother nature.

But if I was forced to, I would surely build a sprayer for the underside of my car that I could easily drive over, frequently. It wouldn't be hard or expensive. The forest service and DNR commonly use such setups in portable configurations to rid vehicles of "invasive species" when going into sensitive areas.

I'm working on building a new shop and there will be a covered wash bay, with a good fleixble hose, dedicated water heater and pressure washer, vacuum, and maybe undercarriage wash, so I can give everything a good wash in any weather condition. And no, I'm not rich, and the most expensive vehicle I have is worth about $12k. I expect it to last me a lifetime.

I replaced the worst front brake lines on the (now) 17 year old Dakota with factory steel lines a couple of years ago. The local dealer gave me a good discount, and it saved me from all the bending.

When the old front-to-rear line blew out a few months ago, I went with Ni-Copp, because the "new" front lines already looked as bad as the old ones.
frown.gif

As soon as that job was done, as I was finishing up bleeding the rear, a front line I hadn't replaced yet blew out.

I just bought another 25' and bunch of fittings from The Stop Shop (direct is cheaper than through Amazon). The "new" front lines are getting replaced soon. NiCopp is a dream to bend and flare, compared to steel. I hate doing a job twice, but there it is.

My Jeep will be due for one sometime this summer, but I am trying to not drive it in the winter too. Buying good tools and some NiCopp line is substantially cheaper than the OE steel line, which is sadly a dealer only item now.

As picky as I am about this sort of thing, I see no issues with going this route. The tools will be there to use in the future too.

Some pictures of my '97 Taurus. The wet look is from spray grease.

rusty-brake-line-6.jpg
rusty-brake-line-5.jpg
rusty-brake-line-2.jpg

This is the one that blew.

rusty-brake-line-3.jpg

Under the drivers seat.

under-the-drivers-seat.jpg

Originally Posted By: Warstud

They also rust/corrode from the inside out.

No they don't. 6th grade science lessons, oxygen and water are required for steel to rust.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I think a big part of my comment was meant to infer, "why would you want to live in a place like that?" It's kind of sad to think the term "rust belt" is aimed at an artificially created condition not provided by mother nature.

But if I was forced to, I would surely build a sprayer for the underside of my car that I could easily drive over, frequently. It wouldn't be hard or expensive. The forest service and DNR commonly use such setups in portable configurations to rid vehicles of "invasive species" when going into sensitive areas.

I'm working on building a new shop and there will be a covered wash bay, with a good fleixble hose, dedicated water heater and pressure washer, vacuum, and maybe undercarriage wash, so I can give everything a good wash in any weather condition. And no, I'm not rich, and the most expensive vehicle I have is worth about $12k. I expect it to last me a lifetime.

Cool, how would you keep this whole setup from freezing?

Where I live, houses are waaaay cheaper than other locales, to compensate for the inconveniences.

Originally Posted By: Claud

No they don't. 6th grade science lessons, oxygen and water are required for steel to rust.

Claud.

Incorrect. You need four things for corrosion: a cathode, an anode, an electrolyte, and a return path from the anode to the cathode. I just came back from a 3 day training course on corrosion for work.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Cool, how would you keep this whole setup from freezing?

Drain things when you aren't using them. A used water heater dedicated for this purpose doesn't cost much, and you could leave the temperature set just above freezing when you aren't using it.

Even in the summer it's much better to wash your car with warm water than cold.

Claud.

7th grade science class told us O2 is present in water in the form of dissolved O2 molecules (I guess that's how fish get their O2).
As brake fluid is hygoscopic it makes sense to me anyway that if it absorbs water it also absorbs the O2 it contains and is probably the reason you find rusted caliper pistons that are otherwise sealed from the outside elements.

I'm no scientist just an old wrench turner so I wonder what they taught in the 8th grade? LOL

Originally Posted By: Trav

Claud.

7th grade science class told us O2 is present in water in the form of dissolved O2 molecules (I guess that's how fish get their O2).
As brake fluid is hygoscopic it makes sense to me anyway that if it absorbs water it also absorbs the O2 it contains and is probably the reason you find rusted caliper pistons that are otherwise sealed from the outside elements.

I'm no scientist just an old wrench turner so I wonder what they taught in the 8th grade? LOL

Whatever. I've never replaced a brake pipe that rusted from the inside out.

Claud.

My 2001 Ram, a Canadian program vehicle I bought 1 year old with 3300 miles, that spent its first 5 years in the Great Lakes area, required complete brake line replacement by autumn 2006, after I moved to Louisiana despite many car washes with underspray in the winter, it was just a bad design for this that packed salt in the brake line area beside the fuel tank. The dealer service advisor in LaPlace chided me for going salt water fishing in my truck, he had never dealt with a vehicle from up north and was a grizzled old dude. They admitted it was a bad design after reviewing the vehicle history but costs were still 100% on me.

You never saw a rusted (behind the piston seal) metal caliper piston?

Or Rocker Panels that rust from the inside out and never got wet or exposed to salt.

You never saw a rusted (behind the piston seal) metal caliper piston?

Or Rocker Panels that rust from the inside out and never got wet or exposed to salt.

Certainly I've seen pistons that have reacted with degraded brake fluid.

I don't live near a desert, I haven't seen such a rocker panel in the UK. Poorly applied sealing will allow moisture laden air to do its work. I suppose there is a tiny amount of moisture in the air in the Atacama Desert, parts of which have no recorded rainfall at all. Replacing rusted structural metal in cars kept a full time welder busy in a shop I worked in during the 1970's-1980's. But nowhere in the UK is more than 72 miles from the sea.

Claud.

This weekend I decided to flush the brakes on my Camry, again. Am guessing it went from 1999 to 2016 w/o a flush; nothing but green fluid came out in 2016. Well, nothing but green fluid came out again this weekend. Don't know if I need to keep flushing and get dead clear, or if it's just a terminal condition.

Keep flushing it till it runs clear. I have heard a few reasons for green brake fluid including algae and copper/brass corrosion but I really don't know.
The root cause is definitely from moisture in the fluid over a longer period of time. I read a TÜV report some years ago that said even in a closed system 1-2% moisture absorption is per year is common and "normal".

Not being in that line of work I have to accept their findings as factual for the climate they operate in which is similar to many parts of the USA. In desert or very dry areas I am sure that number is much less.

It's weird too as this car was in Arizona for like 10-15 years.

I should try doing a gravity bleed on it this long weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back