Brakes shoes lining fell off ...

I had a surprise while repacking the bearing on my RV trailer ... one brake shoe lining fell off ... never happened to me before ... I will replace them but I was questioning myself about, why not gluing back on the shoes, glue for that exist and that will be a lot cheaper than 120.00 CDN for 2 brakes shoes, not even a full set ... what a ripoff gluing , have you ever tried that ?

Not 100% sure, but I'd be willing to bet that the glues that are specced for bonding brake pad material require some form of heat cure (baking).

If you want to go through all that.

Personally, I'd rather let that liability fall on someone else, even with a travel trailer, which would have the truck backing it up.

slacktide, they are about 4 years old, highway millage never abused that's strange :) But its an RV so its expected its pure junk from one end to the other lol

for all the other guys, I will not glue the lining back I was just curious to know if someguysy have tried that.

Some looks like epoxy, and no heat required for some glue here is one of the few found on the net : https://bbs-industrie.com/fastening-materials/cold-glue/

They are either poor quality of have been overheated. I would see if rivited shoes are available.

Reactions: D60
What I suspect usually causes this is the lining rusting to the drum while stationary, not properly releasing and the lining rips off the shoe when you go. Are the brakes applied on this trailer when it's sitting? Common issue on parking brakes

Latest news from Dexter .... wow they go beyond and above all expectations I had , they will replace at no charge l/s and r/s brake assembly drum included!!!!!!! Brake assembly is the back plate, magnet, hardware, and shoes !! they even pay 1.5 hrs to do the job, but I will do it

its unbelievable, and all will be shipped to my hhome, can you imagine the cost !! that weight a ton ... so DEXTER really stands by their customer in my case .... I found Chinese shoes here for 28.00 !!! and instead Ill get for over 1000.00 of parts no charge.... wow

What I suspect usually causes this is the lining rusting to the drum while stationary, not properly releasing and the lining rips off the shoe when you go. Are the brakes applied on this trailer when it's sitting? Common issue on parking brakes
Brake arent applied when parked ,secured by wheel chock

Latest news from Dexter .... wow they go beyond and above all expectations I had , they will replace at no charge l/s and r/s brake assembly drum included!!!!!!! Brake assembly is the back plate, magnet, hardware, and shoes !! they even pay 1.5 hrs to do the job, but I will do it

its unbelievable, and all will be shipped to my hhome, can you imagine the cost !! that weight a ton ... so DEXTER really stands by their customer in my case .... I found Chinese shoes here for 28.00 !!! and instead Ill get for over 1000.00 of parts no charge.... wow
In what world are four loaded backing plates $1k? Even post-pandemic and CAD? How many axles does this RV have and what's the GAWR per axle? I mean even 8-lug 7k's shouldn't be super expensive?

I've had brake shoes delaminate on my motorcycle, RV, and ATV.

The ATV being a slow, dumb woods machine I glued things back together with JB Weld epoxy. Would never do that on an on-road vehicle, obviously. IIRC I held everything together with multiple vise grips.

JB epoxy fails at a temperature you can hit by... using your brakes.

I've had brake shoes delaminate on my motorcycle, RV, and ATV.

The ATV being a slow, dumb woods machine I glued things back together with JB Weld epoxy. Would never do that on an on-road vehicle, obviously. IIRC I held everything together with multiple vise grips.

JB epoxy fails at a temperature you can hit by... using your brakes.
So...did the ATV brakes hold up? Haha

In what world are four loaded backing plates $1k? Even post-pandemic and CAD? How many axles does this RV have and what's the GAWR per axle? I mean even 8-lug 7k's shouldn't be super expensive?
I said both brake assembly AND Drum and on top of that its all in USD

See for yourself
https://www.dexteraxle.com/results/104/12-brakes?SortOrder=Default

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with the Dexter brake lining separating from its shoe. Not too many miles on the trailer when it happened. I kept having to fiddle with the brake controller and thought something wasn't right. Thank goodness I caught it early enough before a long trip. Good for Dexter taking care of you

Im not buying anything, Dexter replace all that for free even if my trailer is almost 4 years old. Since the parts are coming from Dexter I posted the link from Dexter ...

Buying from another supplier without asking the original supplier for support is ..... press please charge me for what I might get for free button

Im not buying anything, Dexter replace all that for free even if my trailer is almost 4 years old. Since the parts are coming from Dexter I posted the link from Dexter ...

Buying from another supplier without asking the original supplier for support is ..... press please charge me for what I might get for free button
That's awesome! I missed your post that they were warranting your brakes.

Back