Encouraging pansies ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. We are soft and getting softer. We'll see how it plays out.
Not allowing kids to go to school is mostly about liability.

I do take pride that I grew up and dilt with "life" more than most today.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
A lot of people develop respiratory issues in a weather like this. It is prudent to make provisions to avoid that -- there is no need to look at the world through a faux-mach lens.

Umm..those folks can stay home...no??
I will take macho against being a "snowflake" any day.

Last edited:
Is the fear of the weather or the litigation that follows because if someone gets a cold or spends 30 extra minutes on a stalled school bus, the lawyers start to circle the ice laden water?

Great minds think alike...

Originally Posted By: Al
Agree. We are soft and getting softer. We'll see how it plays out.
Not allowing kids to go to school is mostly about liability.

I do take pride that I grew up and dilt with "life" more than most today.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Is the fear of the weather or the litigation that follows because if someone gets a cold or spends 30 extra minutes on a stalled school bus, the lawyers start to circle the ice laden water?

As someone who works with school districts, I can tell you it is almost 100% litigation. Think about snowflakes, then think of them as parents, and you have your answer. If it was cold when I was growing up, my parents told me to wear a coat. Now we have parents suing because the buses aren't warm enough or showing up exactly on time during 90 minute delays.

Awful lot of curmudgeons here. Driving to work isn't some noble accomplishment that shows grit. If you can work from home, WHY NOT? Granted I usually see this more for things like snow than it just being cold, but around here it doesn't get much below 0F.

I'm maybe younger than most on this board, but my take is this... I'll drive through 3 feet of snow if I have to. I have a capable vehicle, I have supplies and emergency type stuff in the car (I've even helped folks get unstuck in previous winters). I have plenty of cold weather gear to brave the elements. At the same time... technology has advanced to a point where we really don't need to do that. If some one has a job they need to be on site for, then sure. But if you have the ability to work from home? Do that! In many cases you are able to get more work time in. Instead of a commute doubled or more by inclement conditions you are able to just turn on the PC and get to it. Its actually making for a more productive day instead of getting in late.

Certainly there are the folks that take every opportunity to not come to work. But think of this another way... its snowing and you get into an accident because you had to be "tough" and drive in? Maybe its not your fault because you drive a tank and know what you're doing, but some one else hit you. Now you have that hassle to deal with, when you could have just stayed home and got work done.

I work outside so obviously this super cold weather is not a welcome sight for me. Plus, the older I get, the less tolerance I have for the cold...

I couldn't judge it because I'm reading a lot more reaction than back story associated with the decision. There have been times at my workplace where they might tell workers to do x ( including stay home due to x reason ) when in fact there are ulterior motives. I want to say in "modern" workplaces it'll have more to do with something like scheduled on site maintenance that was delayed or eligibility for a tax credit than it will calling people pansies because they're taking an email at face value.

From my experience, the time around the Holidays sometimes brings everything from moving cubicles and connections to mandatory vacation days, so my thoughts might possibly go to something other than the weakening of America's fiber if the company is telling me to work from home due to x.

My ten year old grand son's biggest complaint in moving from Missouri to northern New Hampshire is he misses the constant snow days that he enjoyed anytime that more than an inch fell. I grew up in a small town in South Dakota and remember only a handful of weather closings in my twelve years there. Of course that was before constant lawsuits.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
... The only thing that I feel is acceptable to cancel or delay is school if it is so cold the buses won't run. We had a few dead buses on the side of the road this morning which isn't the smartest thing.

So why not do that PRIOR to the exigent event? Why not PLAN to PREVENT the failure mode, rather than just letting it happen? Why not take the extra efforts to quell the concerns before they manifest?

I hope I don't step on the political pedal here ... My BIL was a professional buss mechanic for over 30 years. Worked for the Valley Transit Authority in San Jose. Started out working for the old contract "Silver Line", then moved to VTA when they were created. He has said so many times I don't want to hear it again, it was night and day different.

At Silver Line, they worked their behinds off to keep every buss on the road and on schedule because there were penalties in the contracts if they failed. Their goal was no fails
smile.gif

At VTA, it was based on conditions, and available man-power, whether the folks on shift had the right certs to do something, etc. If not, the buses sat
frown.gif

And the Pols that ran the outfit had different priorities like make next budget cut ("savings") goal, etc. If the public suffered, no one was really responsible ...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Back in the 60s I had a big paper route and had to deliver about 100 papers every day rain, snow or whatever. I remember one cold winter day and pedaling the bike on ice covered roads and failing down more than once, didn't work out well in deep snow either.

They close the schools now because it gets too hot at the beginning and end of the years now. We had a couple large shop fans per classroom if we were lucky. I don't think any new school would not now be air conditioned.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

People have forgotten how to suck it up and drive on..

In the USA?

Probably 50% of those under age 35 or so....

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

People have forgotten how to suck it up and drive on..

In the USA?

Probably 50% of those under age 35 or so....

Yep...other than some of our awesome military guys, most "men" under 35 are complete panty wearers.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
thumbsup2.gif
as many others have said. Grew up on a farm so I learned young how to deal with the cold. Rode my bike to work today at 2 degrees, although having chest pains which I haven't had before. My kids have it too easy as their school is only 1/2 mile away but their mother drives them anyway.. just blame it on her!
Be careful with chest pain. Exerting oneself in cold weather can be dangerous.
Be safe.

There is a lot of that going around these days. Sign of the times. Common sense is not so common and cheap excuses reign.

It does pay to be prepared and know how to take care of yourself, your family and your stuff.

Stay Warm.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'm not mad that I'm at work today with very few others. I'm disappointed in that everything in the world today seems to be an excuse for failure, rather than a challenge to build character for success!

I certainly agree. However, in this case, I wonder how many "sob stories" about wanting to work from home were an attempt to extend a long weekend.
wink.gif

I was outside all week with below zero temps snowmobiling. It sure was fun. I got alittle frostbite on my neck. If the pansies want to stay inside at home, let em. Less snowflakes in public for me to deal with. haha

BTW Ill be outside all next week in the Rocky mtns riding my sleds again. Might get a little cool in the mornings up there, especially since I dress with less layers in the mtns. Much more physically demanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back