HVAC Experts? Question

Recently had an issue with our upstairs heat pump. It’s a Goodman unit that’s almost 3 years old. The “defrost board” had to be replaced. Since then the heat will come on and run for less than a minute then shut off. The temperature stays at 70 degrees upstairs. This occurs when it’s in the 50s outside so not really cold. Seems something is too sensitive-thermostat? Don’t notice this happening when it’s 40s or colder….

That's a tough one. I was going to suggest a setting in the thermostat, but the way you describe it my suggestion would be backwards?
Might be something on the defrost board, since the issue began when it was replaced.

Is the air from the vents really hot, like the electric heaters are running? It may be stuck in electric heat instead of heat pump.

It really could be the thermostat. Is it a Honeywell?

I put in a new furnace with HW thermostat recently. Because of their insistance on that stupid (IMO) Cycles per Hour, I've seen the t-stat initiate a call for heat that only lasted about a minute (ended before the fan even engaged). Like your situation it occurred on a warmer, sunny day when there didn't seem to be any reason for the furnace to cycle.

I put in a new furnace with HW thermostat recently. Because of their insistance on that stupid (IMO) Cycles per Hour, I've seen the t-stat initiate a call for heat that only lasted about a minute (ended before the fan even engaged). Like your situation it occurred on a warmer, sunny day when there didn't seem to be any reason for the furnace to cycle.
Yes. It is a Honeywell Pro T6. Has to be the thermostat causing it. You can hear click for on and in a minute click for off. Did you figure out a work around. It’s annoying not to mention hard on the compressor.

Yes. It is a Honeywell Pro T6. Has to be the thermostat causing it. You can hear click for on and in a minute click for off. Did you figure out a work around. It’s annoying not to mention hard on the compressor.

See how to adjust the Cycles per Hour setting on pages 8 & 9 of the Honeywell Pro T6 Installation Manual linked below. As Touring5 stated, if the number of heating cycles are set too high, the thermostat will call for heat momentarily to meet that programmed frequency per hour, even if it is not needed to maintain the indoor temperature setting. If you can call up ISU# 370 (1st stage HP) and ISU# 371 (2nd Stage HP), you can try resetting the heating cycles rate down a bit (i.e., one or two cycles lower than the current setting) to reduce unnecessary short cycling.

Honeywell Pro T6 Installation Manual

Last edited:
T6s are junk. I replaced 2 brand new ones last year because they were acting stupid. Get an Ecobee 3 lite or Pro1 T855 and throw that T6 in the trash.

See how to adjust the Cycles per Hour setting on pages 8 & 9 of the Honeywell Pro T6 Installation Manual linked below. As Touring5 stated, if the number of heating cycles are set too high, the thermostat will call for heat momentarily to meet that programmed frequency per hour, even if it is not needed to maintain the indoor temperature setting. If you can call up ISU# 370 (1st stage HP) and ISU# 371 (2nd Stage HP), you can try resetting the heating cycles rate down a bit (i.e., one or two cycles lower than the current setting) to reduce unnecessary short cycling.

Honeywell Pro T6 Installation Manual
Thanks. That’s what I need.

Back