Easiest Car to work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes doesnt get much easier than the 2.2/2.5, plenty of room, well laid out for service.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Old Chrysler 2.2/2.5, Neons, Almost any 4 cyl FWD GM.

Any 2WD pickup truck from the early 80's and older.

Plenty of space under the hood, lots of ground
clearance for oil changes and limited electronics.

All the newer vehicles have crammed engine bays
and electronics all over.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Yes doesnt get much easier than the 2.2/2.5, plenty of room, well laid out for service.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Old Chrysler 2.2/2.5, Neons, Almost any 4 cyl FWD GM.

Concur, unless you have to pull the Turbo. Everything else, even the timing belt is super easy!!
fs_1985_Dodge_600_2_2L_Turbo_Engine_fvl_Convertible_Gold_Dust_Crystal_Clearcoat__2005_WW_WD_DCTC__DSCN7350.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
96 thru 2001 Jeep Cherokees for a fuel injected vehicle, cause I know em. Most any pre smog pick-up(1974?-earlier) for carburated vehicle.

+1 for the Jeep

Though I'd extend that even as far back as the dreaded 87 Rennix FI system.

Air cooled VW Beetles. The engine was simplicity itself. Entire engine can be dropped from the car in less than half an hour (by me). Record time for engine removal at one VW event was less than 2 minutes (4 men involved).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
When I said I used to stand in the engine bay to work on it..... I was not exaggerating.
grin.gif

My truck, except the wrong color! And yes, I've stood in the engine bay, sat on the engine, you name it. I'll just jump in the bay when I install the 500 lb valve springs.
wink.gif

Looking at the Ford pics, my HQ comments still stand.

One quirky thing about my E30 (not the easiest I've ever had to maintain) was that when I dropped stuff changing the timing belt, I could bend over, and reach the ground to pick it up, through the engine bay.

Never had that before or since.

I'd go for the HQ too - just because I've done so much work on them I don't even have to think. For nearly 30 years they were the car I laid a spanner on most often....not because they needed it,but because they were so common.

Not the VW Beetle - you had to pull the engine out to work on them...and then had to pull all the tinware off to get at anything.

Re the original post - it would have to be pushrod and rear wheel drive,points and carbed,manual trans...then you could keep it going forever. For me,although they are ohc,I'd go for a Mercedes as they are repairable for ever - oh,but I've already got one,although as a 1994 it's too late model with too many electronics.

I've done this with my motorcycle a few years ago - got a bike that is simple and easy to work on,parts still available,able to be modified...and reliable and fun to ride. A BMW Airhead.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Original VW Bug.

For a lot of things, but usually you have to block the car way up in the rear and pull the engine to do any work.

Cylinder heads--Step 1 is pull the engine.
Clutch--Step 1 is pull the engine.
Generator--Step 1 is pull the engine.
Intake manifold--Step 1 is pull the engine.
Any bearing work or inspection--Step 1 is pull the engine.

I got real sick of working on my '64.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
F100:

Looking at your top picture again is educational. I thought that butchery of a battery tie down was just something someone cobbled together for my truck. Apparently, that's not the case.

My SRT-4 was probably the easiest car to work on so far. Everything came apart easy, no bolts ever got stripped or rounded, suspension changed out in a snap, etc. The oil pan drain plug and the oil filter also sat inches apart, which made oil changes very easy. Only difficult thing to remove/replace was the o2 housing on the turbo; I had a shop do that for me. But that project is a notorious difficulty on that car, so I really can't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back