Easiest Car to work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My 81 240D but with an MT.

This.

I owned an '81 240D with the MT...

I was going to go with '70s F-100/150 but front kingpins ruined that.

Juggled back and forth between 73+ Chevrolet C10 and 72+ Dodge D150. The C10 has a pad mount starter that is easier to replace than the Mopar gear reduction starter but the Dodge's control module and coil is easier to service than the HEI.

21.gif
I don't know. Either one.

Originally Posted By: bigsplash
If you had to buy a car and the only criteria was, that it had to be easy to work on, what would you get?

A Toyota Corolla!!!

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
96 thru 2001 Jeep Cherokees for a fuel injected vehicle, cause I know em. Most any pre smog pick-up(1974?-earlier) for carburated vehicle.

I agree with the Jeep Cherokees I loved working on mine. Most Hondas are easier too.

HQ-WB Holdens. No overly tricky heater boxes like the Toranas, and really simple double wishbone front and 4 link rear.

My 66 200 I-6 Falcon was very easy to work on, and my 74 250 I-6 Chevy Suburban. I was able to sit on the wheel well to change plugs in that beast.

Originally Posted By: hstuehmeyer2000
A V6 Mustang. It is 2WD RWD and has a V6 where a V8 would be. Lots of room to work.

5.jpg

That's true! I just did a tune up on a ladies 2004 V6 Mustang and it only took about an hour for plugs, wires and coil replacement. I threw in MAF and throttle body cleaning too. I was taking my time and explaing to her what I was doing too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigsplash
If you had to buy a car and the only criteria was, that it had to be easy to work on, what would you get?

That would have had to be my 1966 Chevy Nova. Granted, you had to work on it more with points and a carb. But it was very simple to repair.

My 1982 Celica required a wrench and two screwdrivers plus feeler gage to adjust the valves, including removing air cleaner and valve cover. I changed the oil pan gasket needlessly (front crank seal) book said pull one motor mount bolt, jack engine and put a 2x4 to block it. Pan weaseled out.

One of the few cars I ever worked on that I got the feeling the engineers put in lots of energy into making it easy to service. Lots of fasteners the same size used too.

Last generation carbed engines were kind of complicated though.

My 4.0L Wrangler and my 04 Nissan Xterra with the VG33E, though plug #6 is a real mission everything else was easy peesy.

You want to avoid

1) Points
2) Condensor
3) carburator
4) early smog systems such as air-injection
5) big engine in a small car

Somebody mentioned Honda; you can take 90% of the car apart with a 10mm socket and 10mm wrench :)

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back