Early Oil Change on New VW EA888?

Did you have a read up of post #32? :unsure:
Likely he did but like me he doesn’t think it is relevant to long term engine reliability for normal cars, or the trajectory of how they wear out.

Earlier in my career I represented a large auto manufacturer. It was a great assignment. One of the things that I learned was that customer retention is a huge part of the business. This idea that they don’t care at all about what happens when the car is out of warranty is silly. It is why BMW put three V8s in my 540i (the original Nikasil/sulphur fuel issue) and why Honda did a motor job on my wife’s Pilot when it suffered a VCM related ring coking issue. Neither car was new. It’s not that they are really nice people, but a very big part of it is that they want to retain the customer. It is for the same reason that if pretty much every manufacturer of normal production cars tells you a break-in change is not necessary, it isn’t. Now if it helps you sleep better at night, or you own a high performance car where it is recommended, then by all means do it.

Finally, anyone who has owned a high mileage well maintained car will tell you it is not generally the drivetrain that will fail. Sometimes but not usually if they are well maintained and not driven by a maniac. Rather it is everything else. They rust. TThe seat padding gets worn and they get uncomfortable. AC breaks and costs a ton to fix. Catalytic converters fail and the factory ones are pricey or NLA, and then you have to bolt on junk or find a way around emissions. Paint and trim start to look old. Suspension overhauls are required. The list goes on as I have done it all. It is either your time or your money and the fact that the motor is still good becomes kind of irrelevant when you hit 200-250k. Even on tank like cars like a W123 Benz, E28 BMW, or a Toyota truck. So not to say don’t keep the oil clean and full but these other debates are really peripheral to longevity.

Last edited:
Do what is most comfortable.

We did 10k for every oil change with 508 oil in related engine in 18 Tiguan and it finally consumes 1 quart every 7k miles with 160k on it.
I don't think the worry is wear about 10k oil changes anyway. The oil is up for it, but it just ups the chances of pulling oil through the PCV as it ages and more valve deposits being DI only. This is likely a non issue these days. It was a small possibility on the Gen 3 engines and with the Gen 4 the PCV has been improved again. Probably worth keeping in mind my experience with this engine is modification and tuning along with most of the people I talk with regarding this engine. Some of these guys swap spark plugs at every oil change. There's definitely some overkill involved. I'd likely be fine with the 10k oil change even tuned just because of my highway driving.

Our new Atlas currently has about 600 miles on the Factory Fill.

Im planning on 5k OCI’s with VW/Audi dealer 508/509 0w20. I was thinking of doing the first one at 5K as well.

Any benefit to doing an early dump at 1500-2k and then again at 5k, and continuing on 5K after that? What do most of you do on your new German cars?

On our 23 Camry I just changed it at 5k the first time rather than an early change. I know I’ve heard Honda/Toyota generally don’t recommend early changes.

I’m sure either way is splitting hairs, and waiting until 5K is probably perfectly fine. I’m mostly curious on what others are doing on their new VW/Audi vehicles.

Happy Easter all!
I have done an interim oil and filter change on my daughters Q2 with the 1.5TFSi engine.

Using 508/509.

Service Interval in the UK is 2 years and I think 15k miles

So I did one at the 1 year point and the 3 year point.

Its going into Audi in a couple of months for its 2nd Service (4th year)

I just can’t get behind 2 year OCI even if the oil is very high quality.

I have done an interim oil and filter change on my daughters Q2 with the 1.5TFSi engine.

Using 508/509.

Service Interval in the UK is 2 years and I think 15k miles

So I did one at the 1 year point and the 3 year point.

Its going into Audi in a couple of months for its 2nd Service (4th year)

I just can’t get behind 2 year OCI even if the oil is very high quality.
How many miles (or kms) average in a year's time out of curiosity?

We have owned 3 VWs from new and I have never done anything beyond a normal 5-7K oil change for #1. My current Sportwagen is 5 years old with 100K miles and has the crap beaten out of it, 200hp/liter modified, tracked. Uses zero oil. 180psi across all 4 cylinders. First change was at 7K I believe.

We have owned 3 VWs from new and I have never done anything beyond a normal 5-7K oil change for #1. My current Sportwagen is 5 years old with 100K miles and has the crap beaten out of it, 200hp/liter modified, tracked. Uses zero oil. 180psi across all 4 cylinders. First change was at 7K I believe.
I honestly think these engines respond best being in boost on a regular basis. It's the only thing that could possibly reduce the chance of valve deposits.

FB_IMG_1710249698398.jpg

Ha. You guys are so foolish.

I’ll also say that I saw metal in the dipstick oil of a WRX. That one had decent metal in the pan at a 600/700 mile initial drain. What willfull ignorance is on display here. Amazing.

It’s clear you have limited real world experience, something I have suspected of some of the more vocal members here.

You should hit pause and learn something, sometimes.

Last edited:
Back