Early Oil Change on New VW EA888?

the closest regional supplier is LM ;)šŸ˜‚
in fact i think that LM has the most oils with vw approvals ,i would call LM a vw oil brand easily
Maybe in large parts of Mainland Europe, and certainly Germany.

But you struggle to find LM products in the UK, you have to go looking for them, usually buying online. (OpieOils of the LM Store on Amazon)

Castrol, Shell, Mobil and Petronas? You trip over them everywhere.

Valvoline, ELF or Gulf you sometimes come across at larger automotive relailers like EuroCarParts or GSF, but usually easier via OpieOils.

Total is available at some Halfords Stores.

I donā€™t include Retailers own oils (like TripleQX) as I would only use them if there was no other option on a long trip and needed a litre of top up.

Itā€™s not just European or American brands that can be hard to locate in the UK

Even other UK brands like Morris, Comma and Millers are hard to find.

Iā€™m in the dump it early and drive aggressively crowd. I also change the ATF before 20k miles.
I donā€™t see how getting rid of the manufacturing and break-in contaminants early is not a positive.

Also, most motorcycle manufacturers Iā€™m aware of, even the most pedestrian and not highly stressed models and I think even scooters have a 600 mile first OCI to this today. Clearly these guys are not aware of BITOG šŸ™„
Not sure why you would want to change ATF at under 20k miles.

Seems somewhat wasteful.

Environmental concerns are a fact of life.

And the large number of American vehicles being run for decades in places like Ghana would suggest changing oil too often is not overly relevant for longevity.

Because no Autotrans are having their fluid changed at 20k in Ghana.

Not sure why you would want to change ATF at under 20k miles.

Seems somewhat wasteful.

Environmental concerns are a fact of life.

And the large number of American vehicles being run for decades in places like Ghana would suggest changing oil too often is not overly relevant for longevity.

Because no Autotrans are having their fluid changed at 20k in Ghana.
Here is my reason. It has to do with the contamination from the manufacturing process as well as brand new clutch packs shedding a lot of the friction materials very early on, which tapers off drastically after their initial break in. Changing the ATF early gets rid of this very abrasive contamination.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3068967

Here is my reason. It has to do with the contamination from the manufacturing process as well as brand new clutch packs shedding a lot of the friction materials very early on, which tapers off drastically after their initial break in. Changing the ATF early gets rid of this very abrasive contamination.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3068967
Splitting hairs IMO since it all is caught by the filter and settles to the bottom of the pan or even caught by the magnet if installed.

Itā€™s always ā€œ letā€™s see the dataā€ and ā€œ without data you have nothingā€ . Especially handy to deploy when you are losing an argument.

Alert!

Prepare for BITOG heresy:

Data is not needed to make a decision that will be beneficial, likely correct or even the absolute correct decision from a choice of many. Is that a difficult concept to embrace in todayā€™s world?
I'm not feeding into this other than to say data is always needed to make a decision, any decision whether beneficial or not. It's present in every aspect of live.

I'm not feeding into this other than to say data is always needed to make a decision, any decision whether beneficial or not. It's present in every aspect of live.
And this is my point. ā€œData is always needed to make a decision, any decision.ā€ You stated this perfectly.

Some will see the foolishness ( and other things) of this view and some wonā€™t.

Last edited:
Back