driving a Uhaul truck and towing a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: datech
I was going to drive a truck and tow one car then go back and fill the pods and drive the other car. Now I might just drive a truck both times. It will save some fuel and wear on the vehicles which is something to consider on top of the cost per cu ft.

I must have missed this the first time around. I had thought you were doing a one-time move, towing your car with the U-haul.

Is there any way to fit everything on one truck, and have someone follow you with the second car? Also, are you loading/unloading yourself, or paying someone to do it? The thought of doing a cross-country move twice in a row would almost make me consider staying put!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Take it from someone who's done it. Last year I drove from Tampa to Maine for a friend. My ride was the biggest Uhaul we could rent, 26 or 28 foot box with a monstrous double axle car hauler.

one of the most tiring and strenuous drives I have ever done...

What's your recommendation here, then?

I recommend settling down! No more moving for us unless I'm dead!

Seriously, it was a grueling and very expensive move for my friend. He came to my house in tears after his other buddy backed out on driving the Uhaul at the last minute. I was the only guy who could drop everything and just leave, and he was a good neighbor...

Last edited:
I thought it was kinda fun driving a big truck. Moving boxes less so.

Back in college it seemed like I moved twice a year. Once out of college I moved a couple more times, helped a set of grandparents move, helped my parents move a couple of times. Now with all the debris that comes with settling down and having family... I in no way look forward to moving again!

I just moved...yeah, moving sucks. I don't mind driving a truck (honestly, I kind of enjoy it). Everything else bites.
frown.gif

With everyone saying that you can't back up with a Uhaul / car traier combo, I'm going to counter that. It's definitely possible, although it's not easy, requires a good bit of confidence (and ideally a spotter) and isn't exactly precise, so I wouldn't try to do it in a tight space.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
With everyone saying that you can't back up with a Uhaul / car traier combo, I'm going to counter that. It's definitely possible, although it's not easy, requires a good bit of confidence (and ideally a spotter) and isn't exactly precise, so I wouldn't try to do it in a tight space.

I was told you can't back up with the dolly, but you can with the trailer. I hope I don't have to back up, but what if I have to unhook and then hook back up?

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

I was told you can't back up with the dolly, but you can with the trailer. I hope I don't have to back up, but what if I have to unhook and then hook back up?

Just don't ever get into a situation where you need to back up or unhook the trailer. The interstate highway system makes this perfectly easy. I have made eight and nine state moves, and only had to back up once--because I got into the wrong place without thinking it out first. A real and generous truck driver happened along and got me out of that.

Pull over and scout a parking lot on foot it you have to, or whatever is required so that you know in advance that you can pull through. (I'm sure the trailers are easy to back up for somebody who has practice. The dollies are nearly impossible because the towed car pivots on the dolly axle.)

Dropping the trailer leaves you more open to theft, and hooking back up would be a real nightmare if you're doing this alone.

I have seen trailer locks.. to make sure somebody doesn't unhook the trailer and take it. Does U Haul have these... or should I get one?

I don't remember the dollies having any provision for a lock. They have a square knob that you screw down to tighten the hitch and that's it.

You could probably fasten one of the safety chains to the truck with a padlock to slow down the casual thief. Do get a padlock for the truck's cargo door.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I don't remember the dollies having any provision for a lock. They have a square knob that you screw down to tighten the hitch and that's it.

You could probably fasten one of the safety chains to the truck with a padlock to slow down the casual thief. Do get a padlock for the truck's cargo door.

Isn't there a place to put a padlock on the part of the hitch that locks onto the ball?

The one I saw at Walmart was this kind of chain thing that went around the hitch to lock it. Actually maybe it was to put on a trailer that is parked to keep someone from driving off with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back