driving a Uhaul truck and towing a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was 20 we rented the biggest uhaul in existence,was an international diesel.
I had to drive this truck from collingwood to Saskatoon,back to collingwood and back to Saskatoon again.
Truck was speed limited to 55 mph which means you basically put the pedal on the floor for the whole trip.
I've had 3 flats at different times with a uhaul,each time was no biggie. They send someone to fix it and your on the road again.
Yeah some of the trucks are junk however you are able to refuse to accept and pick another or rent from a different dealer.
I've driven countless uhaul runs across Canada. I'd rather have a gas version,at least they will wind out.

I did this years ago for my former BIL. It was a big Ryder box truck with a full car trailer with a 1990's Accord.

I drove from Las Vegas to the St Louis metro area. I looked for Cracker Barrels for eating and hotels that welcomed trucks and/or one next door to the CB.

As others have said, mind your clearances.

I also left at 3am and drove until about noon to 3 pm each day, timing my arrival in metro areas to avoid rush hours.

Today with Google Maps and Satellite images, you can scout out your stops and have a feel for what is on the ground before you even leave.

I wouldn't sweat towing the car. After a few miles you'll be wondering what the big deal was. Just allow plenty of turning clearance, especially during fuel stops, etc. Take your time, allow plenty of following distance and watch those mirrors.

When I helped my parents move we used a pair of 26' Budgets. Diesel, automatic, slow. No cruise so on the hills I would switch feet, as loaded up it was basically full throttle on any sort of incline.

But dirt simple. Just vastly larger than anything I'd driven before. Nearly ran over a few things, as they do swing much wider than a car. After a close call or two I "learned" the size and all went well.

Oh, only had an AM/FM radio. That got old quick. Being from New England I couldn't handle the change in programming, and drove mostly with it off. [Which I mostly do up here too. But more so on this trip.]

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Worst vehicle I ever drove was a 1991 Vandura 3500 box van. What made it bad was that it really couldn't get out of its own way. Handled fine, I just wondered if it would make it up some hills, but it always did. They aren't going to give you a 1991 Vandura 3500, even Uhaul has sold those off, so you will get something pretty drivable and they probably put plenty of mirrors on it.

We had a mid 80s Ford truck with a 6.9 and 3 speed automatic. Even empty it would take 10 or 15 seconds before it would get moving. The engine would rev up and the torque converter would eventually start transmitting power.

We had it loaded and I remember trying to take off from a stop sign up a hill. I think my mother had to hold the accelerator to the floor for a minute or two before it started moving.

Originally Posted By: datech
I decided to go with U Haul even though Penske and Budget might have better deals because of the low loading deck height.
What's the height difference on the loading decks?
If I needed to 'unload' the car temporarily, maybe unhook it from the truck, whatever, how hard is that? Would I drive the car off the trailer first? I will probably be using the trailer not the dolly, as I understand you can't back up at all with the dolly.
No issue at least with the trailer.
---
As others already said, just scout out places in advance, plan driving times as appropiate. If you're nervous, just look for a good location to pull thru and you're set. I worked at a rental place. My first week, we needed a truck 2 hours away and they asked me if I wanted to make some overtime. I ended up driving a 26 footer with my bosses car on the back so I could get back.
smile.gif
You'll get used to it quickly.

I guess the things I am most worried about are getting gas, food and motels. Just cruising down the interstate should be ok.

I decided to go with U Haul even though Penske and Budget might have better deals because of the low loading deck height.

I know some gas stations have a canopy overhead.

I have been checking on gasbuddy, 10 mpg and a HUGE tank will cost me a lot for each fill up. I don't know if I want to wander around trying to find a better price on gas, though, considering what I am driving.

If I needed to 'unload' the car temporarily, maybe unhook it from the truck, whatever, how hard is that? Would I drive the car off the trailer first? I will probably be using the trailer not the dolly, as I understand you can't back up at all with the dolly.

I made two long moves, 4 and 6 days, with gas U-hauls, and a 2-day move with a 24' Budget diesel. I towed a Saturn with a dolly each time. The first U-haul was either a 14' or 17' and the second was a 17', both pretty new. Uhaul 2 had a Ford V-10 and the Budget had a Chevy Duramax. They all had similar "power" and got between 7 and 10 mpg.

The only real problems I had were with tires. The first U-haul started bucking at highway speed at the end of day one. I found a place in Kimball, NE, that replaced the chopping tire on day two. They had a contract with U-haul, so it didn't cost me. By the end of day four, the same problem was coming back, so it must have been a front end issue. On the second move, during a stop, I noticed one of the dolly tires starting to look bad. I was near a bigger city and took it to a U-haul center to have it changed.

The one jackpot I got into was at a motel in Joliet, where I got into the parking lot without realizing I couldn't drive around the building to get out. A real truck driver walking back from supper took pity and backed it out for me. The dollies do not back easily. Full trailers are probably easier, but I would suggest never getting into a situation where you need to back up.

That should be pretty easily on the interstates. Just stop at bigger truckstop-type places for gas, so there's plenty of room to get to the pump and park. If you're not sure about a hotel, park on the street first to see if you can get in and out. I never had trouble finding a place to park the rig, usually parallel to a curb somewhere near the back. I also had a vehicle following me, so they could park in front of the truck to prevent getting parked in.

If you had to unload the car to drive it, you would do that with the trailer attached. Unless you're going to visit a national park or something, there's probably not much reason. I would avoid ever having to unhook the trailer, even more so it you're traveling alone.

The clearance height will be clearly marked in the cab and on the truck. I don't think you'll have to worry about canopy height at any station you can actually get into with the truck, though. Also note that some credit cards will stop the pump at a certain dollar amount, like $75, which is far from full on a 40-gallon tank.

Every time you stop, check and inspect all the tires. (On the towed car, too, if you use a dolly. I had a low tire on the rear of the car once.) Also check the hitch and the car tie-downs. Those are usually ratchet straps of some kind.

Before you pay for U-haul's insurance, check your own insurance. I found out that my auto plan would cover a single-axle moving truck (but not the trailer) and my renter's policy would cover my belongings for a certain amount of time after the move.

Finally, before you pick up the truck, check it over closely. Check the tires for damage, uneven wear, nails, bolt heads, etc. You might even check under the hood to make sure there's washer fluid and proper oil levels. Also bring a lock for the cargo door, to slow down potential thieves.

Considering your experience, it doesn't sound like you'll have any problems. Just remember to make wide turns, don't get in a hurry, and realize you have a lot behind you when changing lanes. I would also pack some food in a cooler. That way you aren't stuck getting off the highway when you're hungry and can just eat at a rest area. There are some filthy fast food places out along the American road.

I pulled the Jeep on a trailer behind one of the 17' Uhauls (06 E-450 EL chassis with a V10). IIRC, I got about 9 mpg doing 60 - 65 on the highway, towed the 6300 lbs of Jeep + trailer like it wasn't even back there.

it does not matter what size you get, it will tow you vehicle fine.

MAKE sure you get a newest truck they have or insist on a new one, tell them you don't feel safe in an old one.

most of the old ones have worn frontends and will be bear to drive not mention unsafe.

I prefer a gasser as it will be simpler to refill.

I guess the worse scenario I am worried about would be getting gas and then not being able to get thru and having to unhook the car or something to deal with it, and then having to hook the car back up.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
First, get a diesel fueled truck...

The OP wanted a U-Haul. I think all their trucks that DON'T require a CDL are gasoline powered. I assume they are protecting themselves from the uninformed driver from putting gasoline in a diesel-powered truck.
If he wants a diesel, he'll probably have to go with a different moving truck, like Ryder or Penske, but correct me if I'm wrong.

U-Haul's entire fleet is gas now...probably for just that reason!

I guess the worse scenario I am worried about would be getting gas and then not being able to get thru and having to unhook the car or something to deal with it, and then having to hook the car back up.

Look for truck stops, then. If you hit a Flying J, I suggest the "RV" lanes...basically, it's like the semi-truck lanes, but with gas. (Please don't be "the guy" who parks at the pump to get lunch!)

Note: the 14', 17', and 20' trucks are ALL on the same chassis. (Ford E-450, gas V10.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Look for truck stops, then. If you hit a Flying J, I suggest the "RV" lanes...basically, it's like the semi-truck lanes, but with gas. (Please don't be "the guy" who parks at the pump to get lunch!)

Note: the 14', 17', and 20' trucks are ALL on the same chassis. (Ford E-450, gas V10.)

That sounds like good advice. I guess it would be like driving a big RV.

U Haul says on their web site they all get the same gas mileage, too. I guess the extra overhang would make the truck heavier, though (not to mention the extra cargo) so the MPG should go down with the bigger trucks. Still, better than having to make two trips.

The only gas station issue I had the whole trip was pulling into a gas station and fighting some lady who thought we could both fit in the same pump area. I kept moving fwd until she realized I had a trailer on the back and couldn't back up. She relented the spot and actually apologized to me when she got out of her truck. Other than that it was smooth sailing the whole trip.

I've done it several times, on 5hr moves. Not that difficult, just use your mirrors, and stay in the right lane when on a freeway.

Don't plan on backing up anywhere; so when stopping, plan ahead on where you pull in.

Rented a uhaul plus dolly exclusively to tow a car. Got some huge cube van with a GMC 454 and OD trans. Plenty of power. Rest of the truck was junk. CEL was on, and it was OBD-I so "something serious". Dash volts gauge showed 11 and it dipped 2 volts with the turn signal. Had a brand new "Uhaul brand" alternator connected with those crimp splice things. Steering was very loose; truck was registered in Arizona and didn't need inspection.

I made it where I was going and got 8 MPG.

The car tow dolley was top shelf though.

I couldn't see the car back there unless turning.

I stayed in the right lane on the interstate and yielded to everyone coming in on the on-ramps. I had all sorts of people tailgating me-- no problem, I slowed down some more. They are very hard to shake off!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

That sounds like good advice. I guess it would be like driving a big RV.

U Haul says on their web site they all get the same gas mileage, too. I guess the extra overhang would make the truck heavier, though (not to mention the extra cargo) so the MPG should go down with the bigger trucks. Still, better than having to make two trips.

The one time I drove a 14' E450, I noted that the short wheelbase and granite-stiff springs (9450lb REAR AXLE capacity!) makes for an oxcart-like ride. Due mostly to that, I'd go for the 17' or 20' truck. I would expect the big 26' truck to use MUCH more fuel...it's bigger, heavier, higher, and has a larger engine. (Even a diesel 26' truck does well to top 9MPG.)

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Get a Penske rental truck, they maintain their vehicles better, ie: engines and brakes plus have diesels. I rented one to move my apartment and couldn't have been happier.

A big +1! The u-haul trucks are usually beaters unless you are lucky enough to get a new one.

Might be about the same money to put the stuff on a ABF U Ship container, then just drive your regular car to the destination.

Less stress also.

This way the cargo is insured against theft or damage, and if anything goes wrong it is their fault, not yours.

Make life easy dude, who wants to drive a 50 foot truck anywhere unless you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back