Towing with a U-haul

Looking at the possibility of moving my dad’s 1947 Lincoln coupe from Arizona to Ohio. Dad’s had some health issues lately, and my sisters are thinking we may have to look at assisted living for mom and dad soon. My sisters and I agree we want to keep the car in the family and don’t want to see it junked or turned into a street rod.. He has a surge brake equipped tow bar for it, and I think I remember the steps to attach it. While my truck could tow it (car weighs 4300 pounds) the wife and I are thinking fly out, rent a U-haul, and we can more conveniently carry the couple crates of spare parts he has for it in the U-haul. I heard a rumor that U-haul only wants you towing U-haul equipment, but the car is too heavy for their car dolly.

Uhaul says you can get an auto transport trailer to haul it. I did Phoenix to Columbus, OH since I have no clue about true locations involved. Approx $3K or so. 7 days allowed for travel. The example also said the car dolly for $1200 or so was OK, too. I used my F350 as the tow vehicle to get this info.

Uhaul has an actual vehicle transport trailer you can rent which supposedly has over a 5,000lb capacity.

If you don't use their equipment and an accident happens you could potentially be held liable.

Uhaul has an actual vehicle transport trailer you can rent which supposedly has over a 5,000lb capacity.
Here is a picture of the U-Haul auto transporter in action.
PXL_20230530_193807011.jpg
PXL_20230530_190353071.jpg

A few other notes, a Penske 24 foot diesel truck running empty with their auto transporter is likely you cheapest and most performance overall option if going from AZ to oh. Next is, time of the month and month of the year is huge on the rates. Doing this move mid October with Penske is likely 70 percent cheaper than moving the first or last week of any summer month

In recent weeks I sold a car and the buyer rented a U-Haul flat car hauler and pulled it with his Nissan suv.

I have used a U-Haul truck and trailer combo in the past. With their stuff they want you to use the right size truck. Probably because they used to have those little Toyota “one ton” v6 trucks and whatnot.

I’d look into the cost of a hauler if you’re not interested in the trip for the sake of the trip…

Reactions: JTK

If you don't use their equipment and an accident happens you could potentially be held liable.
I just rented a u haul only auto transporter, which I have rented dozens of times.

There is a revised term in the u haul contract for auto transporter. If anything breaks, such as a tire failure on their transporter, you are responsible, even if the failure was caused by U-Haul and not you.

Checked uship.com ? Maybe just have someone else do it.
Isn't Uship that same company in that crazy reality show "Shipping wars" where the people really don't know what they're doing? I'd rather trust myself than those "professionals".. wow..

Uhaul has a lot of cool towing trailers.. They even have one that's custom for a motorcycle! I bet the car/vehicle trailer would work fine.

The auto transporter would be a good idea, except that it looks like it’s way too short for this car. I’m visiting them right now, and the car is 18.5’ long! Maybe that’s why dad always used the tow bar and flat towed it whenever we had to move. I still need to make sure it would fit in my garage, it’s gonna be a tight fit.

I've rented those Uhaul transport trailers twice. The trailers are good, but the trailer brakes did not work on either trailer I rented. I know a couple other people who have rented them and said the same thing about the trailer brakes not working, even with a properly functioning trailer brake controller. I wouldn't wanna use one of those trailers for anything more than a local tow myself.

^ Sad to hear about the brakes. The uhaul trailers are otherwise very nice, with lots of tie-down options, a nice low deck, and just the right length. When I sold my 66 Biscayne it fit just fine, and that car was 18' long.

The tow bar would chew up the Lincoln's tires and wheel bearings. Noone's asked yet, is this car in nice shape or just an emotional attachment?

........... I heard a rumor that U-haul only wants you towing U-haul equipment, but the car is too heavy for their car dolly.

I towed our 21' boat behind a 26' U-Haul diesel truck from Chicago to Western Arizona. Aside from having to add almost 3 gallons of coolant along the way, due to a bad radiator cap, it was uneventful.

This was a long time ago, and the truck was pretty much a POS. 4 years ago I rented a gas U-Haul 21' truck, and it was a very nice truck. It drove beautifully. But I only had to drive it 200 miles..... Not 2,000.

I’ve used the transporter trailer from U-haul a few times, the last time recovering a Crown Victoria from a dealer lot using my one ton Ford E350 van as the tow vehicle. Effortless trip, with no trouble pulling a big car like that (my nephew daily drives that recovered car nowadays). The Ford one ton vans are good tow vehicles. I cannot vouch for the E150 or E250 though. 😎

The only time I had an issue with a U-haul trailer like this is when I took a BMW 5 series 200 miles to the nearest dealer for service due to a no start, recall fix. The tire blew out 15 miles from home, but U-haul sent a guy out to swap the failed tire. I suspect the rental location gave me the oldest, most beat up trailer to get it out of their location and wash their hands of responsibility. I’m surprised to hear from @GON that they now pin stuff like that on you.

I don’t use their stuff any longer now that I own a car trailer.

I towed our 21' boat behind a 26' U-Haul diesel truck from Chicago to Western Arizona. Aside from having to add almost 3 gallons of coolant along the way, due to a bad radiator cap, it was uneventful.

This was a long time ago, and the truck was pretty much a POS. 4 years ago I rented a gas U-Haul 21' truck, and it was a very nice truck. It drove beautifully. But I only had to drive it 200 miles..... Not 2,000.
BillT,

I didn't know Uhaul rented diesel anything? I thought U Haul was a 100 percent gas fleet.

BillT,

I didn't know Uhaul rented diesel anything? I thought U Haul was a 100 percent gas fleet.
This was all the way back in 1991, when we made our initial move from Illinois to Arizona. Now I believe you are correct. They only rent gas trucks. It was not a turbocharged diesel engine either.

When we were traveling west on I-40, climbing up toward Flagstaff and through Ash Fork, (around 6,500 ft.), it wouldn't go over 35 MPH. It also was a bear to get started in the morning. The glow plugs weren't the best.

It was also a manual transmission. (5-Speed stick). The driving position while holding the steering wheel was horrible. My back was killing me after just a few hours behind the wheel.

But as I said, the 21' truck we rented 4 years ago was a beauty. A gas powered automatic with plenty of power. And power everything. Very comfortable to drive. And the fuel burn wasn't bad either. My F-150, 5.0 V-8 was just as bad.

Reactions: GON
Might want to research the wheel base on the car, those things were loooong and those u-haul trailers are short.

Might want to research the wheel base on the car, those things were loooong and those u-haul trailers are short.

I can confirm that a 1952 Chevy 4 door with a 115" wheelbase fits on one just fine, as I've used the U-Haul trailer several times, behind a 2017 Sierra Double Cab 4x4.

This should be a helpful diagram:
1686310623118.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back