driving a Uhaul truck and towing a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last U-haul I used was a 17' truck with running lights that didn't work and a left rear turn signal that was out. My girlfriend at the time let me know this halfway from my house. When I let them know about the lighting problems when I returned it, the guy shrugged like it's no big deal that it was not street legal. Check out the lights and tires before you leave, and make sure they have all the dents and scratches noted so they don't try to stick you with them.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Might be about the same money to put the stuff on a ABF U Ship container, then just drive your regular car to the destination.

Less stress also.

This way the cargo is insured against theft or damage, and if anything goes wrong it is their fault, not yours.

Make life easy dude, who wants to drive a 50 foot truck anywhere unless you have to.

I did get a quote from ABF and it might be reasonable but they are pretty limited to locations. U Haul has their 'pods' which I had been going to use but they really jacked up the price the last few weeks (*summer rates, I guess_).

I still would need to drive a truck to get my Kayak there, unless I want to try and get a roof carrier for my car but it is a long ways and the Kayak is a couple of feet longer than my car.

I am still considering all options, but it is looking like I will rent a pretty big truck. I have been thinking about making the destination U haul a little this city of the metro area so I can drop the car off, continue to drive the truck only to my final destination, then turn around to return the truck and drive my car from there. They allow enough mileage to do that (in my case) or I could rent a few extra miles. Then I wouldn't have to drag my car through to much city traffic.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Make life easy dude, who wants to drive a 50 foot truck anywhere unless you have to.

What chu' talkin about Willis?! That's half the adventure!!

I did this when I moved to Denver in '97. Enormous truck, or so it seemed to me, with my Oldsmobile behind. The truck was limited to 55, so every day was a very very long day. The truck was noisy, but comfortable overall. And as someone said, you can't back up, so when you pull in someplace you've got to be able to pull back out.

My theme song (with apologies to Dave Dudley) was "Three Days on the Road, and I'm Gonna Make Denver Tonight!"

My dad just did this with a 2012 Ford 14 footer with the gas V10. Towing his cruze, 500 miles from New York to Ohio. It did just fine on power, worst part according to him was, lack of cruise control. It was also not governed and easily did the 72mph piece, my mom set in the other car

I've been computing the costs per cu ft to move. They jacked up the prices of the 'pods'.

The cost to drive a truck are quite a bit lower than the cubes, but there is some convenience to consider.

I was going to drive a truck and tow one car then go back and fill the pods and drive the other car. Now I might just drive a truck both times. It will save some fuel and wear on the vehicles which is something to consider on top of the cost per cu ft.

Contact a moving company for a quote. I was all ready to do the U-haul thing when a friend suggested a quote from a mover. It turned out to be the same cost as the diy option and they packed unusual items, loaded, and unloaded the truck.

If you have a partial load(sounds like it), can give them enough advance notice of the pick up, and can accept a three day delivery window, the price might surprise you.

Ed

Originally Posted By: datech
I've been computing the costs per cu ft to move. They jacked up the prices of the 'pods'.

The cost to drive a truck are quite a bit lower than the cubes, but there is some convenience to consider.

I was going to drive a truck and tow one car then go back and fill the pods and drive the other car. Now I might just drive a truck both times. It will save some fuel and wear on the vehicles which is something to consider on top of the cost per cu ft.

IIRC Uhaul gives you a limited number of miles. I could be wrong, but just make sure before you go to return and get charged 2X the original cost or more if it's a per mile charge.

With other places, you may be able to pull it off in the allotted time window given (I know some people that got a 6 day window and ended up doing the trip twice, trading off drivers, etc.).

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Originally Posted By: datech

IIRC Uhaul gives you a limited number of miles. I could be wrong, but just make sure before you go to return and get charged 2X the original cost or more if it's a per mile charge.

With other places, you may be able to pull it off in the allotted time window given (I know some people that got a 6 day window and ended up doing the trip twice, trading off drivers, etc.).

Well, what I mean is I would drive and tow one car, fly back, drive and tow the other. It would cost a fortune in gas otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
My dad just did this with a 2012 Ford 14 footer with the gas V10. Towing his cruze, 500 miles from New York to Ohio. It did just fine on power, worst part according to him was, lack of cruise control. It was also not governed and easily did the 72mph piece, my mom set in the other car

The Ford V10 seems to be common on most of the trucks, save maybe the biggest 26ft.

They are not priced too far apart. The 26 ft can haul 4 x what the 10 ft can for only about 25% more. It might use a bit more gas but it would be worth it for what it can haul. I just don't know about a 34 ft long truck with another 20 ft behind (car on trailer). And it wouldn't be that practical to drive just the truck, or that's what I'd do. So I'm thinking maybe drive a 14/17 ft two times, and tow a car each time, which would save a bit of time and the cost of the trailer is offset by the lower fuel cost of not driving the car, not to mention the lower motel costs.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
First, get a diesel fueled truck...

The OP wanted a U-Haul. I think all their trucks that DON'T require a CDL are gasoline powered. I assume they are protecting themselves from the uninformed driver from putting gasoline in a diesel-powered truck.
If he wants a diesel, he'll probably have to go with a different moving truck, like Ryder or Penske, but correct me if I'm wrong.

My dad did rent a U-Haul with a diesel engine, but that was in the year 2002, and he only operated it in Florida. I don't know if Florida requires a CDL for a vehicle of that size. The truck was so old it had an International IDI diesel.

Back in 2007, I needed to rent a truck, so I went to U-haul and the one they had for me was some kind of Ford with the 460 engine. I checked all fluids, and the transmission fluid was low. I actually had to argue with some of their employees so that someone would actually maintain their truck.

Take it from someone who's done it. Last year I drove from Tampa to Maine for a friend. My ride was the biggest Uhaul we could rent, 26 or 28 foot box with a monstrous double axle car hauler.

Just the car trailer weighed 3200 pounds! Had a 2006 Vette on it, and the truck was full of antiques and wood, construction stuff, tools, etc. VERY heavy!

Had to stop every 180 miles or so to refill with gas. Cost a fortune to fill and averaged about 7 mpg. Retread tire gave out in New York, they came out and fixed it, one of the most tiring and strenuous drives I have ever done...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Take it from someone who's done it. Last year I drove from Tampa to Maine for a friend. My ride was the biggest Uhaul we could rent, 26 or 28 foot box with a monstrous double axle car hauler.

one of the most tiring and strenuous drives I have ever done...

What's your recommendation here, then?

Op I hate uhaul they have the oldest trucks and their bear to drive. you're better off renting from Penske rent the newest truck u can , you can drive like a sports car
Worn suspension and worn frontend is the main contributor to driving strain.

We moved ten years ago from Virginia to North Carolina, and I rented a 26' Penske truck and towed my '95 Nissan on a twin-axle trailer, also rented from them. It drove just fine. A few years ago, I helped my wife's brother move from Virginia up to Pittsburgh and we rented a similar 26' Penske truck (no trailer this time) and it, too, drove just fine. We drove through the mountains of West Virginia, and yeah, it was slow. It'd slow to about 45 mph on the longer hills on US-19 and I-77. But it worked. I could drove one of those Penske trucks all day; the cabs are comfortable, the ride is decent...it was kind of fun.

Both trucks were International chassis cabs had the Navistar DT 466 diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back