Drive Thru - Fast Food Rant

Using the drive through? don’t ask Joe Pesci for his opinion.

Rarely use them, getting old enough that I usually need to go inside anyhow. Last time we “needed” to stop for food while on the road, I argued to stop at a plaza and go into a grocery store that might have sandwiches, maybe a buffet, or at the least… food. I won and I think we were happier. Food probably was no better (we grabbed meals) but I was able to find the seltzer that I like (instead of soda).

Chrysler minivan? all the people at my church who drive those have 4+ kids, usually under 8 years old. i came from a family like that. you do not want to bring your screaming 2yo into the restaurant and then drag them back to the car so you go through the drive thru.

I suppose your system involving berating strangers and embarrassing your wife in public is easier than paying with debit card.
I didn't view his post as "berating strangers". He clearly was in his right to receive his correct change and there were two parties involved in the transactions. At that point, to avoid not getting his correct change, he just asked what was due to him. Perfectly acceptable. As for embarrassing his wife? That's debatable. Perhaps she just wants to be like everyone else and accept the status quo. Sorry... but in my opinion, he's right. You shouldn't be manning a cash/financial transaction with basic math skills. We need more guys like him.

I didn't view his post as "berating strangers". He clearly was in his right to receive his correct change and there were two parties involved in the transactions. At that point, to avoid not getting his correct change, he just asked what was due to him. Perfectly acceptable. As for embarrassing his wife? That's debatable. Perhaps she just wants to be like everyone else and accept the status quo. Sorry... but in my opinion, he's right. You shouldn't be manning a cash/financial transaction with basic math skills. We need more guys like him.
If your wife doesn’t wanna be associated with you while you’re doing it, you’re probably not in the right. His wife was embarrassed to be around him and she absolutely should be.

Younger generations have had calculators, tablets, phones, and computers to help them with basic functions (like math) since they were children. And 99 people out of 100 use apps or cards to pay. Aren’t the cashiers just products of their history like “Gimme My Change” guy?

Nobody is forcing him to eat there and deal with these people. In my opinion, I’m glad they aren’t more like him. I say shame on him for his behavior.

I suppose your system involving berating strangers and embarrassing your wife in public is easier than paying with debit card.
Really? I'm "berating strangers" because young adults can't perform elementary school math?? Making change is part of their JOB. Usually, when I'm eating out at a "fast food" place it is because I'm traveling for work (and it is paid travel, with allowances for meals). I personally have a preference for cash, which is untraceable and quite frankly, sir, it is none of the banks, governments, or your business how, when, or where I spend my cash.
Perhaps my bank balance (access to my checking account) is large enough I'd prefer to keep that card securely in my pocket when in a strange town and conducting very small business. I have been a victim of identity theft no less than 5 times; the 1st time very close to 9/11/01 and $17K worth of 1st class airline tickets in Istanbul Turkey. That was a rough morning; opening my mail, I called 911, asked to be connected to the FBI, when I got an "agent" on the phone and he asked "How can I help you?" My immediate response was "Sir, I'd like to report possible terrorist travel charges on my credit card." There is much more to that story, but I've posted enough.
The third time someone made a $50K down payment on a house using my stolen credit card info.
I now have life lock but I'm still cautious about where I whip my cards out.
I haven't tried to tell you when or where to use YOUR debit card, and quite frankly, sir, I'm shocked that you would be so presumptuously petty as to "advise me" when it is appropriate.

The wife and I have been married for 17 years and she didn't realize I don't do drive thru's.. can't stand them. And that's why. She really should of went in for large of order. Drive thrus should be for quick in and out orders IMO.
Well I just learned the other day at Taco Bell if somebody in front of you orders of $400 order and you're behind it with one taco and a Coke you're stuck in line waiting. I'm not a big fan of the Sonic drive-thru restaurant but often I've seen them walk out to the car behind the one that's paying because they have one or two drinks and they can get them out of the drive-thru line which I think is a good system unfortunately it might be too good for the stupidity of the workers at Taco Bell to comprehend. I think going through the drive-thru for anything more than 15 or $20 worth of food constitutes either going inside or making previous arrangements with the manager on how to pick it up.

Really? I'm "berating strangers" because young adults can't perform elementary school math?? Making change is part of their JOB. Usually, when I'm eating out at a "fast food" place it is because I'm traveling for work (and it is paid travel, with allowances for meals). I personally have a preference for cash, which is untraceable and quite frankly, sir, it is none of the banks, governments, or your business how, when, or where I spend my cash.
Perhaps my bank balance (access to my checking account) is large enough I'd prefer to keep that card securely in my pocket when in a strange town and conducting very small business. I have been a victim of identity theft no less than 5 times; the 1st time very close to 9/11/01 and $17K worth of 1st class airline tickets in Istanbul Turkey. That was a rough morning; opening my mail, I called 911, asked to be connected to the FBI, when I got an "agent" on the phone and he asked "How can I help you?" My immediate response was "Sir, I'd like to report possible terrorist travel charges on my credit card." There is much more to that story, but I've posted enough.
The third time someone made a $50K down payment on a house using my stolen credit card info.
I now have life lock but I'm still cautious about where I whip my cards out.
I haven't tried to tell you when or where to use YOUR debit card, and quite frankly, sir, I'm shocked that you would be so presumptuously petty as to "advise me" when it is appropriate.
If you don’t want people in your business, then why are you posting it on the Internet?

If you don’t want people in your business, then why are you posting it on the Internet?
YOU aren't people. You are an individual, just like me, er, NOT like me, but still, there are 7+ BILLION people on the face of this earth that God made, and NO ONE else has your DNA. In 4 pages of posts, you are the only individual who chose to get snarky with me; and I still haven't posted anything specific. No names of towns, cards, businesses or people or really anything specific, except the fact that I have a debit card, which I never even said, you just assumed. It's all just general human interest stuff, and I'm obviously not the only one who is disgusted and offended when ignorant young adults are publicly incapable of performing oral math that a 6th grader should handle easily. Don't expect me or anyone else in public to take kindly to someone displaying an attitude toward you as if you are not to be trusted.
For now, you don't even know my name nor I yours, and that's probably a good thing. The weather is pleasant and I'm now going to have a good weekend. I hope you do also sir.

YOU aren't people. You are an individual, just like me, er, NOT like me, but still, there are 7+ BILLION people on the face of this earth that God made, and NO ONE else has your DNA. In 4 pages of posts, you are the only individual who chose to get snarky with me; and I still haven't posted anything specific. No names of towns, cards, businesses or people or really anything specific, except the fact that I have a debit card, which I never even said, you just assumed. It's all just general human interest stuff, and I'm obviously not the only one who is disgusted and offended when ignorant young adults are publicly incapable of performing oral math that a 6th grader should handle easily. Don't expect me or anyone else in public to take kindly to someone displaying an attitude toward you as if you are not to be trusted.
For now, you don't even know my name nor I yours, and that's probably a good thing. The weather is pleasant and I'm now going to have a good weekend. I hope you do also sir.
I absolutely did call you out. I called it exactly the way I saw it. Don’t care how many people agree or disagree with me.

If you saw someone acting the way you described towards your adult child or grandchild would you stand for it? You’d sit there and let it happen? If so, then Vaya Con Dios. I know I would not. Therefore I wouldn’t act that way towards someone else. But that is me.

Sounds like we agree on one thing - glad we don’t know each other.

Wow... who would have thought there are so many opinions on this topic?? In my observation, this just shows how compartmentalized and chaotic life has become.
Back in my youth, "eating" was done around the dinner/kitchen table and usually with everyone in the family (without phones) talking with each other. Sure, there were "Drive-Ins" but nothing like the fast food conglomerates we have today. I didn't experience all this "stay in your car" type transactions growing up. We actually got out of our vehicles, walked-in, and spoke directly to people. And... at a slower pace!

It's sad what the times have produced - Cars twenty-thirty deep burning gas, waiting to get a burger and fries. People on their phones all the time being absorbed with the latest facebook/Instagram/YouTube postings. In their air conditioned car "cocoons". Waiting....waiting..... And all for an expensive meal that often leaves them disappointed and unsatisfied. I'm not so sure this is "progress".

As for the idea that you can can "educate" the youth cashier behind the counter by asking them a math question... well... it won't work. They and their employers just tell them to look at the screen and keep the line moving. That's it. Their is no education involved and these "order takers" have no vested interest in thinking that hard. Shoot...they can't even remember what you ordered two minutes ago, much less give correct change. Not all.... but I've seen it too many times.

As for just handing someone your credit card or phone to scan without even mentally processing the whole transaction itself, well that's not good either. Allowing the payment to happen just by handing someone your phone and never thinking about it is super convenient. But... What does that say about the event in general... "Oh... I'll check my statement later....I'm too busy to deal with it now..." Fast Food...Fast Life... Deal with the downside.........."Later".

Anyhow.... There's got to be some middle ground here. I just think people need to connect better and slow down. Not saying drive-thru's should be slow... just would like to see these fast food corporations do more that shove high priced food out of a window and effectively create a "human assembly line". Next!

Another fast food rant..........

Chrysler Pacifica van pulls in and proceeds to order most of the menu items for a solid 4-5 minutes. I heard, "would that be all for your order today mam?" probably about 5 times. Keep in mind once you enter the drive thru there is a large curb so leaving your place in line and abandoning your order is not possible.

I ordered my 3 items and then waited for the kitchen to prepare everything on the menu and feed it out the window into the van in front of me. When I pulled in there was 4 cars in line behind me and when I finally got my food there was more than 10 cars in line wrapping around the building.

After she got her bags of food, she pulled back into a parking spot to eat it.

Thoughts?
I didn't read the entire thread because I'm sure there are plenty of "sit down and shut up grandpa" comments.

I just wanted to ask, did anyone firmly establish if AM was in the back seat or not?

Back in my youth, "eating" was done around the dinner/kitchen table and usually with everyone in the family (without phones) talking with each other. Sure, there were "Drive-Ins" but nothing like the fast food conglomerates we have today. I didn't experience all this "stay in your car" type transactions growing up. We actually got out of our vehicles, walked-in, and spoke directly to people. And... at a slower pace!

We as a family would go to a drive in maybe two or three times a year. It was a big treat. Back then we stayed in the car and the car hop served us. The food was placed on the window tray.

A simple cheeseburger fried on a flattop, french fries cooked in beef tallow and a chocolate malted washed it all down. It was better food and probably healthier than today’s processed fast food.

We as a family would go to a drive in maybe two or three times a year. It was a big treat. Back then we stayed in the car and the car hop served us. The food was placed on the window tray.

A simple cheeseburger fried on a flattop, french fries cooked in beef tallow and a chocolate malted washed it all down. It was better food and probably healthier than today’s processed fast food.
That's what I'm talking about! It WAS a BIG TREAT!! Not a staple food source. I remember how my dad would take me to the hardware store on a Saturday to get supplies... (No, not some big box chain megalith store...) Just some Lil' place down rt # 42 and we'd walk the isles looking at the different hardware. He'd explain to me.. (Maybe 8 years old at the time..) what all these different parts did. Afterwards... we'd drive home..... One day, he pulled into the local "Soft Serve" and I thought I'd gone to heaven. "Order what you'd like son." he'd say. "This is a treat." I'll never forget those days. He'd take me there every once in awhile. We never made a habit of it. Great memories.

This forum was such a better place when guys could buy beaters for $2,500.00 and talk about how they are going to get 300,000 miles out of them........

Local Panda Express is quick and so is our local Jack in the Box, Foster Freeze is slow.

Back