Steak n Shakes new self serve model.....3 out of 10

Sorry to hear it's gone downhill. SnS was a family favorite when the kids were little. A nice break from McD's. The kitchen help always looked very sketchy though.

I used to love going to SnS. Now I don't. Wife and I went one time after they re-opened after Covid. Self Serve no thanks. No Bean Pot or jalapeno Crunch burger. Why go there.

They are called shoestring fries and a lot of people love them....
I love them. Just his post was unclear. Good crispy shoestring fries are the best.

That picture makes them look delicious.

Nothing worse that gross thick fries meant to be regular dimension fries.....until actual steak fries or jo-jos which if done right are fine.

Freddy's also serves up "shoestring" fries. Shoestring fries/ shoestring potatoes..... that is goooooooooood eating.

241355905_10161282843324992_2137676707421758337_n.jpg
1-shoestring-potatoes-61b-P8170061.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Better than Five Guys fries

I like Five Guys Fries, its just that there are usually too many of them even if you get small.

Haven't been to Steak and Shake in quite sometime, but they had servers last time i was in one. I doo find the self serve thing is regionally variable with other chains, was in a wendys in Iowa pretty much order yourself on kiosk. Taco Bell is usually SS, McDonald's also usually tries to push you to kiosk.

I like Five Guys Fries, its just that there are usually too many of them even if you get small.

Haven't been to Steak and Shake in quite sometime, but they had servers last time i was in one. I doo find the self serve thing is regionally variable with other chains, was in a wendys in Iowa pretty much order yourself on kiosk. Taco Bell is usually SS, McDonald's also usually tries to push you to kiosk.
Five Guys fries are good. Issue with Five Guys fries is they are often undercooked, and that is a very expensive fry to not have fully cooked.

They are usually blazing hot and if your burger is lukewarm just layer in some red hot fries and it warms the burger. Tastes pretty good too. Since the switchover to self seating and ordering the food is better overall. Pizza Hut has been closed here for several days due to lack of help.

Some really, really good fast food. Chain started in Kansas from a WWII vet.

Great hamburgers, great dogs, great fries, great cheese curls, great custard:
View attachment 174840View attachment 174841View attachment 174842View attachment 174843View attachment 174844View attachment 174845View attachment 174846
There is a Freddy's here in my 4 mile bubble. Been there twice. The service was slow and surly. The burgers were OK and up to temp. They were not crispy edged like pictured above. They really suffer from help issues as many places do. But I'd rather go to Steak N Shake right across the street for half the price. I don't see any real difference if your eating burgers, if your SnS is a good one. Freddy's still has a full menu here. YMMV and it is why there are so many places to eat.

Wish more restaurants were self service. Gladly save 15-20% in tips to pick up the food myself.
Where does it require you to tip 15-20%? A tip is earned… all they’re being paid for is to consummate some items from the kitchen to your table. If they don’t go above and beyond, why would you give them 1/6 of the cost of the food as an “atta-they”?

Where does it require you to tip 15-20%? A tip is earned… all they’re being paid for is to consummate some items from the kitchen to your table. If they don’t go above and beyond, why would you give them 1/6 of the cost of the food as an “atta-they”?
because of the sham labor policies our government has, where Tipped workers only have to be paid $2.13/hr... (Federal minimum, it varies by State, here in OH, it's half the Non-Tipped minimum, which is currently $10.10, so $5.05 for tipped workers. ) BTW, that $2.13/hr rate has been the same since the 90's...

that is if you actually care how your fellow man lives....

Last edited:
They and Friendly's are the two cheapest table service restaurants I've been in. SNS was way better. IDK how they were able to sell a double cheeseburger for $3.79 (2015 pricing) and half price milkshake for
I don't tip 18% for a meal ticket under $10 a person, that's super rude. I add a little "bell curve".

I've only seen this chain in lower cost-of-living areas. Their business model relies on cheap help.
I didn't know Friendly's still existed... the one here closed in the early 90's... even the building is long gone.
our Steak n' Shake Closed...2005?... sat empty until about 2 years ago, someone bought it, basically took it completely down and rebuilt it, now it's a Starbucks, just opened this spring.....

Back