Steak n Shakes new self serve model.....3 out of 10

There is much confusion on how the Self Serve model works at SnS.....
Since the owner, affectionately called, Big Liar pushed his self service model, covid helped expedite this plan. Remember they were a couple of millions from going bankrupt a few years ago, with huge pot holes 5 foot wide in the drive thru lane!

It is my opinion dealing with SnS, you get the best food INSIDE, and not though the drive thru. They also have killed most of the awesome menu items.... So now the menu is sparse.

Now if you are single, I would go though the drive thru. The inside is LONELY for one person to eat at a table. So the way it works is you walk in, order your food from a kiosk, and they call your name out when your food it ready at the pickup counter. Now there is some confusion, like do you leave your left over plastic trays at the tables, the condiment selection is poor, unlabeled and like they just ripped open the top of the box and put it on the counter, the SnS kids hats are laying in bulk in a cardboard box on one of the eating tables.

...and leaves plenty of questions like do I just leave my plastic tray and baskets on the table, or do I take them to the trash cabinet, do I still get free water while waiting on my food, as it was before when there was servers? Sometimes the milkshakes come in glass cups, sometimes foam cups, nothing is labeled and since it´s all self serve everyone does something different.

They made all these changes and yet have nobody to assist you on the new model. It´s just the kitchen staff and customers are left doing whatever they want. This was poorly executed. I can look at Fazoli's
They have you pull a number at the kiosk and they bring the food to your table. This works much better then finding a clean table, in a empty room and going back to get your food directly from the kitchen counter. Even Mcdonald´s brings your food to your table.

Since it´s a grill and fryer joint, grease on the floors is an issue, you can see a dark streak of years of grease 4ft wide that follows the path out the door and even onto the sidewalk. The floors need some serious scrubbin. Overall I want to love this place, but half my faves are no longer offered, and while the sandwiches are decent, there is a Freddy´s on the other side of the interstate.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Never been to one but sounds like poor execution of an okay idea, been to other places that have self service or semi-self service and pull it off. We hit a seafood place when on vacation regularly with a largish menu that is semi self service (no wait staff but you order from a human and go find a table), pick up your food when it is ready (they use the buzzers that the counter can page), ask for condiments at the counter if you need more than what is out. Bus you dishes when your done and a couple of staff sweeping up and wiping down tables. Sounds similar - ordering from a kiosk versus a human up front would not bother me.

Now if you are single, I would go though the drive thru. The inside is LONELY for one person to eat at a table.
Say what? Maybe a few sessions with a shrink are in order if you're afraid to eat by yourself. And if you are single and take the food home, isn't it still one person at the table?

S&S worked for them when i was in high school 1968. Liked running the grill where buns were toasted on the grill, cubes of hamburger were smashed thin fried to a crisp edge, burger and buns put on a board to get dressed. Table service, china , silverware, pepper sauce and condiments. Carhop service a place to cruise on Friday and Saturday nights. It's not the same they closed almost all of them in St. Louis area think out of a dozen stores two are left. They have been going down hill for probably 10 years but since covid their just about done.

Wish more restaurants were self service. Gladly save 15-20% in tips to pick up the food myself.
+1

I only eat at SS restaurants (when I have to), the whole tipping thing has gotten out of hand. I mean suggestions START at 18% and why do I need to tip at a take out coffee shop, where the counter is littered with these TIP buckets. Give me a break, just pour me a coffee, better yet, I'll make my own, it tastes better too.

They and Friendly's are the two cheapest table service restaurants I've been in. SNS was way better. IDK how they were able to sell a double cheeseburger for $3.79 (2015 pricing) and half price milkshake for
I don't tip 18% for a meal ticket under $10 a person, that's super rude. I add a little "bell curve".

I've only seen this chain in lower cost-of-living areas. Their business model relies on cheap help.

My wife was raised in Florida so she knew about Steak and Shake. I had no idea. We don't have em in NY. First time I was in Florida with her, she had me stop at S&S. I don't care for it. I've noticed there are fewer of them.

You mean amount or actual fry size?
Actual fry size. Though I recall the portion with the "meal" being small, as well.

They are very small. And off-puttingly so...
Free-Fries-At-Steak-‘n-Shake-For-A-Limited-Time-–-No-Purchase-Necessary.jpg

They are called shoestring fries and a lot of people love them....

NOW I know why they are so small!!!

Better than Five Guys fries MAYBE but. Still prefer a Wendy's or McDonalds or even an Arby's they have different kinds. Burger King loses the fry game 🍟

Back