DOT 3 in a honda?

I have a newer one and it seems like 2 years. Could be milage based as well, but I completed 4 years of ownership and it's asking me to do the second change.

Maybe it is now, on your newer car, but before they put brake fluid in the MM, it was 3 years regardless of mileage.

It could also be 2 years for Canada instead of 3 years for the US :unsure:

Shine a flashlight thru the reservoir - it may not be as dark as you think.

As long as you remove the screen from the reservoir and fully empty it before starting the flush, you can get it done with 1 qt (or less). If your mechanic uses a pneumatic/vacuum bleeder, I would insist that they follow up with a manual bleed - otherwise you will always get some amount of air in the system.
Yep, he's using vacuum bleed. I'll let him decide on that, he used to be a master honda tech. Retired and does work at home now.

Yep, he's using vacuum bleed. I'll let him decide on that, he used to be a master honda tech. Retired and does work at home now.
I had to use a pneumatic bleeder last month on a newer Honda.

I started this video after turning off the pneumatic bleeder; I did this to allow for gravity bleeding. Look at how much air comes out.

I followed up with a manual bleed afterwards, and there was still one large air pocket. This is why I avoid pneumatic bleeders whenever possible and use a pressure bleeder.

Well I shined a very bright light into he reservior and it appears the fluid is clear yellow and appears dark because of the screen. I still don't know when it was changed and know the car sat for 8 months before it was given to me so I'm going ahead with a flush.

Well I shined a very bright light into he reservior and it appears the fluid is clear yellow and appears dark because of the screen. I still don't know when it was changed and know the car sat for 8 months before it was given to me so I'm going ahead with a flush.
Never hurts to bleed brakes. I do all of our cars every other year. The old fluid comes out looking brand new, but that’s exactly what I want.

Scott

Every topic needs a voice of dissent, and I'll be that.

I never flush my brake fluid on some 3 yr or shorter schedule, and it has never caused any problems. I never use a special fluid, just whatever is cheapest or most convenient that meets the DOT spec per vehicle.

Disclaimer - things I don't do:

I don't drive like I stole the vehicle, or otherwise fleeing from police, nor do I find myself in road rage marathon events.

I don't track race, or ride my brakes.

I don't haul heavy loads down long mountain roads.

I don't reuse old, open bottles of brake fluid. If the bottle isn't used up on that brake job, the remainder is discarded.

Things I do, do:

Drive on winter roads that are heavily salted. My brake lines rust from the outside in, not the other way around. Maybe interior corrosion decreases the life of the brake line by a small %, but by that point, the exterior rust had long since been an indicator that the brakes needed serviced more than just pads and rotors.

Own vehicles long term, so we're not talking about getting rid of a vehicle so that lack of frequent fluid swaps becomes someone else's problem before the vehicle has many years on it.

Work on other peoples' vehicles, so while I can't claim to know all the nuances of everything out there, my sample size is larger than just my own.

Speaking of sample size, I'd wager that the vast majority of vehicles on the road do not have their fluid changed in 3 years or lower intervals, so the sample size is "the vast majority". Where are the bodies lying on the sides of roads, so thick that they need a bulldozer to clear them away at the same rate they are piling up? I'm kidding but that is about what would need to be done if aging brake fluid were a significant risk to the majority of society. Major cities would have hundreds of brake failure related wrecks every day, yet they do not.

I've not once, ever had brake fade from water in my brake fluid. I'm not stating "never flush your brake fluid", but rather, that unless you have severe duty, it has worked far better for me to only flush the fluid when some other work warrants that, or possibly every decade or so otherwise, or a bit more often if in the rust belt so you just want to crack the bleeders open often enough that they don't rust-seize shut, though personally I put a liberal blob of silicone paste around them as well as caps on, which helps reduce rust a lot... though you have to do this before it gets bad, not wait till after, or at least do it after the last time the bleeder came loose rather than waiting till it's seized in.

I have had to replace brake lines. I mean DIY, nobody else ever services my brakes. The exterior rust made it obvious that needed to be done. Interior rust through was just not a factor. If it makes you sleep better at night to flush your brake fluid, it is cheap and low labor in the grand scheme of things, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I sleep just fine without brake problems, doing it far less often than many think is important.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my experience:
I own 2008 Honda Accord elx-4 since new, 16 yrs in MN. Flush brake fluid every 2-3 yrs. Never have any problem with calipers.
I bought 2011 MDX in 2019, 13 yrs in MN. Brake fluid looked original when I bought it but flush afterward. Last Oct., right rear caliper frozen, piston rusted shut and useless. March 2024, left rear caliper dido to the right rear. I believe these failed calipers are due to fluid absorbed moisture and rusted out the pistons.

Maybe it is now, on your newer car, but before they put brake fluid in the MM, it was 3 years regardless of mileage.

It could also be 2 years for Canada instead of 3 years for the US :unsure:

It seems too maintenance intensive. I'm guessing it triggers every 30k miles or 3 years. I cover 30k every 2 years.

There are some Canada and US differences though. I dont believe the US gets maintenance code 9, which is brake disassembly, cleaning, lubing pins, etc.

For what it's worth, my experience:
I own 2008 Honda Accord elx-4 since new, 16 yrs in MN. Flush brake fluid every 2-3 yrs. Never have any problem with calipers.
I bought 2011 MDX in 2019, 13 yrs in MN. Brake fluid looked original when I bought it but flush afterward. Last Oct., right rear caliper frozen, piston rusted shut and useless. March 2024, left rear caliper dido to the right rear. I believe these failed calipers are due to fluid absorbed moisture and rusted out the pistons.
Could these rear brake rusted piston issues be the result of never using the parking brake?

Could these rear brake rusted piston issues be the result of never using the parking brake?
Could be. The rear parking brakes on the MDX uses brake shoes. On the other hand, I rarely use hand brake on the Accord.

Bosch ESI6 is all I use now, on a 3 year service interval.

I remember bleeding the 13 year old DOT3 brake fluid from someone's car and most of it came out black. The pedal feel was much more responsive with new fluid (no LV fluid at that time). Never understood people that were adamant on ignoring brake fluid. I have a relative that will pay someone to change their oil every 3 months, but at the same time proclaims "I'VE NEVER CHANGED MY BRAKE FLUID AND IT'S NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM." I think it says something when manufacturers specify a service interval for brake fluid while other fluids are deemed to be "lifetime"

Back