does anyone try 0w20 oil on BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
...then again none of these BMW's get real old cause after 150k it costs more to fix than purchase a new one.

I see plenty older BMW's still around. Like your baseless speculations, I suspect that Beemers may actually have their typical ticks like electrical issues solved by 150K...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
There was a guy here who used an ILSAC 0W-20 in his e36 328i during the winter in Canada.
I believe he was on Shannow's buddy list.
Since BMWs are not normally bought for their superior fuel efficiency, I'm not sure why you'd want to use a 0W-20 grade oil.
The reports of enhanced fuel economy using very light grades are greatly over-hyped. You could expect an improvement of maybe 1-2% as compared to a 0W-40 grade oil.
Although real, it would be barely noticeable in normal use. You might save .4-.8 gallons over each thousand miles.
I'd stick with the M1 0W-40 were it my BMW.

Yeah man, what you say's the truth. Many people with quite limited notion of mechanics, failing to understanding the basic principles of automotive lubrication tend to promote the use of overly thin viscosities (like 0W-20) with all their powers (and even agression!) without knowing that great part of all this thin oils ups-a-daysy have nothing to do with engine health and longevity. Indeed I'm sure that using an extra thin oil like 0W-20 would save you a quart in 5 000 miles which isn't a reason to get exited too much, but maybe the harm for your mechanics would be more noticeable. Anyway - tree huggers are everywhere - nothing to do.
P.S. A 0W-20 is absolutely incorrect viscosity for a 328 E36 - Shannow's buddy did wrong, so wrong that I even feel ridiculous talking about it.

Last edited:
...then again none of these BMW's get real old cause after 150k it costs more to fix than purchase a new one.

$40,000+ will buy a lot of repairs...

I see plenty of older BMW's around here. The body typically holds up better in the rust belt than the Japanese cars.

BMW engines are expensive though, so I would use what is recommended. I'd be interested to see how 0w20 holds up in turbo direct injection cars. We already know the 1.5T in the new Civic fills the crankcase with fuel.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: M52
Who the [censored] buys a BMW to drive it ''mildly'' all the time?

More to the point, who buys a new car and just hammers the throttle all the time?

Who buys a new car and drives it all the time?
lol.gif

Old people.

sounds like CAFE got to BMW USA, shame.

As things go they get everywhere, but cerrtainly USA seems most penalized

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I see plenty of older BMW's around here. The body typically holds up better in the rust belt than the Japanese cars.

BMW engines are expensive though, so I would use what is recommended. I'd be interested to see how 0w20 holds up in turbo direct injection cars. We already know the 1.5T in the new Civic fills the crankcase with fuel.

You know that a thin oil like 0W-20 used in a fuel saturating turbo direct injection car makes things even worse - who to fight with fuel dilution and how poor engines to deal with liquid sand paper instead of oil in their crankcase?

Originally Posted By: OhOMG
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Who the [censored] buys a BMW to drive it ''mildly'' all the time?

More to the point, who buys a new car and just hammers the throttle all the time?

Who buys a new car and drives it all the time?
lol.gif

Old people.

I have a feeling that an old man have shown you the colour of his tail pipe, and you could do nothing to remedy, so now you feel b.thurt?..

"I have a feeling that an old man have shown you the colour of his tail pipe, and you could do nothing to remedy, so now you feel b.thurt?.. "
If it is a DI, the color of his tailpipe is soot black
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

A new engine for my car is $20k. I am going to pick an oil that will protect that engine over saving 50 cents on fuel. Plus, I did not buy the car for its fuel economy, although it does get amazing fuel economy when highway cruising, I bought it to enjoy driving. I like to think that being on my forth set of rear tires in 62k km is a sign I am doing just that.
wink.gif

I feel smaller engines (4cyl) thrive on thinner oils. I tried 20W50 once in my gf's Probe when she had it because it used oil like it was going out of style. It ran like total [censored]. Was loud and sluggish. It's all about balance and a perfect medium. As thin as possible,as thick as necessary.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I feel smaller engines (4cyl) thrive on thinner oils. I tried 20W50 once in my gf's Probe when she had it because it used oil like it was going out of style. It ran like total [censored]. Was loud and sluggish. It's all about balance and a perfect medium. As thin as possible,as thick as necessary.

+1

Too much logic. The reality is you're not going to put 10w-60 in a 1.6 engine for "protection" if it runs like ****. All the smaller displacement cars I've had run better on 5w-20 or 5w-30 than any other grade I've used. I don't have to worry about an MPG hit if it's noticeably sluggish to begin with using thicker HTHS oil...IMO, the "always thicker" recommendations on here are analogous to putting on a set of expensive tires and finding that Tire Rack's recommendations or test results don't mean **** for your particular application.

It's unlikely I'd use 0w-20 in a standard BMW but that's not to say that they won't make a product where that would be an acceptable choice. As always, there are approvals and recommendations that just might be based on more than CAFE standards.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I bought it to enjoy driving. I like to think that being on my forth set of rear tires in 62k km is a sign I am doing just that.
wink.gif

Right.

Same with my Jeep. When I'm asked what it gets for mileage my response is usually "Not sure, probably around 17". The other benefits of owning it (towing, off-roading, snow, hauling stuff/people, etc) out weigh the mpg.

Did it run better on 0W-20? Should remember to pour some 0W-16 in my uncle's 30 years old oil burner - that would put things on their places surely...

Did it run better on 0W-20? Should remember to pour some 0W-16 in my uncle's 30 years old oil burner - that would put things on their places surely...

They didn't have 0W20 back then,so therefore that's not what I used,plus that's not what Ford spec'd for the Probe. Why would you put 0W16 in your Uncle's oil burner? Have you read the manual? What does the mfg spec? I guess you could always use 45W70.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Does anybody even make a 0W20 that meets the specs required for the car?

Yes, BMW. The 3 series have less than 250-hp engines, I mean, for [censored]'s sake....
61035.jpg

I would use the appropriate, recommended weight though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back