Does Anyone Have Healthcare Insurance Outside Of Work ?

Does anyone have Healthcare Insurance outside of work because you found it cheaper somewhere else ? One of my coworkers found the same insurance thru the same company on Marketplace for 1/3 of the cost from my employer .

Yes, it goes by income.
I guess with anything it can’t hurt to try if you qualify. There are many rules, but I don’t know how they are enforced.

I would look into it. But I think it goes by income yours could be different than his including your wife's income and # of dependents
He's comparing insurance prices between our employer and one advertised on Marketplace for him only . Same insurance company

You should be really careful if you plan on going self insured. When I started shopping for a plan on my own it was incredibly confusing and almost impossible to decipher the small print. Some states have people (here they call them navigators) to help you compare and figure out what plan you want or need free of charge.
If you plan on looking I recommend you find a navigator, it was very beneficial for me.
Good luck!!

Not to be negative, but this sure shows how absolutely crazy our healthcare system is... Feels like the insurance companies do everything they can to complicate things.
It's interesting to know though... I always thought employers got special "deals" for their employees. Perhaps I am wrong.

I have bought my own insurance in the past, but have not for a long time - on my wife's plan these days. My employer is too small to get any deal on any plans - I am the only employee in my state.

It is absolutely a tangled mess. You would need to figure out for you specifically - age has a lot (everything maybe?) to do with it. Its completely possible that a young person could get a better deal on insurance on the marketplace than a blended cost employer package - depending of course on how much of the coverage your employer pays.

Also, just because its the same insurer, its entirely possible the deductibles, etc are different - even if the plan name is the same.

I think you can only shop during open enrollment - unless you have an "event" like loosing your employer plan or whatever.

Not to be negative, but this sure shows how absolutely crazy our healthcare system is... Feels like the insurance companies do everything they can to complicate things.
It's interesting to know though... I always thought employers got special "deals" for their employees. Perhaps I am wrong.
I have an agent -he has been doing Health Care for over 20 years. I pickup the phone and call him-it's not complicated for me at all.

Does anyone have Healthcare Insurance outside of work because you found it cheaper somewhere else ? One of my coworkers found the same insurance thru the same company on Marketplace for 1/3 of the cost from my employer .
This is not the first time that I've heard of this. However, you need to be below certain income level to qualify or have a qualifying event.

Reactions: CKN
I now have ACA for me and the wife until I hit 65. Then Medicare for me and ACA for the wife. I have been happy with it for the year 14 months we have been on it. The cost of the gold plan for us both is less than $200 a month. I screwed up last year and ended up having to pay back $4000 of the $36000 that Uncle Sam provided. Be careful when you fill out the form. Adjusted/modified gross means everything you earned. It is designed for up to 400% of the poverty level of your bracket. For married filing together it is $80----something thousand dollars. You can still use it but the cost above that threshold are partially borne by you. On my company plan I was paying $1300 a month for us when I retired. The deductions and limits and max out of pocket are actually better with the Obamacare plan. There is a website that will lead you through all the steps and deem if you qualify. It will show you all the differing plans and their cost/deductible/max out of pocket etc. They start at Bronze for bare bones catastrophic at zero or low cost and go up from their as dictated by your locality. Don't foget, ALL your income in any form, even Social Security if it applies is Gross Income for the calculations. Good Luck!

I now have ACA for me and the wife until I hit 65. Then Medicare for me and ACA for the wife. I have been happy with it for the year 14 months we have been on it. The cost of the gold plan for us both is less than $200 a month. I screwed up last year and ended up having to pay back $4000 of the $36000 that Uncle Sam provided. Be careful when you fill out the form. Adjusted/modified gross means everything you earned. It is designed for up to 400% of the poverty level of your bracket. For married filing together it is $80----something thousand dollars. You can still use it but the cost above that threshold are partially borne by you. On my company plan I was paying $1300 a month for us when I retired. The deductions and limits and max out of pocket are actually better with the Obamacare plan. There is a website that will lead you through all the steps and deem if you qualify. It will show you all the differing plans and their cost/deductible/max out of pocket etc. They start at Bronze for bare bones catastrophic at zero or low cost and go up from their as dictated by your locality. Don't foget, ALL your income in any form, even Social Security if it applies is Gross Income for the calculations. Good Luck!
I retired at 55 years of age. I didn't qualify for subsidies. In 10 years I spent a better part of 30 grand on Health Insurance. I had assets to protect. I had no choice.

I retired at 55 years of age. I didn't qualify for subsidies. In 10 years I spent a better part of 30 grand on Health Insurance. I had assets to protect. I had no choice.
I'm good spending only $3000 a year on health insurance in retirement. That would be awesome.

Health INS can be like car ins. You see the commercials that say " Just pay for what you need". We'll in New jersey that means you pay for the bare minimum it takes for the state to issue you a license plate. It has the lowest amount of coverage you can have. It usually covers nothing. Health ins works the same way. If you opt for the lowest cost or "Free coverage", you'll have high co-pays, and doctors that are nowhere around where you live. Or find out, none of your favorite doctors accept the low cost ins. Check around before you signup with any of them.,,,

Some companies cannot afford to offer very good insurance due to the number of employees. It pays to shop around.
It’s a management or owner decision whether they use employees to pay themselves even more.

My sis in law does this with her and partner business cruddy health insurance and pay however makes incredible money where “high cost” to her is meaningless.

I worked for a Fortune 250 conglomerate. I found insurance for only slightly less cost than what was offered by the group insurance from the company. The main difference in the coverage was with the deductible. The group insurance had a huge deductible of over 17k at the time for my family.....which I considered at the time to be unreasonable.

I worked for a Fortune 250 conglomerate. I found insurance for only slightly less cost than what was offered by the group insurance from the company. The main difference in the coverage was with the deductible. The group insurance had a huge deductible of over 17k at the time for my family.....which I considered at the time to be unreasonable.
That is where you negotiate higher pay to offset the deductible . My wife’s pay is not as high at her hospital, however we pay very little for her work health insurance and they have $0 deductible in network of hospital drs.

I lol when people make $200k+ and complain about their deductibles. I get the hurt though below at lower middle class income

@ Andrew J......Your wife sounds like she has a good plan.....I am happy for you and her, but you can't eat the lower deductible. My point in my post was that the average person would think that working for a large corporation like I mentioned would result in decent or good health insurance. It was just the opposite from my experience.

Maybe some amount of "deals". But I suspect many (at least at your higher paying employers) plans are subsidized quite a bit by the employer. Part of the benefits.

Back