Dental Insurance - RANT

Medicare will implode one of these days. My wife has a very unique muscle disease. Her Doctor ordered a whole battery of blood work. It came out to like $300.00 or $400.00. The Advantage plan paid $38.00-they adjusted everything else down to ZERO for the hospital.
She paid zero-the hospital took it in the shorts. There needs to be a middle ground or else we will turn in to a third world medical system.
The pricing structure is mostly the same for all insurance, including corporate employee plans. The retail price is vastly different from the agreed-upon contract price for all goods and services delivered by the medical industry.

The doctors, hospitals and medical community are not required to accept those payments so if there was no money in it for them, they would not.
They want the patients and they do make money off of them or they would not accept it.

With advantage C plans the insurance companies have a contract of services and associated costs to treat a patient for everything. If a specific medical group or hospital does not want to accept those payments in terms, they simply can opt out.

I do agree with you I find it staggering that even for myself the retail cost of my treatment two years ago was 133,000 and my advantage agreed-upon price to pay the doctors and hospital totaled less than 30,000.
Yeah, much of this is the same in the private sector too and why employee plans require you to stay in network because they have contracted prices for services and if you go outside of the network, you will be responsible for the difference.

You really are screwed if you have no insurance because they will come after you for the full retail cost, but you can imagine how they will possibly negotiate and accept a lower price, but certainly not as low as the insurance companies and those costs can bankrupt you if they even agree to treat you without insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
The pricing structure is mostly the same for all insurance, including corporate employee plans. The retail price is vastly different from the agreed-upon contract price for all goods and services delivered by the medical industry.

The doctors, hospitals and medical community are not required to accept those payments so if there was no money in it for them, they would not.
They want the patients and they do make money off of them or they would not accept it.

With advantage C plans the insurance companies have a contract of services and associated costs to treat a patient for everything. If a specific medical group or hospital does not want to accept those payments in terms, they simply can opt out.

I do agree with you I find it staggering that even for myself the retail cost of my treatment two years ago was 133,000 and my advantage agreed-upon price to pay the doctors and hospital totaled less than 30,000.
Yeah, much of this is the same in the private sector too and why employee plans require you to stay in network because they have contracted prices for services and if you go outside of the network, you will be responsible for the difference.

You really are screwed if you have no insurance because they will come after you for the full retail cost, but you can imagine how they will possibly negotiate and accept a lower price, but certainly not as low as the insurance companies and those costs can bankrupt you if they even agree to treat you without insurance.
This left 32,000 people scrambling for healthcare

This left 32,000 people scrambling for healthcare
You must understand, this is the media making a non issue sound urgent and seems like you took the bait.
There is NO SCRAMBLING (not yelling *LOL*) You switch plans with the click of your mouse and why I LOVE Advantage C.

In fact I just did it, Medicare is a great system. I shop the best plan for me every year so this year after having United Health Care for the last 2 years, (maybe 3?) I just switched to a Aetna Plan.
Do you know how easy it is? No, because the press doesnt tell you.

Let me first say if your not computer literate and dont do anything online, all it takes is one phone call and you are done.

I do everything on line so, here were the steps.
1. Knowing the time to switch is Nov/Dec I was shopping for quite some time
2. Pick a new plan, decided with hesitation to leave my much love UHC Advantage C plan and go with Aetna for even more money in my pocket.
3. Log onto my medicare.gov account, chose my new plan and company, click and I am done, enrolled for the new year. Absolutely nothing else to do, not one piece of paperwork. medicare.gov has all your information and they handle it all.

Actually your "news" story is what I love about Advantage C plans, they are one year contracts, that is all. Every year even if your company still has the same plan I can switch at that time of year for anyone who offers more. Its no different then shopping for any product, competition rules but even more so, as medicare.gov takes care of everything and since these companies want your business, they compete with incredible options. I pick the options that work best for me.

Im glad you brought up that article, hopefully I helped explain what a great system we have in the USA> I do give credit where credit is due and if there is a government program that is the pinnacle of efficiency medicare.gov works well.
You are NEVER scrambling for ANYTHING, click and you're done, they have all your information because you are under medicare, medicare pays your premiums. If you cant click, call.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
You must understand, this is the media making a non issue sound urgent and seems like you took the bait.
There is NO SCRAMBLING (not yelling *LOL*) You switch plans with the click of your mouse and why I LOVE Advantage C.

In fact I just did it, Medicare is a great system. I shop the best plan for me every year so this year after having United Health Care for the last 2 years, (maybe 3?) I just switched to a Aetna Plan.
Do you know how easy it is? No, because the press doesnt tell you.

Let me first say if your not computer literate and dont do anything online, all it takes is one phone call and you are done.

I do everything on line so, here were the steps.
1. Knowing the time to switch is Nov/Dec I was shopping for quite some time
2. Pick a new plan, decided with hesitation to leave my much love UHC Advantage C plan and go with Aetna for even more money in my pocket.
3. Log onto my medicare.gov account, chose my new plan and company, click and I am done, enrolled for the new year. Absolutely nothing else to do, not one piece of paperwork. medicare.gov has all your information and they handle it all.

Actually your "news" story is what I love about Advantage C plans, they are one year contracts, that is all. Every year even if your company still has the same plan I can switch at that time of year for anyone who offers more. Its no different then shopping for any product, competition rules but even more so, as medicare.gov takes care of everything and since these companies want your business, they compete with incredible options. I pick the options that work best for me.

Im glad you brought up that article, hopefully I helped explain what a great system we have in the USA> I do give credit where credit is due and if there is a government program that is the pinnacle of efficiency medicare.gov works well.
You are NEVER scrambling for ANYTHING, click and you're done, they have all your information because you are under medicare, medicare pays your premiums. If you cant click, call.

That's all good hints you posted. With that being said -many are going to have to switch Doctors-because many will not take the plans that are available. OR-find a new Doctor which may not be that easy due to San Diego being somewhat isolated from the next major city.
I still believe the payments to hospitals need to be more equitable. When you have to spend $30.00 or $40.00 to mount a tire at a tire store-and then a hospital gets $38.00 for a battery of blood tests-something seems off.

Last edited:
That's all good hints you posted. With that being said -many are going to have to switch Doctors-because many will not take the plans that are available. OR-find a new Doctor which may not be that easy due to San Diego being somewhat isolated from the next major city.
I still believe the payments to hospitals need to be more equitable. When you have to spend $30.00 or $40.00 to mount a tire at a tire store-and then a hospital gets $38.00 for a battery of blood tests-something seems off.
I understand your posts but from them I can tell you are not in a Medicare plan.
Im sincere in what I am posting. Look at it this way. I'll use my wife's company as an example, which is now international. Great benefits but they do shop insurance every year to keep costs down. So it's not unusual for them to switch companies every couple years, sometimes for a year. All among the standard companies.

Advantage C is no different if you are one of the select very few that the company decides to get out of. The networks are all the same, MOST of the same doctors are all in the same networks. It would be extremely rare for a doctor who is in large insurance networks to not have them all. Im a perfect example. TRULY, I moved from SC to NC just this year, once you move out of your area you have to switch to the plan in your area. It was a nothing, the same company UHC, literally started my plan here where I live now. I didnt do anything, it was just transferred over here with new cards and id number. Every hospital and doctor who is in networks is all the same here. They all take the same plans from the same large companies. The thing is, I could care less if they didnt approve a plan for my area because then, I can switch companies right away and not wait until the typical allowed yearly switch times.

By the way, as posted I just switched to Aetna for more benefits, even though I loved UHC. Weill see how it goes with them and if I dont like it? in less than a year I can switch again. But regarding your posts, Have UHC and moving to Aetna, I checked online and Aetna has all the same hospitals and all the same doctors as I do now and that means, every possible one in this area, including Duke University.

What I am saying, your post about a health ins company opting out is because they could not make the profits that they wanted. I assume many small companies can. But it's a big nothing, no one is left without coverage, no one. Your in the medicare system there isnt a place in the USA without coverage, so you just switch. United Health Care has MILLIONS of people in Advantage C, Aetna, Blue Cross, Humana. Seems like the best thing for those people in your post is that they finally move to a large company.
there "one offs" where some doctors and hospitals will take one and not the other? Sure, but that is the same with your employee health plan too, or any health plan.

Lets play worst case, I dont even want to post this because it doesnt happen, but lets say your post was correct and those people cant find coverage. My question would be, and? So what.

Then they have to seamlessly switch back to traditional medicare with a click of a mouse or phone call AND if they dont want to pay 20% of all their medical costs AND 100% of their drug costs for the rest of their lives (except hospitals covered 100%) they will be buying supplemental insurance G or N PLUS a drug plan D from the very private insurance companies using the same networks as the Advantage C plans because those are the same companies offering G or N and D plans. But it will cost you in this case 200 to $300 extra a month with rising costs as you age. One big benefit is with this plan there isnt any out of pocket costs except some of the drugs and dentists vision hearing. With Advantage C you do pay co-pays and have an out of pocket limit that can cary widely and why one must compare plans, again, easy to do on the .gov website.

Im posting this for those interested and truly not debating you, it's the freaking MEDIA and much of their brain dead so called reporters that cannot properly post s complete news story. Im kind of passionate on the subject because its freaking scary now a days with so called "news"

Ok, so here it goes.
Worst case, every American who gets Medicare can do the following;
1. Traditional, meaning only hospital coverage, nothing else, that is free. Optional pay $175 a month and that covers doctors, procedures, any acknowledged medical procedure. BTW with traditional medicare doctors do not have to accept that either. (we still live in a free country) Ok, so that is it, traditional medicare. $175 a month, covers everything for all doctors and hospitals who accept Medicare which is about 90% or so. With that said, how many understand that YOU pay a 20% co-pay for ALL medical procedures and Doctor bills (other that hospital) Understand the scope of that? Can you imagine bills that now total in the 100s of thousands you being liable for 20% of everything?

2. In then comes other options. Private Medigap plans will pick up the costs of what medicare wont pay for which is that other 20%.
Typically a G or N plan, you will then never have another bill in your life, as long as you choose doctors who accept Medicare>
Keep in mind, non of the above covers prescription drugs, so you then will have to choose another plan for that, Plan D
So you will be paying the Government cost of $175 PLUS the Medigap and part D cost of another $200 to $300 a month = roughly $400 to $500 a month. ALL THESE ARE NUMBERS AS EXAMPLES.
Plus you will pay your own Dental, Hearing and Visions costs and services.

All told if your advantage C plan shuts down at the end of the year at a cost of the Medicare plan of $175 which includes Dental, Vision, Hearing plus perks, for example I am given $1,200 a year to buy anything I want as long as it is related to an activity, plus $300 for contacts, plus $45 every three months for over the counter items or you seemlessly can go back to Traditional if no others are available.

BTW - A agree 100% at the discounted prices they pay under these plans. It doesnt seem possible, how can a hospital bill, 7 hours I was there, I did get a complicated procedure using advanced equipment running 4 wires through my veins in my legs up to my heart. But the cost was over $120,000 and agreed ins cost was around $25,000. Ill have to pay attention to my wife's employee plan, she will be getting a procedure this year, Im not sure if they show the retail cost like Medicare does. Will see but even her, when her company changes needs to be sure her doctors are in the network.

I find this subject really interesting, I have thought about getting a license to help elders because I do feel that not everyone is treated right or understand the system. But it does work and works well.
The bottom line is, if your plan closes down, then go back to Traditional Medicare, pay your $200, $300 or $400 EXTRA a month plus all dental, vision and hearing bills if you dont want another C plan. I personally rather have that choice rather than misleading news stories having the public limit my choices.
(I see some typos in here *LOL* Im not going back to correct them all)

Last edited:
alarmguy, you've navigated the system and clearly you understand it and it works well for you, but as described, it doesn't sound simple at all to me (but I'm slow on the uptake). I've been on my wife's public employee's health plan for 25 years, and everything is simple. I dread the day I have to go on Medicare.

alarmguy, you've navigated the system and clearly you understand it and it works well for you, but as described, it doesn't sound simple at all to me (but I'm slow on the uptake). I've been on my wife's public employee's health plan for 25 years, and everything is simple. I dread the day I have to go on Medicare.
Oh, I can understand the feeling. If you're getting close, start researching now if that is your thing.
I do understand your feelings but it REALLY is simple choices. At 65 you automatically end up under Medicare hospital insurance and also Medicare will sign you up for doctor insurance and take $175 out of your SS check. Those two alone will pay all medical expenses up to 80% and you will pay the other 20% Execpt hospitals coverage is 100%

It's then up to you if you want more coverage and medicare makes it simple. One tip, if you go to Advantage C plans, for me, the prime thing is to want a low out of pocket liability. Same as any health insurance I personally make sure, no matter what happens to me my out of pocket limit is as low as possible which the low plans are around $3000 to $5000 a year. Remember that is out of pocket, not deductible, there is no deductible with MOST Advantage C
Options are good, dont let it scare you!

I understand your posts but from them I can tell you are not in a Medicare plan.
Im sincere in what I am posting. Look at it this way. I'll use my wife's company as an example, which is now international. Great benefits but they do shop insurance every year to keep costs down. So it's not unusual for them to switch companies every couple years, sometimes for a year. All among the standard companies.

Advantage C is no different if you are one of the select very few that the company decides to get out of. The networks are all the same, MOST of the same doctors are all in the same networks. It would be extremely rare for a doctor who is in large insurance networks to not have them all. Im a perfect example. TRULY, I moved from SC to NC just this year, once you move out of your area you have to switch to the plan in your area. It was a nothing, the same company UHC, literally started my plan here where I live now. I didnt do anything, it was just transferred over here with new cards and id number. Every hospital and doctor who is in networks is all the same here. They all take the same plans from the same large companies. The thing is, I could care less if they didnt approve a plan for my area because then, I can switch companies right away and not wait until the typical allowed yearly switch times.

By the way, as posted I just switched to Aetna for more benefits, even though I loved UHC. Weill see how it goes with them and if I dont like it? in less than a year I can switch again. But regarding your posts, Have UHC and moving to Aetna, I checked online and Aetna has all the same hospitals and all the same doctors as I do now and that means, every possible one in this area, including Duke University.

What I am saying, your post about a health ins company opting out is because they could not make the profits that they wanted. I assume many small companies can. But it's a big nothing, no one is left without coverage, no one. Your in the medicare system there isnt a place in the USA without coverage, so you just switch. United Health Care has MILLIONS of people in Advantage C, Aetna, Blue Cross, Humana. Seems like the best thing for those people in your post is that they finally move to a large company.
there "one offs" where some doctors and hospitals will take one and not the other? Sure, but that is the same with your employee health plan too, or any health plan.

Lets play worst case, I dont even want to post this because it doesnt happen, but lets say your post was correct and those people cant find coverage. My question would be, and? So what.

Then they have to seamlessly switch back to traditional medicare with a click of a mouse or phone call AND if they dont want to pay 20% of all their medical costs AND 100% of their drug costs for the rest of their lives (except hospitals covered 100%) they will be buying supplemental insurance G or N PLUS a drug plan D from the very private insurance companies using the same networks as the Advantage C plans because those are the same companies offering G or N and D plans. But it will cost you in this case 200 to $300 extra a month with rising costs as you age. One big benefit is with this plan there isnt any out of pocket costs except some of the drugs and dentists vision hearing. With Advantage C you do pay co-pays and have an out of pocket limit that can cary widely and why one must compare plans, again, easy to do on the .gov website.

Im posting this for those interested and truly not debating you, it's the freaking MEDIA and much of their brain dead so called reporters that cannot properly post s complete news story. Im kind of passionate on the subject because its freaking scary now a days with so called "news"

Ok, so here it goes.
Worst case, every American who gets Medicare can do the following;
1. Traditional, meaning only hospital coverage, nothing else, that is free. Optional pay $175 a month and that covers doctors, procedures, any acknowledged medical procedure. BTW with traditional medicare doctors do not have to accept that either. (we still live in a free country) Ok, so that is it, traditional medicare. $175 a month, covers everything for all doctors and hospitals who accept Medicare which is about 90% or so. With that said, how many understand that YOU pay a 20% co-pay for ALL medical procedures and Doctor bills (other that hospital) Understand the scope of that? Can you imagine bills that now total in the 100s of thousands you being liable for 20% of everything?

2. In then comes other options. Private Medigap plans will pick up the costs of what medicare wont pay for which is that other 20%.
Typically a G or N plan, you will then never have another bill in your life, as long as you choose doctors who accept Medicare>
Keep in mind, non of the above covers prescription drugs, so you then will have to choose another plan for that, Plan D
So you will be paying the Government cost of $175 PLUS the Medigap and part D cost of another $200 to $300 a month = roughly $400 to $500 a month. ALL THESE ARE NUMBERS AS EXAMPLES.
Plus you will pay your own Dental, Hearing and Visions costs and services.

All told if your advantage C plan shuts down at the end of the year at a cost of the Medicare plan of $175 which includes Dental, Vision, Hearing plus perks, for example I am given $1,200 a year to buy anything I want as long as it is related to an activity, plus $300 for contacts, plus $45 every three months for over the counter items or you seemlessly can go back to Traditional if no others are available.

BTW - A agree 100% at the discounted prices they pay under these plans. It doesnt seem possible, how can a hospital bill, 7 hours I was there, I did get a complicated procedure using advanced equipment running 4 wires through my veins in my legs up to my heart. But the cost was over $120,000 and agreed ins cost was around $25,000. Ill have to pay attention to my wife's employee plan, she will be getting a procedure this year, Im not sure if they show the retail cost like Medicare does. Will see but even her, when her company changes needs to be sure her doctors are in the network.

I find this subject really interesting, I have thought about getting a license to help elders because I do feel that not everyone is treated right or understand the system. But it does work and works well.
The bottom line is, if your plan closes down, then go back to Traditional Medicare, pay your $200, $300 or $400 EXTRA a month plus all dental, vision and hearing bills if you dont want another C plan. I personally rather have that choice rather than misleading news stories having the public limit my choices.
(I see some typos in here *LOL* Im not going back to correct them all)
Utah is an outlier for medical services. The defacto medical provider is Select Health/Intermountain. They have many hospitals in Utah and some in Idaho.Ironically the ones in Idaho are not "in network" if you enroll in Utah. If you can't go in to a Select Health Hospital (Which are called-Inter mountain) -you are at a grave disadvantage. So you really have limited choices for advantage plans. You have Select Health or UHP. Everything else limits your hospital choices-severely.
I had traditional Medicare-then looked at a Select Health Advantage plan-to find out all my Doctors, Hospitals that I use is under the Select Heath Umbrella. I saved $300.00/month switching to a Select Health Advantage Plan.

Back