Jewelry insurance: policy vs rider

Does anyone have anecdotal evidence on whether or not considerable savings are to be had with having jewelry insured on the homeowner's policy vs separately? Specifically, my wife's engagement ring has always had its own policy (up for renewal now) so I'm wondering if it's worth my time pursuing other options. I'm paying $90 annually for a diamond worth about $7500 and it has held pretty steady over the past few years, so not too concerned about keeping this as-is but I'm curious to hear from anyone that has had experiences with this type of thing.

I have a separate policy thru Jeweler's Mutual for about $350 on my wife's ring, but it is a significantly higher value than yours.

I do like their policy form and in this day and age, I would prefer to keep any claims off of my Homeowner's policy.

A personal article’s policy is probably the way to go.

If you can even endorse on enough coverage keep in mind you need a single limit enough to cover the ring and an aggregate limit high enough to cover all the jewelry (and perhaps fur)

Also keep in mind a PA policy may have better coverage as an endorsement may not broaden the named perils in the HO.

It all depends on what policy forms and. How your provider has or has not modified them.

I’d strongly advise you to make a comprehensive inventory and sit down with your agent.

FYI Mrs DuckRyder’s rings and earrings are on a PA policy.

Back