Does anybody NOT have a cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I dumped my AT&T p[an for Consumer Cellular last year and never looked back, $100 a month cheaper.
I could easily live without one, I use it very little but its good when you need it or emergency.

I have to agree with you that AT&T is company to avoid and dump
lol.gif
. No one seems to mention mint mobile. They are only charging right now $15 a month for unlimited talk/text and 2G of data if you buy a three month service for $45. I wouldn't use them if T-Mobile coverage is not great in the area where you live.

Ugh, one for work, one for personal.
Church and state... no work on personal and no personal on work.
I can only dream of disconnecting. Frankly hate both mobile devices.
And I swear there has to be a special place in the afterlife for spammers and number spoofs.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Ugh, one for work, one for personal.
Church and state... no work on personal and no personal on work.
I can only dream of disconnecting. Frankly hate both mobile devices.
And I swear there has to be a special place in the afterlife for spammers and number spoofs.

Same … but one US and one foreign company phone + personal iPhone …
Same with 2 iPads … all Apple … (and one spare, no SIM) …
Dell is the lead brick to lug though …

I have had a Pure Talk phone now for 2 years. It is $20/mo with unlimited talk and text and 500k data. Works for me. Wife can now find me.

I only have one because my hobby involves a lot of travel, and sometimes I need to be reached, or reach others. And it allows me to waste time on Bitog from just about anywhere, like I am now.
smile.gif

I was an early adopter, but that's a two-fold story ... I dumped my landline at the same time.

I was such a small % of people who had done that at the time (mid 90's) that I had to lie to my bank, which required a landline as a condition of service. That's obviously no longer the case, but many people would be surprised to learn that it ever was.

I've had them all as far as accounts go. For a while it was even my link to the internet as my Phone provider didn't charge for or disable Personal Hotspot, so I was all in for $C 85/mo [US $ 66]. Contrary to the scare stories the ISPs peddle to you, it even worked for streaming Netflix without dropouts. That plan was unlimited everything Canada-wide and North America-wide for texting. If you went past 30GB/mo data they would send you a polite note.

Now, retired, don't travel as much, so the contract is over and I have a simple 450 minute daytime / unlimited eve/wknd / unlimited daytime to another phone from the same provider / unlimited LongDx / unlimited text / No Data Pay-As-You-Go (no contract) at $C 21/mo [$US 16.40] but I now also need an Internet connection (10Mbps).

Only person I know without one is my Mother. She's got no computer,no email address and never had a Credit card.

She's 73 and lives old school for most things.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I only switched to a smart phone a few years ago; it's indispensable for Apps that allow me to send information to my i3 and 2er- and in the case of the i3 I can also monitor charging. When I worked at BMW I delivered a new 7 Series to an older couple. Really nice people, very humble and polite. The husband didn't have a phone and the wife only had a cheap flip phone. On another board I frequent there is a guy who owns two homes and three late model Mercedes. He only has a burner phone. He's kind of odd in other ways as well. Some of us think he's a prime candidate for an autonomous car, so you can figure it out from there...

Which other board / thread is this? Seems like an interesting read ....

I'm just shy of turning 30, I bought my first smartphone about 2 years ago, an iPhone 6s. Until then I used an Nokia E61 and then an E62 with physical keyboard. I never was that attracted to smartphones, I rather spent my money on cars and my motorcycles. But I'm thinking of getting an Blackberry Key2 - I really love physical keys.

My wife finally got a cell phone in 2017. We have our land line with Spectrum, so if the power goes out, we don't have a way of contacting 911. Haven't used it yet but nice to know we contact help if needed.

I wouldn’t be without one. Yea they are a pita in some ways but can really save someone’s bacon . I spend a lot. Of time off in the puckerbush and such doing all the things that you should never do alone but still do. Tractors, chainsaws, backhoe things like that. I play it safe but still think Supermans dead so like the odds on my side.
Same goes for the boat. I’m on a huge lake with a boat that nobody’s gonna paddle. Then there’s the weather. We have cold water and not so violent weather. Still. Those June July thunder storms can hop right over that mountain or lay back and send a half hour of 40+ mph winds at you do suddenly that you think your steering cable is. broken. Then within 5 minutes you are in 4+’ waves wallowing and going nowhere . I’ve dialed home a few times for fishermen to tell the wife they were ok after a storm. All this now is unnnecessary as everyone can see the weather , it’s movement and speed quite easily using one of. Many apps.
The other big feature is the moving map. Pitch black and shoals , Hard to find inlets are no problem. Just plug it in clamp onto the mount on the windshield and watch the littte red boat scoot across the map. You even have the exact. Speed which helps for exact trimming. You can cross reference with the depth finder in case of a discrepancy . If you hit a log and tear the Outdrive off and are sinking you can call 911 give them your exact coordinates so they will
Know exactly where to look for you straight off.
Naturally like everyone else I use it senselessly sending texts and what not but it’s comforting to have all that technology along. You never know when something bad might happen and that phone may save someone’s life.

I don't. Never have. Would be convienent at times. They've finally dropped enough in price + there is enough competition that I would consider one.

Never had one or want one, cracks me up when going on a break at work, as soon as people sit they have their faces buried in their phones, looks like a hunchback convention.
lol.gif

Smart phones are very powerful and useful, and it's really not that expensive to have one. Can get a good phone plan for $30/month these days, lots of competion between providers which has brought down the cost of a phone and plan.

I just made this post from my phone, and have full internet access in case I need to Google something when away from my desktop computer. Comes in useful quite often.

I went from no cell phone at all to iPhone 7 and never will look back. I cancelled home line and Verizon service is incredible in my parts.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I carry two.

Me too. Personal and Company phone. Drives me crazy. I have to keep up with a dozen techs, 100+ emails, 50 to 100 texts, a dispatch center on google hangouts, and my laptop at home on my desk through google remote desktop.
Do you know how i celebrated the 4th yesterday? turned off both phones and vegged on the couch.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
We don't own one. Live out in the sticks and a in a black cell hole. In fact we are still on very slow darn near dial-up speed internet.

I think you can get internet through a satellite dish, like Dish Network and/or DirecTV, not sure which has it. Certainly download speeds (the most important) are very fast from the satellite, and uploads can be done on the hard phone lines. .... I thought I once heard uploads are possible on the dish, but I don't see how one can focus the signal well enough to get it to a geosynchronous orbit satellite way out there in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back