Medical Alert Systems

The Apple Watch also functions similarly to the pendant in that you push and hold the button and after 5 seconds it initiates the emergency calling/alerting protocol. Also, at least on the Apple Watch Ultra, it has a siren built in that could be used to get the attention of those not in the same room since yelling is often not possible in such situations.

My strong belief is that we need to learn the new technology before we need it. By then, it will be too late. My in-laws eschewed technology. Now, in their mid-80s they are unable to keep up and it has serious consequences. There will come a time in all of our lives if we are lucky enough to live long enough, that we won't be able to safely drive any longer. Uber is a very easy to use app. We should all be comfortable using Uber now so that when we need Uber there won't be a huge challenge. My father in law has been to the hospital twice this year. First time they sent him home with an Oxygen concentrator. It's a pretty simple machine with an electronic interface with a few buttons. It was a nightmare teaching my in-laws how to use it. They were so scared of electronics. I tried to remove it from its carrying case and they threw a fit. Leave it in! We'll never get it back in again. Then it over-heated, turned off, and he went half the night without O2. My wife was there at least 10 times to explain to them how to charge it up and turn it off. There is no way that they'd be comfortable using an Apple Watch that needed to get charged every day or other day.

My father in law also fell. Luckily, he stopped his blood thinner a few days before the fall or it could have been a lot more serious.

Good discussion.

I’ll add this would be a good case for the Army “One is none and two is one”. Suggest , get familiar with Siri. If you can talk/yell within distance of an iPhone Siri can call 911 for you.

Related, have them keep phone on them at all times (ok, in the shower if you keep it on the counter, Siri can still hear you if you yell)

Good discussion.

I’ll add this would be a good case for the Army “One is none and two is one”. Suggest , get familiar with Siri. If you can talk/yell within distance of an iPhone Siri can call 911 for you.

Related, have them keep phone on them at all times (ok, in the shower if you keep it on the counter, Siri can still hear you if you yell)
Or wear the waterproof dive rated watch which is fine in the shower and automatically calls without you yelling if need be. In case yelling isn't possible. Like being unconscious. And if not then yelling at the watch works equally well.

One after another -

Here is another story

The stories are endless and before some flame me, Im not promoting anything, just what I know and one thing for sure, medical alert devices work, certainly anyone prone to danger or dangerous conditions should have one, I don't care what make. It should be the type that will work anywhere as a plus.

Last edited:

The Apple Watch calls emergency services, 911 for us Yanks, and it also calls anyone in your phone contacts you have chosen and designated as an emergency contact.

My local fire and rescue doesn’t even have caller id… I called from a facility and they had to ask for the address…

It find that a bit strange… So I wonder if many EMS and fire and rescue locations have that ability to find someone’s exact location via that persons phone?

I would certainly think it would be quite possible. It’s obvious that a phone has the exact location clearly delineated due to its tracking technology.

Does anyone have one for yourself or loved ones? I'm to the point that I would feel better having one.
About 6 months or so ago I fell and could not even crawl or get up. Thankfully I was on the phone with
a friend and she called my Daughter. I have zero knowledge on them. Will also ask my Daughter, who is a RN.
Went with MobileHelp for my mom. They were #1 on National AGing council and on US News and World Report. She said they are in her AARP magazine alot too. When we called, they said they actually make their own products unlike most of the other companies who just buy it from soneone and put a label on it.

My local fire and rescue doesn’t even have caller id… I called from a facility and they had to ask for the address…

It find that a bit strange… So I wonder if many EMS and fire and rescue locations have that ability to find someone’s exact location via that persons phone?

I would certainly think it would be quite possible. It’s obvious that a phone has the exact location clearly delineated due to its tracking technology.
1. Dont the following as entirely correct but now I am going to look into it. I believe Apple Devices give exact location to emergency services but cannot say that for certain.

2. I do KNOW for certain, if you have emergency contacts set up on your Apple phone, if your phone detects an accident OR if your Apple watch detects a fall, it WILL text your exact location to those people (friends and family) complete with a map. Who would then if #1 does not provide location, family would be able to relay that location information.

3. In addition the new iPhones can communicate via satellite if you are out of range from cell service.

Went with MobileHelp for my mom. They were #1 on National AGing council and on US News and World Report. She said they are in her AARP magazine alot too. When we called, they said they actually make their own products unlike most of the other companies who just buy it from soneone and put a label on it.
Thank you. My Mom had an incident yesterday and will be going with MobileHelp as well. Thank you.

Back