Medical Alert Systems

Does anyone have one for yourself or loved ones? I'm to the point that I would feel better having one.
About 6 months or so ago I fell and could not even crawl or get up. Thankfully I was on the phone with
a friend and she called my Daughter. I have zero knowledge on them. Will also ask my Daughter, who is a RN.

I was researching this about 6-8 months ago for my mother. I think I was going to go with Medical Guardian. They have decent ratings.

Most all are the same-

About $30/mo
Home and away monitoring
Fall detection

I don't know how well PC Mag is respected, but here is a list from them-

You can easily do a search for Medical Alert Systems and read reviews/etc.

The Apple Watch has fall detection. Watch this video, go to the 1:20 mark if you want to skip his personal experience:

I have not used any, I used to install pendants and watch type ones as part of overall voice security systems for some seniors but they only work around the house within range of the system. Apple Watch below works anyplace.
Anyway, I see @Hillbilly Deluxe posted PC Magazine which is a good place to start research.

Also depending on your needs, Apple Watch has built in fall detection. Not sure how good you are with electronics but the watch can be paired with an iPhone OR the watch can have its own built in cell phone number to send out alerts. IT is a robust system, including what @skyactiv posted while I was typing this reply :).

But again, depending on needs I think you may want to go with a dedicated one like in the PC Magazine based on your post about being concerned, meaning not knowing you, not sure how comfortable you would be with a multi function device as an Apple Watch or a one purpose device like the Medical Alert.
You do not say if you are on Medicare but if you have an Advantage C plan. Many (not all) Advantage C plans will pay the cost of a medical alert device. Regular Medicare does not this is another perk of MOST OR MANY Advantage C plans.

Last edited:
My Neighour, an ex Fire Department Captain, and I were called by a friend to help lift the friends wife off the floor. This is real. At some point many people will have a fall from which they cannot get up.

The friend is currently looking at an assisted living home for them.

I'm not very electronic smart. Just want to push a button in an emergency is all. Last time I fell, I was in really bad shape and my mind was not there. Spent 3 months in the hospital and nursing home. Would have most likely died on the floor, if not for my friend.

I'm not very electronic smart. Just want to push a button in an emergency is all. Last time I fell, I was in really bad shape and my mind was not there. Spent 3 months in the hospital and nursing home. Would have most likely died on the floor, if not for my friend.
Then you want a true decade medical alert. Someone posted a PC Mag link above. Also you didnt say if you have an Advantage C plan, if you do, check with them, good chance they will pay for it and the guess work is left out because they tell you what it is.

For example, United Health Care Advantage C plans offer this service, since they cover MILLIONS of people, maybe you can even call the company and find out more if you pay for it.

I see that they have a direct website if you dont have united health care. If it was me I would start here, since we know they are in the business of providing this service to United Health and they would not use them if it wasnt reputable.

iPhone seems like the easy fix. Add iWatch and your there as long as your wearing it…

Ring has a reasonably priced stand alone unit that links to Ring alarm. You could even add more than one if risk is high. (I’m considering one for my parents bathroom; risk of fall out of shower is high)

Hopefully, I will task my Daughter the chore of picking one out and getting it hooked up. I have zero interest or tolerance for electronic gadgets. I'll just pay the bill and want a button to push if needed.

iPhone seems like the easy fix. Add iWatch and your there as long as your wearing it…

Ring has a reasonably priced stand alone unit that links to Ring alarm. You could even add more than one if risk is high. (I’m considering one for my parents bathroom; risk of fall out of shower is high)
The problem is all the modern solutions need some electronic gadget comfort. I had a pendant for my mother that worked via a base-station in the house. Limited range but it worked very easily. You have to balance ease of use with features.

My Neighour, an ex Fire Department Captain, and I were called by a friend to help lift the friends wife off the floor. This is real. At some point many people will have a fall from which they cannot get up.

The friend is currently looking at an assisted living home for them.

My 80 yo mother fell for the 4th time in 9 months yesterday. I can't get her up by myself. I was 45+ minutes away when she called. I told her to tell her friend, who was "getting help" to call the fire department. 2 hours later, the people in the ER call me, tell me she's there, seems to be ok, getting checked out.

I'm looking at putting her back into Assisted Living. She went to AL for 2-1/2 months back in the summer after a hospital stay after a fall on Good Friday.

Dealing with elderly parents isn't fun.

True… Very true experience and statement…

I have put a thread or two in here about the very real danger from falls.

And anyone on a blood thinner who falls… Can easily be fatal… A person on this who hits their head very hard on a hard surface… If they have internal bleeding inside their head… Bad, bad deal there.

A broken femur bone with a razor sharp edge cuts the femoral artery inside someone’s hip/ leg area… Will be lose blood significantly in hardly no time. And be gone. And this is true for any human being.

A low crashing blood glucose can easily cause a fall… The unresponsiveness.

Low blood pressures can cause a fall and get someone hurt or killed…. I have a neighbor who passed out from this and he had a severely broken hip and pelvis… His femur ended up inside his abdomen… A miracle he survived all of that damage that happened and all the related aftermath of that event.

A heart rate no longer regulated by the SA node in the heart could easily cause a fall… About happened to my own mom. She walked up her stairs and said she felt horrible.. Her heart rate was 40…. No wonder she felt so extremely bad… Heart beat not keeping up with activity. She had a pacemaker placed 2 months later. She could have possibly passed out and fell down the steps. She used my pulse oximeter I gave her and she thought to check her oxygen level and heart rate and she knew that verified something was terribly wrong.

A medical alert device is a great great idea… So is having a few legit good friends or family member nearby too who will e close enough by to come help you if needed.

Last edited:
The thing with the pendant is you have to be able to push the button, at least on most. With the Apple Watch if you fall it tells you it appears you fell and is going to alert. If you are awake and ok you can cancel it. Otherwise it alerts. If you are unconscious who will push the pendant button? I have the AW for other features, pulse ox and ECG among others, but the fall feature is nice to have in there just in case. And it works. I set it off once while clapping goofing off. I canceled it but glad to know it works.

The thing with the pendant is you have to be able to push the button, at least on most. With the Apple Watch if you fall it tells you it appears you fell and is going to alert. If you are awake and ok you can cancel it. Otherwise it alerts. If you are unconscious who will push the pendant button? I have the AW for other features, pulse ox and ECG among others, but the fall feature is nice to have in there just in case. And it works. I set it off once while clapping goofing off. I canceled it but glad to know it works.

But who does apple alert to ?

I’m assuming it’s a local fire and rescue..

A pendant is certainly better than zero.. . But yeah if you just collapse and go unresponsive… Yeah it won’t help in reality.

In a fall IF someone is responsive and awake then a pendant is far, far better than nothing.

If you are getting one, get one that is waterproof and has the fall activation as it will alert you if you can't push the button. I am an EMT and have been called out more than once to a home where they have the pendant but were incapable of pushing the button. Wear it in the shower as many times falls are in the bathroom. If you have any rugs in the home, get rid of them as they are huge trip hazards. Good luck

A pendant is certainly better than zero.. . But yeah if you just collapse and go unresponsive… Yeah it won’t help in reality.

In a fall IF someone is responsive and awake then a pendant is far, far better than nothing.
Someone we know took a hard hit in an automobile recently, someone ran a stop sign. Both parties required an ambulance however she was released the same day. What she didn’t know at the time is her iPhone called the people on her emergency contact list and told them her location when the phone detected the impact.

Watch does similar things. I’m still in the camp that the dedicated medical alert services that offer 24 hour devices are good for those not to swift with technology as Apple watches need to stay charged on a daily to bi daily basis and have many functions that may confuse some people.

At the same time Apple Watches have incredible technology built in but not sure it’s for everyone.
Others may find these links interesting on what they do, it’s really amazing if you fall with one on. Other devices I THINK operate in similar ways.

If you do fall it will tap your wrist, if you don’t respond it will call emergency services. It can also use satellite technology IF paired to an iPhone 14 or later in case no cell signal. Good for solo adventures of all ages. The watch is also available with a cell unit and capable of its own cell number.

Last edited:

The Apple Watch calls emergency services, 911 for us Yanks, and it also calls anyone in your phone contacts you have chosen and designated as an emergency contact.

Back